Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
live bait into Quebec? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 04-05-2002, 07:53 PM
cueman

Default RE: live bait into Quebec?

Seanik,

I fish the Kipiwa lake area and the 5 3/4 lb walleye
I caught last year in june was on a simple #6 hook sinker
and leech a few cranks off the bottom. had just as much
luck with that if not better than with a jig, but i'm sure
it depends on the mood of the fish. hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2002, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Pete:

Below I have copied the response I received to an email I sent to the Quebec authorities regarding the transportation and use of live leeches:

Thank you for your " e-mail " requesting information about the
transportation of live leeches. First of all, you can use live leeches to fish in Quebec and in Zone 13 West. Secondly, you're allowed to transport them from Ontario to Quebec. However, the leeches aren't bait-fish, so you can purchase and transport them without any problems.

Anne-Marie Roy
Centre d'information sur l'environnement, la faune et les parcs
675 boul. René-Lévesque est, RC. Boîte : 88
Québec (Québec) G1R 5V7
Téléphone : (418) 521-3830 ou 1 800 561-1616
Télécopieur : (418) 646-5974
Courriel : anne-marie.roy@menv.gouv.qc.ca

I trust this information helps. Jay
Old 04-07-2002, 08:40 PM
PETE/NY

Thanks for the correct information. 2 years ago we fished at Watson Lake and when we stopped at a bait store along the way, this was what we were told then-leeches are illegal in Quebec.We didn!t pursue it any further but it could well have been that this dealer did not handle leeches as he tried to sell us overpriced worms but we had brought our own.I just came back from a weekend in Ontario and at Canadian Customs I asked the agent if leeches were still illegal to transport into Canada and he said they are Not to be brought in.Worms in artificial bedding is OK.I just e mailed the lodge in Quebec ( Lake Ogascanan) asking them if they sell leeches. If not I will buy them in Ontario. Good fishing to all.
Old 04-08-2002, 06:45 PM
PETE/NY

RETIRE55- I just got an e mail back from Ginny at Lake Ogascanan, Que and she couldnt find anything in the current regulation booklet so she called another outfitter in the same ZEC and YES you are all correct in saying that leeches are legal. She does not sell them but some bait stores do carry them.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:27 PM
Minnow

Default We are not all " frenchmen in Quebec

If you don't like the rules in Quebec Why don't you just stay home and save your precious US bucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETE/NY View Post
Leeches are considered live bait and they are NOT allowed to be used in Quebec.Worms are the only legal livebait allowed. DEAD salted minnows have worked well for us in the past as have the Manns artificial leeches on a jighead. We were told by a ZEC officer that if they stop your boat and you have a minnow net or trap onboard it will be confiscated and you will be issued a summons. Seeing I don!t want to give the frenchmen any more US bucks than I have to, we leave the afore mentioned stuff home.Good luck
Old 04-26-2011, 09:36 AM
Keeper

Quote:
If you don't like the rules in Quebec Why don't you just stay home and save your precious US bucks
Yikes Dung, that was 9 yrs ago...poor Pete might not even be alive.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:55 PM
Minnow

Default Here is some info I got last year before going to Deer Horn Lodge on the Cabonga

RE : Réservoir Cabonga‏
5/17/10
Reply ▼Reply
Reply all
Forward
Delete
Junk
Mark as unread
Mark as read
Delete all from sender
Print message
View message source
Show message history
Hide message history
Show details
Hide details Francois.Binet@mrnf.gouv.qc.caFranco...f. gouv.qc.ca

Send email
Find email Add to contactsTo emanonmac@hotmail.com
Sent: Mon 5/17/10 7:19 PM
To: emanonmac@hotmail.com

Hi Sir,

To answer to your question about the “bait fish’” the answer is yes. You can fish with the bait net and the trap fish, but they must be dead when you fish with them and they also must be dead when you travel with them.

Your second question, you can use leaches from the US, it’s legal.

If you need more answers to your questions, please contact me by E-Mail.

Thank you and have a nice day!

François Binet, sergent

Agent de liaison

Région de l’Abitibi-Témiscamingue

180 boulevard Rideau, Rouyn-Noranda J9X 1N9

tel:819-763-3344 poste 270 fax:819-763-3202

francois.binet@mrnf.gouv.qc.ca

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Services clientèle
Envoyé : 17 mai 2010 10:50
À : Binet, François (UDPF)
Cc : Dumont, Danny (UDPF)
Objet : Réservoir Cabonga

Monsieur,

Vous trouverez ci-jointe une demande reçue aux Services à la clientèle de notre Ministère le 15 mai 2010. Nous vous la transférons pour que vous puissiez en assurer le traitement et le suivi. Veuillez noter qu’il n’est pas nécessaire de nous transmettre une copie de votre réponse.

Nous vous prions de recevoir, Monsieur, nos meilleures salutations.

Liette Marcoux

Chef d’équipe

Direction des services à la clientèle

Ministère des Ressources naturelles et de la Faune

880, chemin Sainte-Foy, RC 120-C

Québec (Québec) G1S 4X4

Téléphone : 418 627-6258, poste 3882

liette.marcoux@mrnf.gouv.qc.ca

-----Message d'origine-----
De : emanonmac@hotmail.com [mailto:emanonmac@hotmail.com]
Envoyé : 15 mai 2010 00:23
À : Services clientèle
Objet : Publication La pêche sportive au Québec - Question ou commentaire (contact us)

Just want to clarify the rules concerning the use of bait fish on Cabonga Reservoir (Zone 13 West and Zone 12). Am I reading the regulations correct that only dead baitfish can be used while another regulation says one dip net and up to 3 bait traps per license holder may be used in these zones. If only dead bait fish may be used I take it we must allow any caught with a dip net or trap must be allowed to die before fishing with them. Additionally, while leeches are permitted, may they be brought in from the US or must they be purchased in Canada?

Expéditeur : Dennis McManus
Old 03-13-2012, 02:17 PM
finboy

Angry Spear fishing

with respest to proposed rules on live bait they are warrented but allowing divers to go down in anyQuebec waters and kill bass at will and be on the same level as sportsfisherman is abig NO see utube spearfishing bass lac st francois THe fish dont have a chance and once speared by shark gun they cannot be returned to the water always the largest are targetted so who put these guys on the same field as sportsfisherman for the sake of fairness and fair play I urge all true sportsfisherman and clubs to protest thiis lousey form of fishing no matter what secter especially for bass they have enough to contend with as it is
Old 03-13-2012, 04:55 PM
Wallhanger

You'll probably get more support if you start a new thread.

Dredging up a 10 year old thread that has nothing to do with your cause won't help your case.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:12 PM
Wallhanger

Thumbs up live bait

like thunderstick said you can bring in as many night crawlers as you want but they have to be in worm bedding not dirt. as for other live bait leeches are very good and easy to get or catch, in many places minnows are not allowed. as for hooking a leech,us a jig head and hook the leech in either end of body once thats it.