Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Missinaibi Lake - North of Chapleau, Ontario - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 01-30-2004, 09:17 PM
Minnow

Default Missinaibi Lake - North of Chapleau, Ontario

Does anyone have any information about the fishing here, species?
Advice on when to go?
Tips of where and how sort?
How does the it compare to Lake of the woods?
Anything would be great. Thanks.
F.W.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2004, 08:30 AM
Keeper

Default RE: Missinaibi Lake - North of Chapleau, Ontario

Wetline:

I don't know that this will be of any help, but I used to fly out of Chapleau for a number of years (until I purchased a boat.) While I never fished on Missinabi, I did fish a number of smaller lakes around little Missinabi. I flew with an outfitter called Pellows Cottages. The gentleman who owned it at the time had a number of fly in lakes that catered to pike, walleye and the occasional trout. Hugh (the owner) has since sold off the fly-ins and still runs the boat in (I think.) As far as the fishing goes, we spent far more time chasing pike than walleye but did get into some bigger walleyes while casting and trolling for pike.

As far as the region goes I think chapleau is one of the poorer regions to fly out of in this part of Ontario. This is not meant to be a slam on the area or its outfitters, as I have had many good trips there. It is just that it has been pounded for a long time, has not had a long tradition of catch and release, and the camps and outposts in the area are VERY rustic and primitive. It is a great place to go on a budget, but I think you will find MUCH better fishing elsewhere with a bit longer drive.

I would HIGHLY reccomend that you consider towns like Hornpayne or Nakina if you want to get better fishing and accomodations. Please consider Nagagami lake and Expeditions North Camps. I am going there for two weeks in June and consider the fishing to be excellent. They have an outstanding walleye population that is really accesible in the spring and I consider it to be a real sleeper pike lake as well. My best pike ever (39 3/4) came out of there last August. The accomodations at the camp are top notch and the owners (Americans from Michigan....Go Bucks!!) are really great people.

I hope this helps you in finding a place. Obviously I assumed you planned to fly in and recognize that this post is of little help if your plan was to drive. Let we know if you have any other questions as I am always looking for people to fish with and talk to about my obsession.

Ruddiger
Old 02-02-2004, 04:00 PM
Wallhanger

I'm sure Missinabi has some good fishing left to it - just has to..... BUT I wouldn't consider mentioning it in the same breath as LOW or Lac Seul.
You can have a great trip anywhere you choose (within your budget). As long as you dont count on fish for all your meals and a trophy for each guy - you'll have a great trip. If you know this going into the trip there will be less chance for disappointment.

I could give you more specific info via email if you want.

lobo1
Old 02-08-2004, 06:26 PM
RFW

Have driven up there with my boys 7 times in last 10 years and would be glad to share what I know about Big Missinaibi Lake/Park. Have lots of information/maps on the lake...just send me an email if you want some information. We think it is a wonderful place..going back this year (2600 mile drive for us)..but the road going in from Chapleau can be challenging..Barkley Bay Campground is rustic.
Russ
Old 02-24-2004, 10:32 AM
aclark@kcc.com

Hi - Is it possible you could provide me some information on Missinaibi and Little Missinaibi. We are considering going there in late may and would like an idea if it is worth it.

Thanks

Andrew
Old 02-24-2004, 02:10 PM
Tripper

Little Miss. is a fly-in lake. There's 2 outfitters that have camps on the lake. I know Hawk Air is one, not sure about the other. We flew into little Miss. several years ago and it was one of my best trips ever. Not only great walleye fishing but there's a walk in lake that's full of lake trout. The cabin is on an island just steps from the water. One of the nicest outposts I've ever been to. Missinaibi lake you can drive right to it. There's a provincial park at the end of the road along with a decent boat launch. I've never fished it but have friends in Chapleau who do on a regular basis. They fish it in the spring for lakers then later in the year for walleye. Big, beautiful, deep clear lake that doesn't see a ton of pressure. It's been on my list of lakes that I want to fish for a while.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:52 PM
Minnow

We've flown to Little Miss for the last 5 years with Hawk Air. Ontario Wilderness Vacations also has a camp there. Fishing is good, we average 300-400 walleye per week per boat. Never any walleye bigger than 2-3 #. Hawk Air has a waiting list for that lake but I don't know about AWV. The lake trout lake is a bit of a portage but really worth the effort. We are going again this year in August.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:03 PM
Slot Fish

wetline, I have fished Missinaibi several times, all in late May, early June. The available species are Lake Trout, walleye, northern pike, smallmouth bass and whitefish. It is a pretty big lake with some pretty interesting geological features. The lake is 43 km long, with the western end being clear, cold and very deep. The eastern end is quite shallow and sandy.Prime areas for walleyes are the traditional rocky shoal areas and drop offs adjacent to islands. Two particular walleye spots are Whitefish Falls and Jenner Bay. I have never done particulary well on this lake at this time of year for walleyes, maybe because we dont use live bait, but I have seen people using live bait doing well. I do think that there are better walleye lakes around this area, but fishing for mixed bags of species is also a blast.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:52 PM
smalle1

Default Big Miss Lake

I have fished this lake 3 times and although a beautiful scenic lake the fishing is terrible. The work to get to it is incredible and the reward is that the lake just does not produce. I have never fished the little Miss but here it is much better. The big Miss is not a good lake to take a kid if you want to catch fish.