organization of classifieds

AvgJoe
04-05-2009, 09:52 AM
I just joined, so maybe I just haven't figured it out yet, but...

the classifieds seem to be almost all boats - maybe that is because the rest of the categories are very unclear therefore ineffective for buyers and sellers. If you are not looking for a boat, you have to sort thru all the boats ads. if you apply the filter, then you only get a few ads. The filter classifications are not intuitive to me. "electronics" "tackle" (see LL categories) make more sense to me.

Just a suggestion because I went to the classifieds and will probably never go back - unless I am misunderstanding something.

Juls
04-05-2009, 09:58 AM
There are "catagories" in the filter function. "Misc.", "accessories", "trucks", "motors", etc....

We sell more boats here than anything else, and that's why you only see a few ads when you use the filter with the "catagory" section.

Juls

AvgJoe
04-05-2009, 10:18 AM
The site sells mostly boats because of how the classifieds are organized. The site may only want to sell boats; that is a business decision. If you want to sell ads for other smaller ticket items (tackle, ice fishing, even the categories you have like services, electronics etc.) it would take some reorganization.

Not trying to be critical, just an newbies perspective. I am not sure I will ever go back to the classifieds, but I go tothe classifieds ads of my two favorite fishing sites a couple of times/week looking for impulse buys - one does not impulse buy a boat - if you aren't in the market - you won't be looking a WC classifieds.

I have similar questions about the fishing reports. The organization does not seem intuitive to me. I think there is something I am not getting about choosing favorites or something. But I can't even find reports for the wolf river... searched "wolf" and couldn't find it...

Again, not trying to be critical, just kind of confused because I have spent 30 minutes trying to understand the functions of a fishing site that are most important to me and I can't. I only have a Ph.D., so I might not be smart enough... :grin:

Juls
04-05-2009, 10:39 AM
The site sells mostly boats because of how the classifieds are organized. The site may only want to sell boats; that is a business decision. If you want to sell ads for other smaller ticket items (tackle, ice fishing, even the categories you have like services, electronics etc.) it would take some reorganization.

Not trying to be critical, just an newbies perspective. I am not sure I will ever go back to the classifieds, but I go tothe classifieds ads of my two favorite fishing sites a couple of times/week looking for impulse buys - one does not impulse buy a boat - if you aren't in the market - you won't be looking a WC classifieds.

I have similar questions about the fishing reports. The organization does not seem intuitive to me. I think there is something I am not getting about choosing favorites or something. But I can't even find reports for the wolf river... searched "wolf" and couldn't find it...

Again, not trying to be critical, just kind of confused because I have spent 30 minutes trying to understand the functions of a fishing site that are most important to me and I can't. I only have a Ph.D., so I might not be smart enough... :grin:

Maybe this is the part of the site you are looking for:
https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

The Swap board is free to use but has a cap of $250.00 on it. Anything higher and it needs to go to the Classified section where it costs to list an ad, and is probably a big reason the smaller items don't get listed there.

Hope this helps.

Juls
p.s. As far as the fishing reports go...if the anglers who fish the Wolf River do not post here, there won't be anything to find. Having said that though....I know this new to us search function needs as many words as possible to get best results. Just putting in the word Wolf won't get you anything. For example, putting in "Wolf River Fishing Reports" will get you a few threads. Not many, but some.

BW
04-21-2009, 05:08 AM
I love the classified section on this website! I have sold two boats on there in a matter of days! I have a new boat myself, but find myself looking on there just for fun, window shopping, etc! That is until warm weather finally gets here. Maybe look around and play with the site a bit to get comfortable with it?? A lot of great people on here with tons of information. I learned a lot from these guys and gals before ordering my boat!!!

p.s. maybe having a PhD makes you a little too organized for us simple folk:-)