Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Dog Lake near Wawa - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 07-10-2002, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Default Dog Lake near Wawa

Has anyone fished this lake? What is the word on this lake? What about lodging? Thanks, Ohio fisherman
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2002, 06:03 AM
Melonbob

Default RE: Dog Lake near Wawa

Been fishing this lake for over 20 yrs now, fishing is good for just about anything, but it's a big lake, and they can be hard to locate at times. The past week has been a mayfly hatch, and things have been really slow. It will pick up. There are several lodges on the lake and a few RV parks in the town of Missanabie. Check it out, a great drive to place.....

bob
Old 07-14-2002, 02:29 PM
mike

Heading that way in mid August. Going with "RJ", was water down in the narrows? See Ya soon.
Old 07-15-2002, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Hey Melonbob,
Thanks for your info/weather reports etc. for the opener. I was with the group that went to Apisabigo with Ontario Wilderness Vacations. Met your brother. He seems like a good kid. By the way, it snowed for the first three days of our four day trip. Luckily we were prepared for the weather!
Can you give me some info on Dog Lake? I'm thinking of organizing a drive to trip for next year. What species are in there (SM,'eyes, pike, etc)? Camping facilities? How much do hotel rooms go for in Wawa? How large of a boat is practical on Dog Lake (i.e. launches, water depth, etc.)? When do the black flies go away!? What is your estimation of the best month to go for walleye and pike? Thanks Bob.
Tim
Old 07-17-2002, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Bump
Old 07-18-2002, 03:33 PM
MElonbob

Toolman,

Sorry I did not reply sooner,I'm on holidays at Dog right now....

You can catch walleye,pike, lake trout, smallmouth bass, perch and whitefish in Dog. I wouldn't go any larger than an 18' boat, since there are several narrows that get pretty shallow, also, there is a railroad bridge at the mid point of the lake that might be a height problem if the lake is really high. Our water fluctuates quite a bit because of a hydro dam at one end. I prefer the fishing in May and June, since Dog is pretty big and the walleye are most predictable then. I tend to have a hard time after that until late July, but I don't troll much. There are several lodges on the lake, I can get you numbers if you want. There are also two RV parks, but no hotels, you would have to stay in Wawa for that, and it's about 75 miles away. If you want more info, I'll be back from holidays Sunday night, I probably won't be checking the boards again until then.....take care

Bob
Old 07-19-2002, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Thanks MB,
We have flown out of the Hawk Junction area five or six times now and it looks like the lakes near there might be as god or better than farther north.
Anybody else have any info on Wawa/Hawk Junction area lakes. I would appreciate any input. That area is looks absolutely beautiful. Really looking for Walleye/SM/Pike lakes with Lakers a bonus.
Thanks,
Tim
Old 07-19-2002, 11:24 AM
EyeBanger

WE've been going to one for about 10 years, about 50 miles/80 km east of Wawa. Good walleye, Pike, and SM populations .....

http://www.duenorth.net/prairiebeecamps/