Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
my steering wheel is hard to turn, what do I do? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Walleye Boats and Motors

Old 05-09-2002, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Default my steering wheel is hard to turn, what do I do?

I have a brand new boat with a 150 horse outboard. It has no-feedback steering. I did have the option to go with power steering, but from what I read here, I didn't think I would need it. Well, I was wrong. When I am cruising across the lake and want to turn, I nearly have to give it all I've got. The worst thing about it is, I can't let my wife or my boys drive, the steering is way to hard for them. Now, I figured that my steering was just tight, but when I am idling across the lake or the boat is just sitting on the trailer, the steering is great. It is only when I am going fast that I have any trouble. I need to keep 2 hands on the wheel when I am going fast, the problem here is when I want to throttle up quickly. I cannot go into a turn and throttle up at the same time. ANYWAY, I want power steering! What do I need to accomplish this? I know it is going to cost a lot, but I feel it would be worth it. Any advice or brand of equipment would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, wiggle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2002, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Default RE: my steering wheel is hard to turn, what do I do?

It it hard to turn one way, or both ways? If it's just one way, you may have a torque issue.

Eyez
Old 05-09-2002, 09:35 AM
Keeper

For this discussion we will assume that you have your engine mounted in the correct hole and that you have the right size prop, meaning at WOT you approach the max operating RPM's. It is impossible to adjust this without realizing that you aren't going to have easy steering at every point in the RPM range at any one trim position of the engine. It should be easier than what you have but it will be tighter at higher RPM readings due to increased torque. Bring your engine to the RPM setting that you cruise at the vast majority of the time. Let's say 4000 for example. If you have a trim tab on the lower unit (You may not have one), trim the engine until it is as easy to turn in BOTH directions as possible. If it turns easier to the starboard, loosen the trim tab and turn the TRAILING edge of the trim tab to the STARBOARD side one notch at a time until turning requires the same effort in both directions. If you do not have a trim tab, you must then use your power trim to adjust the attitude of the engine at each RPM setting until it is easy in both directions. This will constantly change throughout the RPM range.
Old 05-09-2002, 09:47 AM
Keeper

As a post script regarding your inquiries about power steering. You must be referring to hydraulic steering. It does work great but the after market cost to HAVE it installed is going to be around $1200.00. You can buy the Teleflex Seastar kit for about $750 and do it yourself if you're mechanically inclined. However you must remember that even with hydraulic steering, your steering will still be dependant on your trim position. It will be easier at one position than at another. You must learn to use the trim switch to your advantage.
Old 05-09-2002, 02:14 PM
Minnow

Sound like you need to trim your motor up...Mine is that way also until I trim the motor up. When it is properly trimmed its a 2 finger turning option.

Old 05-10-2002, 03:25 AM
Charter Member

It is hard to turn both ways. wiggle
Old 05-10-2002, 03:30 AM
Charter Member

I am turning a Laser II 3 blade SS, 23" prop. My motor is mounted second hole from bottom(don't want to go any higher and don't need to go any lower). At WOT, I am turning approx. 5300rpms. I have adjusted my trim tab, and it doesn't seem to make any difference at all. wiggle
Old 05-10-2002, 03:33 AM
Charter Member

No matter where my motor is trimmed at, it certainly is not a 2 finger operation. Not even close. It is harder to steer when the motor is trimmed all the way down. When I have the motor trimmed all the way up, it is also hard to turn. It seems the only time the steering is just fine is at idle speed??????? wiggle
Old 05-10-2002, 07:09 AM
jayb

Just bought a 2002 Lund 1800 Fisherman, 115 Yamaha 4-stroke and a T8 kicker. Just called my dealer and then Lund about this so called no-feedback steering. It is so tight my wife can not steer it and I have a lot of difficulty at very low speed and especially trying to get back on the trailer.

My dealer said something about the adjustment on the steering wheel being to tight and to back it off some. The adjustment is supposed to be at the back of the steering wheel (I haven't checked yet.) If this doesn't work he said to look for too much play in the cables at the
back when you turn the wheel. Next, he said to look at the nut (?) that is on the steering rod that goes through the motor. He said installers have a tendency to really crank down on these nuts but they aren't supposed to be that tight. I will try all of this shortly
but if it doesn't work, I think that whoever thought up this no-feedback steering thing ought to contribute for installment of the hydraulic steering. Now all of this is what I was told yesterday when I called. Hope it works out, otherwise I am going to be extremely disappointed in my first new boat in 26 years...
Old 05-10-2002, 08:04 AM
Keeper

I think people are missing the main point here. This fellow has said a couple times now that the engine turns easily at idle or when just going slow therefore there is one thing and one thing only that can be causing this. It's prop torque. Go back to the dealer and see if maybe a different prop will cure it or perhaps check the set-up again. If the steering cables were too tight they would be too tight at idle or on the trailer as well.