Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Best Way to Get Water Out of Gas Tank??? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Walleye Boats and Motors

Old 11-16-2001, 11:37 AM
Keeper

Default Best Way to Get Water Out of Gas Tank???

Well, I tried it - and you know what...you still can't burn water in a 4stroke 9.9 kicker! I had a problem with intermittent running of a Merc 9.9 kicker - sometimes it would run fine, other times it wouldn't want to start, and still other times it would start on an angle and die as it was lowered back to level. I couldn't get it started for day 2 at Huron this past weekend so in it went to the mechanic.

Anyway, the mechanic said easy fix...after he found the problem...drained the carb and there was water. So, my gas tank is part of the boat and I plan to dump some Gas Dry with fresh gas and then run it through the big engine. Maybe do this a few times as the capacity of the aux tank is 8 gal and the 225 takes almost that much just to idle out of the harbor! I've run the small tank empty a few times and run it through the big motor - checked the fuel filter/water sep and not noticed any water before.

Just wondering how others have cleaned out their tanks? Also, any pm that folks do to keep this from happening? (already store it full all winter with Stabil, etc.)

Just curious. Thanks.
Bob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2001, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Default RE: Best Way to Get Water Out of Gas Tank???

Maybe I'm just dense, but I really dont understand your setup. You say your tank is part of your boat, then you say you have an aux tank. Please explain your setup so we can help you out.:)
Its possible you just got a hold of some bad gas if this has never happened before.
Dad shot the little fellow.

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.
Now it goes to school with her,
Between two hunks of bread.
Old 11-16-2001, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Sound like you need a fuel/water separator.

The Kid

"Every time I put my line in the water I said a Hail Mary, and every time I said a Hail Mary I caught a fish": Fredo Corleone
Old 11-16-2001, 05:16 PM
Keeper

Not dense....just not understanding my rambling....not a problem. The boat has 2 fixed tanks - a 51 gal main and an 8 gal aux. The aux can be used for a kicker or for emergency use - common to many boat makes and models.

If it was a portable tank, the solution is easy - turn it upside down! Maybe it was bad gas? Don't know.

Bob
Old 11-16-2001, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

I see. One thing you might try is, can you get to the sending unit? If so, you can remove it and get to the fuel with a siphon. How long have you had the boat? Ever have this problem before?
Dad shot the little fellow.

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.
Now it goes to school with her,
Between two hunks of bread.
Old 11-16-2001, 07:48 PM
don

take off your main fuel line at the motor put it in a clear jar then pump your ball (not actualy your ball the boats ball Ha Ha). Water will settle to bottom of tank and that is where your pickup is so you will pump out the water first. The fuel will be milky once keep pumping until the fuel looks clean, that is the reason to use a clear jar.
Old 11-18-2001, 06:57 AM
vetspet(ind)

several yrs ago i had a major water/fuel problem...put in the water separator filter....the best additive is sea foam i think per past postings.....never used it...my problem was the air vents were letting water in...changed vents and fixed problem...these were the original air vents that came on my sylvan...steve
Old 11-18-2001, 08:00 PM
Wallhanger

Bob: My machanic told me to pour about a half a gallon of Isopropal Alcohol into my 20 gallon tank and run the boat until the tank was empty. This was about eight years or so ago, but it worked. It smoked a little more as it burned the moisture out of the tank. He said that was what the dealer suggested when a swamped boat came in for service. I had a Sylvan Supersport at the time and the tank vent picked up the water comming off the tire on a rainy trip up north. After that I put tape over the vent when I was traveling in the rain. This is the same principle as putting HEET in the tank of your car to get rid of the moisture and keeping the gas line from freezing in the winter. Good luck to pure GAS.....Kaz
Old 11-18-2001, 10:36 PM
Calif Bill

Get an electric fuel pump and a 50 gallon drum. The drum places sell them for about $5 used. Run the gas into the barrel and let it settle. Then pump most of the gas back into the boat. Get a Racor or Sierra Fuel / water separator. About $35-40 and holds a good screw on filter.
Bill

Old 11-19-2001, 06:54 AM
vetspet(ind)

don't know if what i will say is correct, but my marina guy told me to not put alcohol in my gas as alcohol will attract water...so kaz may be right but i did get a negative when i asked our local guy who owns a marina/repair shop...not trying to contradict kaz as he may be correct...sea foam is supposed to be the stuff...steve