Student Wolf Survey

LonnieS
02-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Hi my name is Ty and my dad said I could post under his user name. Anyway I am a student at Legacy High School in Broomfield, Colorado and I have been doing research on the wolf reintroduction program at Yellowstone National Park. Part of my assignment is to conduct a survey, so I am looking for some responses. You can respond to this post or send me an email at Tyron_Snyder@yahoo.com. I need the responses by Monday evening.

1. Have you heard of the wolf reintroduction program at Yellowstone National Park?

2. Do you think this has caused any problems? If so what problems?

3. Do you have any suggestions for solving these issues?

Thanks for your help!

Ty

dead wolf
02-14-2011, 01:02 PM
1.yes
2.yes, killed all the elk,moose and deer that used to be plentiful in the area.
3.kill all of the non native canadian wolves that they have introdused into the area. At the least they need to manage them and have a season to cut population down by at least 75%. Kill them all is still a better option though.

LonnieS
02-14-2011, 07:04 PM
Thanks a lot. This will really help on my project.

IdahoGuy
02-17-2011, 04:33 PM
Hi my name is Ty and my dad said I could post under his user name. Anyway I am a student at Legacy High School in Broomfield, Colorado and I have been doing research on the wolf reintroduction program at Yellowstone National Park. Part of my assignment is to conduct a survey, so I am looking for some responses. You can respond to this post or send me an email at Tyron_Snyder@yahoo.com. I need the responses by Monday evening.

1. Have you heard of the wolf reintroduction program at Yellowstone National Park?

2. Do you think this has caused any problems? If so what problems?

3. Do you have any suggestions for solving these issues?

Thanks for your help!

Ty

Ty....let me see if I can lend some information for you.

1. I live near Yellowstone and am close to and familiar with all the (re)introduction efforts.
2. Absolutely has caused issues. These are not native wolves, these are imported canadian species which are larger and more predetory than the native wolves. It's been years since I've seen a native wolf, but I can tell ya it's not these big boys. The natives are gone because of this species. The populations are getting so dense now that we are seeing these wolves approaching people's houses, are getting hit by cars on the highways and sightings are being reported very frequently. You can tell when a wolf is in the area, you do not see foxes or coyotes mousing in the fields. Once the wolf or wolves pass through the fox and coyotes return. The elk calves are almost non existent now and the elk herds have moved their winter grounds to ranch fields and closer to towns. A lot of folks will dispute these facts. I would invite them to come visit in person and not pass judgement sitting on their couch in another state. Wanna see some pictures of what these wolves do to a pack horse tied up near a camp? Not pretty.
3. I think the wolf hunting permit to control the pack numbers is a fair idea, but it is very controversial. I'm not sure why we are attempting to introduce a species which either never inhabited the areas or if they were there (cannot be proven, except by contorted tales of lore) it's been so long the environment and it's habitants have evolved to a different balance. Introducing or reintroducing the wolves disrupts that balance. I guess I'm confused about the point of bring the wolves in to this environment. Admit it or not this attempt to bring wolves into these areas for nostalgic reasons is insane. Ask any rancher who runs cows or sheep on the range. They get a lot of wolf kills every year. Then the government goes out and kills the offending wolf. What kind of waste of money is that? Do not think these wolves will stay within the confines of Yellowstone Park. They can travel 35 miles a day looking for food.

kill em
02-17-2011, 06:32 PM
Mt gov. just sent the feds a letter that the rachers/hunters can shoot wolves and the wardens will do nothing about it. pretty much told the feds to shove it

Hawgboy
02-24-2011, 07:01 AM
Hopefully minnesota will do the same.

MiGuest
03-05-2011, 06:54 PM
If you need to fill up a certain number of pages on your report do some research on the Michigan U.P. Wolves.

Recent U.P. survey shows deerr numbers are way down and we are having more Wolf people issues. Just read an article in Michigan Woods-n-Water March issue about some rabbit hunters that had a couple of their beagles killed. State worker was tree'd last year by a wolf that was guarding a fresh deer kill.

Actually they are no longer isolated to the U.P. of Michigan. They have expanded their range to the lower half of the state. The DNR tagged some pups and recently one looks like it was killed. They have posted a reward for information on the case.

Whats next, should we release a pack in Florida and Texas also? Maybe Ohio and Illinios would be good locations, I hear they have lots of really big fat deer that could supply food for wolves.

Does anyone really know why our states have wasted money on creating, managing and protecting a predator population that isn't needed? Could this be the ultimate anti-hunting conspiracy? Who needs deer hunters to control the deer population when wolves can kill them all? Eventually deer hunting will have to stop in the U.P. becuase there won't be a viable population of deer left to hunt. Its just a matter of when, 5, 10 or 20 years down the road.

RSR
03-27-2011, 01:50 PM
The DNR in Wisconsin wants to blame Bears for killing all the Elk calves but I have seen a kill with only Wolf tracks in them.

bearhunter
04-24-2011, 10:00 PM
Wolves are just another example of the uneducated voting population setting wild life regulations instead of letting game biologist take care of it.

People travled to Alaska and Canada thinking they would see a wolf. When they don't they decided to try to bring them back here. They have decimated the deer and elk population. Very tough on livestock. Yet very few people see them here.

Talk about a waste of taxpayers money. We cannot revert land in the west to how it once was. There is too many people. Actually the hunters and various hunting organizations had brought the wildlife back to a very stable population. Now we have people with no idea of why they want wolves here or what they will do to the true native species voting and going to court to try to justify there mistakes.

Being from Colorado you know the voters ended spring bear season about ten years back. We have more bear problems now then ever before. Same problem with wolves.

Magic
05-04-2011, 08:11 AM
They are all over the state of MT now, not only the Park. State will have 220 wolf permits this hunting season to try and stop the spreading of these killers. That's a start

Indian Summer
06-09-2011, 06:55 PM
Put this in your report: The wolf reintroduction, and the untold truths about the resullts, are a fine example of politicians messing with mother nature and later learning, but not admitting, that they can't reverse their uneducated actions. Maybe next time they should turn large predators such as wolves and grizzlies loose in Washington DC before trying it in someone elses back yard.

I hereby give you permission to say you wrote that yourself.

Try Googling. Montana unit 250 wolves if you want some real info on the effects of wolves. I can speak first hand too as I lost my back country elk hunting business out there. All of the elk are hairy wolf terds along the horse trails and creek bottoms.

The only thing worse than wolves are the greedy uneducated politcians that put them there. Do your next report on those scavengers.