Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Difference between Yamaha VMAX and "regular" HPDI . . . - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Walleye Boats and Motors

Old 07-31-2002, 12:17 PM
Cougar Guy

Default Difference between Yamaha VMAX and "regular" HPDI . . .

Does anyone know the main differences between these models in the 150hp platform? I've checked their website and they seem very similar.

Does one have performance advantages over the other? It looks like the VMAX even uses the same injection system so what gives? Or is it just the better looking cowl on the VMAX :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2002, 12:41 PM
Minnow

Default RE: Difference between Yamaha VMAX and "regular" HPDI . . .

I believe the only difference is in the reeds and the compression of the engine. And I think the ratio is different also.
Old 07-31-2002, 05:15 PM
Wave Runner

Jason is largely correct. The V-Max is geared at 2.0 versus 1.8 for a little more low end. I own a 2002 150 V-Max HPDI on a 1775 Pro-V SE and let me tell you that V-Max is one sweet machine. Once you get it propped right, they are a lot of fun...
Old 07-31-2002, 07:12 PM
Cougar Guy

Thanks for the info guys. I'm just trying ti find out as much as I can about the different setups before I buy next year. I've pretty much decided on Yamaha outboards though . . .

Hey Wave Runner, what prop are you running and what are you getting for top end?
Old 08-01-2002, 05:02 AM
Wave Runner

I have a 14 x 19 3-blade stainless that turns about 5400 rpm's and I currently get right about 50 mph per my gps. I'm mounted one hole up from the bottom. I could probably do a little better but I carry a lot of gear and usually fill the gas tank... Good luck...
Old 08-01-2002, 02:19 PM
Slot Fish

Default RE: Difference between Yamaha VMAX and

There are some differences. But the biggest factor you need to concern yourself with...is the fact that the Vmax HPDI's only come in 20" shafts...while the "regular" HPDI 150's come with either 20" or 25" shafts.

If you have a 25" transom, you only have one choice. Or if you were looking at the 175 or 200, you only have one choice (as those higher hp "regular" HPDI's only come in 25" and the V's only come in 20").

If you have a 20" transom...I'd get the Vmax...simply because it looks so freakin' cool.