I've been patterned

bladerunner
11-04-2007, 06:49 PM
Setup the blind & baitpile 2mos before the opener.

The blind sits 18yds downwind from my baitpile which is beneath an apple tree next to the pond where the deer drink. They start out 2-3hrs before sun-up around an open rye-field across the road. Just before sun up, they'll move over the road closer to me to drink & continue to munch.

Problem is they've become increasingly wary of the area around the blind & the noises/activities/scents coming from it. They usually come in behind me an hr before dawn from the heavy thicket & hawthorne trees, pass-by w/in 5yds of my ground blind (Can't even breath for fear they'll smell my breath) & goto the bait & pond. All the while keeping a close eye & ear on the blind. Does come by first while the buck stands in the thick & stares into the blind.

Biggest problem is a dominant 10pt has taken claim & bulled the 6 & 8pt away at the start of the rut, I haven't seen them near the pile since . I've seen HIM moving around latenite. So I figured I get to the pile before he does & hope he sticks around for shooting hrs. Only thing.. he's on to me.

Moving the blind this late in the season would spook them for sure.

What next???

Juls
11-05-2007, 08:03 AM
>Problem is they've become increasingly wary of the area around
>the blind & the noises/activities/scents coming from it.

Sit STILL and quit farting for goodness sakes! :arse:

Just kidding...:)

Juls

crawdad
11-05-2007, 10:28 AM
You have been patterned because of the bait pile. With a bait pile there the deer can eat at any time including after dark or befor first light. You already know how the deer are moving, position your stand away from the baitpile in order to get a shot during daylight hours and I believe you will have better luck at that big guy.

bladerunner
11-05-2007, 03:47 PM
Juls,

I didn't mention what activity/sounds/scents I was doing at the time.LOL but the summer sausage & tooo many beers the nite before went down well.

Crawdad,

You don't think moving the blind will spook an already sensitive bunch??

I've kept the pile well stocked over the mos. Ample food might keep em coming in. I just don't want to lose them if they go back to alternating their latenite schedule (between 10pm & 3am).

I could move it to the left from its current position approx 35yds max (still downwind). I like where it sits though because of the proximty to the thicket & if I over-shot I wouldn't lose the arrow in the pond; the only place to move the blind increases the risk. Thanks

crawdad
11-06-2007, 08:23 AM
I wouldnt suggest you move your current blind. Personally what I would do is take a climbing tree stand(if trees are available for that) or put up a hang on stand. Thus not changing the area and what the deer are use to seeing. As far as loosing an arrow I practice enough not to worry about making a bad shot or losing an arrow. Not to say that it will never happen because of course it will, but when it comes to shooting a nice buck my last concern is losing an arrow. You already know the process of the deers movements, all you need to do is set up a stand that will give you a shot and the deer will not expect you to be there. Good Luck.

orchard frank
11-06-2007, 08:44 AM
We have some permanent blinds on the property, overlooking the orchard or fields, and along the riverbank. I don't bow hunt, but the same thing you describe can happen during late gun season. I have had some luck constructing some simple ground blinds using branches etc. in areas that hve not been disturbed. Not sure how that would work for bow hunting.

tzone
11-06-2007, 09:12 AM
They patterned you because you have bait out. Trips to the site to re-bait and hunting from the same spot cause them to be aware of you. You are right you have been patterned. Move your blind 2-300 yds away from the bait where the deer are coming from. You will be supprised at what you find and see. A pretty common hunting tactic in northern WI on the public land we hunt is to find the baiters by the 2nd or 3rd day. They won't move from that spot, "it's theirs ya know" and find the trails and tracks leading to the bait. Set up 3-500 yds away and you WILL see more deer than they will.

bladerunner
11-06-2007, 08:09 PM
I hunt private land, no others on the property.

I've decided to build a lean to using the tall reeds & deadfall near the swamp & pond. Trees aren't available to setup a stand. Thanks

tzone
11-07-2007, 07:22 AM
Sometimes you don't have to move far, you just need to move. If the deer still know you are there you may have to scout a different area.