Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Best way to slow down trolling speed? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Walleye Boats and Motors

Old 07-15-2001, 01:13 PM
Rick Fisher

Default Best way to slow down trolling speed?

I have a wonderful Sylvan 17'8" with 90hp Evinrude Ficht. Love the combo. Need to slow down my trolling speed. I drag a windsock, but think there should be a better way. Trying to avoid the kicker motor if I can. Anyone use the trolling plates I see advertised in Cabela's? I have prior experience with the spring loaded models that pop up when you go fast. This is not acceptable as you lose too much control at slow speed. Reverse gear is dangerous in a close quarters situation. I see a model that has a string attached, actually a steel cable, to raise the plate, therby taking it out of the action. Seems like a good idea. Any comments? I'll do the kicker if I must, but would like to avoid the $.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2001, 02:47 PM
war-n-peace

Default RE: Best way to slow down trolling speed?

I believe the one you are refering to is the Happy Troller,
It's an aluminum plate with a cable activated release, to lower the plate you stop your boat and pull the cable to lower the plate, it WILL LOCK in the down position so if you happen to throttle up without raising it you WILL BEND IT.

To raise it, leave your boat at trolling speed and pull the cable to release the latch, throttle up and it will lock in the up position, some say it also helps their boat get on plane faster in the up position working as a fin.

I've read where some boaters have cut a 3 inch hole in the center of the plate dead center of the prop to increase boat control at low speed, I used one on a 16' bayliner, cut my troll to a crawl but I didn't try the center hole, I am thinking of going this route on my 22' SportCraft to avoid the kicker myself.

Bill W.
Old 07-15-2001, 03:47 PM
Keeper

I have a Lund Pro-V 1660 with a 65 Suzuki. I use a "Happy Troller" and cut a roughly 4 inch square notch out of the bottom to allow the exhaust to escape.

This seems to allow better slow speed steering, compared to friends that haven't cut such a notch.

I also cut a notch for the pin to stop at, halfway between the "full up" and "full down" notches, because I found that there are some crankbaits and worm harness spinners that don't run properly at the two standard positions.

On my boat and motor setup, the speed indicator shows me running at about 1.8 - 2.0 mph with the plate up and about 0.5 - 0.7 mph with the plate full down. The new middle notch allows me to troll at about 1.0 - 1.2 mph quite happily.

Incidentally, I put in an eye bolt on the bottom edge of the plate. Using about a 4 foot pole with a stainless steel bolt sticking out the side near the end allows me to poke the bolt through the eye, and pull on the stick with one hand and the cable with the other. The plate comes up nice and easy.

Hope this helps.

Ed
Old 07-16-2001, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator

Rick,
You mention you drag "A WINDSOCK." I'm guessing here that you are only using ONE and probably out the back. So of course it gets in the way when you are setting lines, bringing in fish, etc. Solution is to get TWO trolling bags - like a driftsock but made of a more heavy duty material. Run one off each side of the boat. From the springline cleats or maybe a little further forward. Make the front line just long enough to allow the bag to fully open in the roughest water you expect to fish in. This will keep them far enough forward to stay out of your prop and also out of the way when setting lines and bringing in fish. Use a taglien off the back end to make it easy to retrieve. You should be able to get a PAIR for less than $100.
Good Luck.
Steve
Old 07-16-2001, 06:25 AM
Wallhanger

The drift bag should work fine, but you need to move it to the bow and keep forward trolling. Yes, forward trolling with the bag tied to the bow will do several things. First, your boat control will improve versus towing the bag. Steering is easier with resistance on the bow and you can move the stern more quickly. Second, the bag will sit under the middle of the boat and will not interfere with your rigging.

Set the bag so that the tail will not extend beyond the middle of your rig. A short line. Place a red flag or handkerchief on your steering wheel or tiller handle to remind you that the bad is out.

The bag will remain ready even if you have to stop the boat to reel in a fish. In windy situations, your bow will always move to point into the wind.

Same concept different angle...my $.02

AquaMan~~~~~~~~~~~~~

. --- "It all begins and ends at the water's edge"

Eric@crowncomputerinc.com
Old 07-16-2001, 06:47 AM
Keeper

Eric, thanks for the info. You call it a bag, as did the prior message. Looks like a different critter than my windsock. How big is it? My windsock is 22" diameter from Cabela's. It has weights on the bottom and floats on the top. Wonder if I hook it to the bow eye of the boat if it would work. I have never heard of a "bag." Could it be two terms for the same thing? It seems to be quite heavy material. There are several sizes available.
Old 07-16-2001, 07:42 AM
Wallhanger

Yes, the concept is the same. The bag or sock is a cone shaped device with an adjustable opening at the tip end to allow more or less water to flow through it. There are several on the market with different materials, contruction, features, prices, etc.

I use the 30" WaveTamer by JNB (www.driftbag.com). It's construction and features are more conducive to my type of fishing. Mine is 2 1/2 years old and has held up through some pretty rough stuff.

AquaMan~~~~~~~~~~~~~

. --- "It all begins and ends at the water's edge"

Eric@crowncomputerinc.com
Old 07-16-2001, 05:41 PM
mc

I agree with aquaman put your drift sock off your bow. It will also help in rough water