Should Registered Users Have Privilege?

sevenmmm
01-29-2004, 01:26 PM
The question is: Do you think that only registered users should have the ability to post?

Hurry and vote - the numbers may sway some to your side!

Rippin_Eyes
01-29-2004, 01:39 PM
It isn't like it costs anything to register!! So my vote would be yes!

hawg
01-29-2004, 01:48 PM
I think it would be the end of walleye central and other sites. Over the years i have chatted with 100's of great people here and about a dozen nuts. Since i'm not one to hide what i think i fear one of these nuts calling me at home or on my e-mail. There have been some pretty heated discussions. I'll be the first to stand up to anyone in person but phones and such can make your life miserable. My next guy to offend is a certain"pro" who thinks he has to write a 4 paragraph answer to every post that comes on. Bold type with his picture no less. Seems every year there is a person going for the most posts award. All most like those few people who have open forum in the paper once a week.

who cares
01-29-2004, 02:42 PM
Hawg

Your right! Who cares if your reg. or not. Some people like to argue with everyone and never seem to see the other side of things. Some guys know it all and when they are called out the post like little kids so what everyone see's how dumb they really are. So let it go, read what you want and leave the rest to the others.

Get Real
01-29-2004, 02:58 PM
This has been decided ages ago and the thread actually is yet another troll by sevenmmm.

All that matters is that the admins have an IP to block if they choose to. As for registration, that doesn't matter anyway. You could register as anyone you choose and use an annonymous email at hotmail or yahoo. The bottom line is that the admins need an IP to block if they want to keep someone out. So, annonymous or registered will make no difference. Also, there are a number of registered posters who post annonymously when they choose to flame people and play Joe Innocent when they post under their registered names. The admins know this and they themselves have done so.

So, again this is a waste of a thread but is sure to kick up the duct on this issue again. Nice job stirring the pot Rick!

Hollis
01-29-2004, 03:03 PM
When did WC begin? I think I "coulda been" a charter member. I did have a sign in name but haven't used it in years. I'm not sure of my password anymore and I do remember that at times it wouldn't accept it when I tried. Couldn't really see the point of it anyway. Between home and work I could log on 8 different computers if I wanted to stuff this ballot, BTW are only registered users allow to vote on this? How does that work for an accurate poll? When I try it says it says I already have voted and won't accept it. I have no firewalls on this computer,..anyone else having this problem? As far as changes, ever see a board work as WELL as this one before,.(esp now most of the politicians have run away).I haven't.

Terroreyes
01-29-2004, 03:12 PM
Is this because of our new young charter friend? :)
[br][div align="center"][br][center][br][font color="#3300CC";font face="Roman"; size="+1"][br][br]Terror-[font color="red"; size="+3"; font face="webdings"] NN

hgmeyer
01-29-2004, 04:12 PM
I also think that registered users should be the only ones allowed to know, when, where, and how to catch the biggest and best fish...only fair!

sevenmmm
01-29-2004, 05:41 PM
Yep, you have me pegged get real, I really do like to troll (like to jig too). I'm so embarrassed I'll never log into WC ever again! :-)

NOT!

sevenmmm
01-29-2004, 06:30 PM
Yep. :-)

bigfish1965
01-29-2004, 06:45 PM
Get Real;
You cannot ban someone by their IP address. Anyone with 50 cents worth of cumputer training already knows how to get by that. On boards requiring registration, the manners are quite better. But I will say that the mods here do a great job ( so ends the sucking-up portion of my post.)
By and large the WC crowd is very polite!

Scotty Thompson
01-29-2004, 06:50 PM
Yup..another troll by sevenmmm. Once again picking a topic that has already been beat to death. Do you study the archives Rick? What's the point of starting these debates. Are you that bored? I know that you are posting of your own volition, but can't you please give it a rest and post something worthwhile?

sevenmmm
01-29-2004, 07:06 PM
Ok, give me some ideas! :-)

Get Real
01-30-2004, 02:45 AM
Start with something concerning fishing rather than website administration!

Get Real
01-30-2004, 02:55 AM
Just for a minute, think about the whole issue.

How does anyone know who YOU really are Rick. I mean, your real name could be Tom or Fritz or Bob or whoever. Nobody would know anyway unless the contact you by phone, letter or in person. You can register as anyone.

Based on that, I suppose next you will want everyone to showup in person and provide a Drivers License or State ID just so they can post an opinion or idea on this website. Where does it end Rick?

The truth of the matter is that guys like you simply want to target people and harrass them when you dissagree with them. And when they post annonymously, you really do not know who it is or if it is someone that you have targeted before or not. You like seeing registered people because then you know who you are targeting. The only other issue would be trust. And really, I doubt many people trust others totally on this board simply because most have never actually met. And those that have, have only been brief. Of course there are exceptions to that as some are big time buddies, but that is the exception.

So, the purpose is what? Harrassment!

Bigfish 1965, there are ways around registration as well. You can ban by IP address as this site has done it many times in the past. There are some problems with it and yes, there are ways around it, but there are more ways around registration.

Get Real
01-30-2004, 02:59 AM
>
>Yep, you have me pegged get real, I really do like to troll
>(like to jig too). I'm so embarrassed I'll never log into WC
>ever again! :-)

The crowd roars! For a minute there I thought Brett Farve was intercepted again!

ST
01-30-2004, 05:58 AM
Good one Get Real. Laughing my a** off over here.

love them eyes guy
01-30-2004, 06:24 AM
I voted NO.

Some people have good questions and they are noy reg. some have good answers. I will take the good with the bad and read on. I think it is still up to me what I want to get out of a post.

bob oh1
01-30-2004, 06:33 AM
I gotta agree bigfish the heavily moderated sites are usually very well mannered, boring and usually only used by a few people who like to read what they write. :-)

JLDII
01-30-2004, 08:39 AM
It seems to me that most of the time, the people, or should I say "posts" that are put up for the sole purpose of creating discord are done by people who don't want anyone else to know who they are. These people when confronted about it, if they answer, will usually say it is "MY RIGHT" to say anything I want. It is a "FREE COUNTRY" and if you don't like it leave, or don't come on to this board. It is a sad depiction of what is eating away the foundation of this great country. Too many people think it is fine to be insultive, arogant, obnoxious, and soforth, and abuse all levels of desentcey in how they treat others, and then wrap the protections of the constitution around themselves as if the American flag is a blanket on a cold day. These individuals that want to do nothing more than "stir the pot" need to be reminded that freedom of speech is part of our system, as is slander, and liable, which come from exercising your "freedom" in the wrong way. In my own minds eye, I see these people who hide in anynimity and wrap the flag around themselves as a blanket as being very much like a 9/11 terrorist who trys to destroy everything our country stands for, and when caught, wrap the flag and everything it stands for around themselves and screams at the top of his lungs "I HAVE RIGHTS", "YOU CAN"T STOP ME"!

Schnauzer
01-30-2004, 08:47 AM
This topic comes up at least once or twice per year. I started a topic on this myself back in late '01 or early '02. Since then, I have come to realize the non-register nature of this site will continue. So, began a thread on this subject for the last time a couple years ago. There has been at least a half dozen polls posted on this subject through the years. I am a bit surpirsed this time. Usually the numbers run about 65/35 in favor of not requiring registration. This poll shows a switch.

If the topic comes up, I always argue in favor of registration. You don't have to betray your actual identity if you register. So, all the concern over a potential visit or call to your home is a NON ISSUE. If you want to register as "Reptile Man" and select not to include your actual name, e-mail address, city, or anything else for that matter - it is your choice.

Yes, someone could register a billion times and flame legitimate posters. That possibility isn't in doubt. However, requiring registration would greatly reduce guest user style flaming that happens here. I said "greatly reduce", not "eliminate." To me, greatly reducing the pointless hijinks and baiting is worth it.

Requiring registration isn't the end of the American Way, it works elsewhere, and we could still carry on spirited debates. If "Reptile Man" disagrees or agrees with every thing I say isn't the point. If I see 20 posts from this person, I at least get a feel for who he is. I don't have to know if he is black, white, lives next door to me, male, female, etc. It just adds to the sense of community. With guest user capability, the level of riff raff just goes way up.

Although I'd like the site better if registration would be required, I continue to visit under its current form. I will always do so. I enjoy the site.

eyekiller
01-30-2004, 08:48 AM
WOW, got a little carried away with all of this, huh? All posts should be accepted, that what makes this worth reading. If you only hear from the same few posters on every issue, probably won't learn much!

eyekiller
01-30-2004, 08:52 AM
If you gotta ask, you more than likely won't catch them anyway!

Devon
01-30-2004, 08:58 AM
If your require registration the number of casual participants will decrease significantly. With lower numbers the less likely advertisers will want pay to advertise. it's a numbers game. The more the better.

Devon 2
01-30-2004, 09:02 AM
If your require registration the number of casual participants will decrease significantly. With lower numbers the less likely advertisers will want pay to advertise. it's a numbers game. The more the better.

sib
01-30-2004, 09:03 AM
I chose no. I think some people are a bit leary to register, because they may think a ton of spam that comes with registering. It isn't the case with this place, but other registered forums on the web have been know to distribute spam.

I think if this place becomes a registered forum only the board will see much less traffic. I've been to plenty of boards and this place has few problems with trolls, compared to most I've visited. Besides, troll or not, in the end we still have a choice to not respond and not read what someone else has said.

It doesn't mean that parts of the site shouldn't be registered only forumn only. The Swap Board is a good example, admins need a way to track down who is selling what and to make sure people are following through with their agreements. It would only take a few slackers to kill the entire swap board concept, having it registered only gives admins a way to track down any offenders and has a way of keeping people to their word.

One last thing to consider is to remember what we all paid in for our membership fees. We didn't pay a dime to be members here, yet there is considerable expense in keeping a place like this up. I always figured that our membership 'fees' were subsidized by the advertising. I wonder how attractive this place would be to advertisers if this place wasn't a public forumn? I also wonder what will happen to revenue if the number of hits the site gets starts to shrink? Seems logical that membership should have to make up the diffence, imo.

Terroreyes
01-30-2004, 09:19 AM
At first I voted yes, but after thinking about it, I'd have to change that to no. For being a site that doesn't require registration, this place is pretty clean. Granted, there are a FEW anonymous posters throwing some rude comments in now and then, nut it's nothing compared to other non-registration sites. I go to some sites that are real informative, but it's littered daily with mother this and that posts, people calling others homo's, you name it. Even our bad apples here aren't that bad. Just more annoying than anything. They feed off of threads like this. I'll bet dollars to dounuts that it's just one or two people posting under many different handles lately. Walleye Central isn't quite as clean as full registration sites, but it's sure alot more fun and informative. Sometimes, those bad apples getting squashed makes my day. :)

[br][div align="center"][br][center][br][font color="#3300CC";font face="Roman"; size="+1"][br][br]Terroryes

Husky
01-30-2004, 09:39 AM
I would vote for hearing anyone post. You take the few bad apples with the majority of good posts. Many times I do not log in as I really don't like to have to sit through a couple of screen changes before actually reading or commenting.

This is an old, tired subject. ---It is certainly noticeable that we are in the middle of winter :)

Sunshine
01-30-2004, 09:40 AM
Shut up and Fish.....

If it ain't broken don't fix it......

If you don't like what you read, stop reading it.....

Am I forgetting any????

Trophy
01-30-2004, 09:54 AM
Sunshine, you pretty much hit it square.

Trophy

sevenmmm
01-30-2004, 10:01 AM
That's a good post Schnauzer.

What the flamers are missing about the whole debate is: by a continuing effort to attack the individual behind ideas they dislike, they have inadvertantly put enough people at odds against their style to warrant these poll numbers.

And to the few who enjoy poster's such as I getting slammed. Just wait, your turn is coming. :-)

walleye fishing
01-30-2004, 10:26 AM
My pet peave is about the registered users who always log on and respond or make a post, but never talk about walleye fishing or anything related to walleye, but will talk about everything else. Isn't there other site's you can go to for that?

sevenmmm
01-30-2004, 10:44 AM
Yep, on the top of the page there is a link to it. Its titled "Strictly Fishing".

Right there next to General Discussion.

Hollis
01-30-2004, 10:49 AM
One more point, do you know there is software that you can use to route your posts thru a hub and get a different IP address every time you logon? Its very cheap and the FBI hates it but kids are using it a lot now so that the music industry can't track them down when they illegally down load music,..so again,..whats the point? If someone wants to be anonymous they always can. I also get a bit irritated at some posts but I think its got much better here when politics and religion subjects have been discouraged.

Mike Sherman LOL
01-30-2004, 10:56 AM
"sole purpose of creating discord " and "stir the pot"...

Is that like when a thread discussing football was interupted by YOU telling everyone when and where to post about football?

Now there is the pot calling the kettle "black"! What a hypocrit!

"need to be reminded that freedom of speech is part of our system, as is slander, and liable, which come from exercising your "freedom" in the wrong way."

You make it sound as if every post from an annonymous person is slanderous or libel... quite the opposit.

And... are YOU the "freedom in the right way" POLICE NOW? LOL!

Privacy is a right that all citizens enjoy. Privacy on the internet is just as important. You see, while some people are willing to entertain kooks in their email, mail, at the front door and etc... when they post something unpopular, many do not. Posting something "unpopular" does not make it wrong, slanderous or libel.

Too often people on this website are dissagreed with and the registered users want to brow beat them for having an opinion. Agree OR ELSE! And since when did being a registered user make you right, non-slanderous/libelous? Those are qualities that have been displayed by both registered and non-registered users over the course of time.

GET REAL!!!

walleye fishing
01-30-2004, 11:01 AM
sevenmmm, yes your right, but they never talk about walleye fishing, yes I know there is a general dicussion page, but every once in a while they should a least talk about walleye subjects. I found this site because I wanted to talk about walleye related stuff(lures, boats, waters and so on) not to come here and do what I'm doing now. Oh no, I need to go fishing or at least sign on next time.

Get Real
01-30-2004, 11:07 AM
Here is a good idea. Why not start a "stictly registered" area so all of you guys can enjoy your brand of messaging? Then the rest of us can enjoy the general content and you guys can go agree with each other all day long in the "strictly registered" area. Also should moderate it as well so that only certain opinions are allowed. Maybe restrict the time of day posting occurs so that the moderators can be present and of course the content should be "fishing only" inside that forum so as not to go off track.

Have at it boys!

I think you would find that the general discussion area would still be the most active area and that registered users would still be here posting (and complaining about annonymous posters) and posting themselves annonymously as they would not want to risk showing themselves after getting the way and having a registered only area and then come back to the general area.

Hey Scott, why not make a "registered only" area or at least put this thread to bed??

Get Real
01-30-2004, 11:11 AM
Now how would you know that they NEVER talk about Walleye fishing if they always post annonymously?

Kind of a contradictory statement isn't it?

walleye fishing
01-30-2004, 11:12 AM
Yes, a registered only area. I like that, great idea.

JLDII
01-30-2004, 11:27 AM
Why don't you at least tell the trueth! On that thread my problem was, just as it is here, unregistered users, the subject at the time was football. All I asked is why you would use your real name. Wrap yourself in the "rights" all you want. The more you do, the more you prove my point.

Again I'll ask, are you afraid to let people know who you are. Maybe you have a job or even some sponsorship you would lose if people knew who you were, talking the way you do to people?

te me
01-30-2004, 11:28 AM
Or a forum that when a registered user hits X amount of posts he can access that forum.

JLDII
01-30-2004, 11:30 AM
Good idea, you can call it Walleye Central.:)

Mike Sherman lol
01-30-2004, 11:40 AM
"If someone wants to know who I am, all they have to do is click on my profile, and go to my web page. There you will find my name, address, and phone number. As for my web name, JLDII, those are my initials. Nothing very anonymous about that is there?

My issue is that now all of the sudden , this board is full of Sherman's, Tice's, Reggie Whites, Allan Pages, and lord knows who else that are not registered here and all they want to do is talk about something that is behind us (history for this season) and make their opinions known behind the cloak of secrecy, and turn it into a verbal sparing match. Are they affraid of reprisals from their neighbors? The verbal sparing is fun during the season, when we are tied tightly to the game every Sunday, but our seasons are done and as Gordy said, we don't play again for 7 months. Before you know it, it gets out of hand, and nothing can be done to stop it, and all because of anonymous users.

If you are a registered user, you should be able to say anything you want within the rules of decentcy, but the practice of unregistered users posting anything they want to talk about needs a control over it. I personally think this board should be restricted to registered users only. If you want to come on and speak your mind, register.

And by the way, I noticed you are not a registered user. Maybe you would be so nice as to introduce yourself!"

As you have said... YOUR PROBLEM!

Get Real
01-30-2004, 11:46 AM
JLDII doesn't care about registration, he wants to restrict opinions to those who agree with him. He had the same problem during all the political posting going on and was put in his place along with others, by Democrat for the same thing.

Walleye Central "Registered Users" Forum. For the upper crust of Walleye Society.

LOL!

Get Real
01-30-2004, 11:46 AM
JLDII doesn't care about registration, he wants to restrict opinions to those who agree with him. He had the same problem during all the political posting going on and was put in his place along with others, by Democrat for the same thing.

Walleye Central "Registered Users" Forum. For the upper crust of Walleye Society.

LOL!

JLDII
01-30-2004, 11:58 AM
I never got into the political debate so much. I hate all politicians.

The outlawing of political posts came during the summer while I was gone from the site. If you look back, you will only find where I came to this site about 4-6 times between mid May and Oct.1st. I don't have access to a computer at my cabin up north, and don't get home very often to use the one I have during that time of year.

But good try!;)

sevenmmm
01-30-2004, 12:39 PM
The political posts were outlawed when the conservatives outnumbered the liberals. hehehe

What is really fascinating is the poll numbers. It gives teeth to this discussion.

If I were the owner, would consider how much damage the flamers do to the site, because these attackers not only flame individuals, but also the producers and sellers of fishing equipment who may want to use this site as a means to advertise.

So I ask: Why would they advertise on a site which protects the rights of those throwing around flaming attacks?

Besides all this, most of these unwashed are not the kind of buyers you want on this site anyway. They always complain and want brand-new products offered to them for less than used prices.

Their hits are as good as NO hits.

Sunshine
01-30-2004, 12:46 PM
Man oh Man,

You can just feel the love coming off this thread.....

Can't we all just get along?

I have a dream ladies and gentlemen, when one day all guests and registered users will walk hand in hand as brothers..... I have a dream.......

bob oh1
01-30-2004, 01:07 PM
That's why you are not the owner! He would like to have a successful site, you would like to have a site for yourself :-)
Have a good day,

sevenmmm
01-30-2004, 01:41 PM
>That's why you are not the owner! He would like to have a
>successful site, you would like to have a site for yourself
>:-)
>Have a good day,
>

You got me there!

Rippin_Eyes
01-30-2004, 01:42 PM
I had a dream but it involed a Bikini girl, 30 point buck, and a 32 pound walleye!! I guess both our dreams are far fetched!!! HAHA!!! I hope you all have a wonderful weekend of fishing!!!!!
GET "R" DONE!!!!!!

Schnauzer
01-30-2004, 02:21 PM
What is the "bone yard" and why was this thread moved here?

ebijack
01-31-2004, 03:55 PM
wake up sunshine your dreaming :)

Marble Eyes
02-03-2004, 01:05 PM
Shut up and Fish.....

If it ain't broken don't fix it......

If you don't like what you read, stop reading it.....

Am I forgetting any????

Dennis Skurulsky
Fishing Guide
Ice is for mixed drinks

---------------------------

Yeah one.

Would you like some cheese with that whine! :)

Schnauzer
02-04-2004, 10:00 AM
test...

bigfish1965
02-04-2004, 04:11 PM
test