site will not remember my username....

Dogbreath
12-06-2011, 07:47 AM
Is there something I should be doing to enable this??? :help: I check the little box everytime I log in. I have not redone the computer or anything to cause this. It has also happened at another site and they say sometimes it just will not take - thoughts????
Thanks - great site - enjoy it a lot.....
Keep up the good work
Bob

Golden
12-06-2011, 08:39 AM
Check the internet settings in your browser and take a look at the cookie settings.

It's the "cookie" that is expiring and that is in your settings.

Dogbreath
12-06-2011, 09:57 AM
Every other site (about a dozen or so) remembers my login except this site and one other

Golden
12-06-2011, 10:37 AM
I'm not sure what to say about that Dogbreath, this site remembers hundreds and hundreds and hundreds...... but not yours.

That pretty much makes it your settings.

Check your cookie settings.

Dogbreath
12-07-2011, 06:31 AM
Golden - you don't know what the problem is, but in your expert opinion it is obviously my fault......That was constructive - thanks for taking the time

Juls
12-07-2011, 06:42 AM
Golden - you don't know what the problem is, but in your expert opinion it is obviously my fault......That was constructive - thanks for taking the time

Same thing happens to me, even when I am logged in and haven't closed the browser. I can go back to the homepage and all of the sudden I'm logged out...? Never could figure it out......but by having the site remember the username/password I just have to put in the first initial of my username and it loads the rest. Simple enough to login again.

I have never been able to figure it out either, but I guess it just doesn't bother me enough to complain about it.

Juls

Hot Runr Guy
12-07-2011, 06:50 AM
There are times that the WC homepage shows that I am not logged in, but when I go to the Message Board, I am logged in.

Dogbreath, are you looking at just the homepage, or the boards too?
HRG

Juls
12-07-2011, 06:50 AM
There are times that the WC homepage shows that I am not logged in, but when I go to the Message Board, I am logged in.

Dogbreath, are you looking at just the homepage, or the boards too?
HRG

Yes, that's the same here too HRG...forgot about that. I always log back in to the homepage, because I can't get to my other site links without being logged in. But, I seem to always be logged in on the message boards....just not always on the homepage for some reason. :)

Juls

Golden
12-07-2011, 08:45 AM
Did you ever check your cookie settings Dogbreath?

I'm not just guessing here.....cookies are what the site requires to keep you logged in.

It's a cookie setting and that setting is on your computer, not my server.

Maybe there are more people that have this issue than I know about but right now there are three people out of 48 thousand ........what would you like me to do?

Change the website for three people or leave it working for 48 thousand?

It's a cookie setting.......that is the fact of the matter.

I am trying to help......your remarks are uncalled for.

Dogbreath
12-07-2011, 10:28 AM
It started out as an innocent question and I was hoping the moderator might have a suggestion.
If you had no problem with all your other ususal sites and a small problem of 2 sites not remembering your login name - what would you think????
Maybe you cookie settings are ok and it is a glitch somewhere else???
It is only at login I have a problem, once I am logged in, I appear to stay logged in and have not had a problem with that.
SORRY about the snippy comment, but remarks about changing the site for 48000 others for the sake of 3 do not help either. Pleae dont be so sensitive, I was just asking - not complaining

Golden
12-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Well.....I DID have a suggestion and you still haven't answered my question so I don't know what else to do.

Have you checked your cookie settings?

Until you answer that question I cannot do anything else for you.

I'm not sensitive but being SNIPPY isn't going to get you anymore help than being polite will get you.

If you want help.....I'm trying to help but until you answer the FIRST question I gave you I cannot do anything else.

Again....it's a cookie issue....that is the ONLY thing that keeps you logged in to the site, it's the ONLY thing that is used to "remember" who a user is.

I stand by my comment that if the site is working for tens of thousands of others it must be your settings......how else am I supposed to interpret those numbers?

I have no idea why the other sites you visit are working properly and there is this site and one other site that seems to lose your cookie.....I'm not a computer whiz but I have run across this question several times in the past 16 years that I have had this site online and each and every time it has been the users settings.....not mine.

If it was my settings it only makes sense that everyone would be having this issue......and everyone isn't.....just a very, very small group of people are having this problem so common sense tells me that their settings are different than the thousands of others that visit the site.

That is the thought process......

So.....let's check your settings, check your browser and version of browser, check your computer against the thousands of computers that are not having an issue.

That is all I'm trying to do.

NorthCoastEd
12-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Dogbreath,
My internet explorer acts the same way. And for many other sites. It used to work and save passwords, then it stopped. I have no ideas why.

also have firefox on my PC, it saves passwords just fine. Also I preferse it now. At work I have to use IE. But I like Firefox better (after getting used to it). Firefox is free just search for it and try it for awhile. Hope this helps!

Dogbreath
12-18-2011, 12:00 PM
I emailed the other site that would not save my settings and here is my email and their reply.....
I have a small problem with this website in that it will not remember my login name. This has been going on for some time now
(years) and no change.
All the other sites (about 20) I visit have no problem remembering my login information. I have lowered my privacy settings to low and still no change.
Could there be something specific with your site that is causing this??
Tks

reply......
Dear Mr & Mrs Burch,
Thank you for your email. We apologize for the inconvenience you are experiencing with Wood Gundy Online.
The error you are having is actually coming from our end. Due to a coding issue, many users cannot save their user name on our home page. We have a new rollout for our website coming out in the first quarter of 2012, when this happens it should correct the issue you are having.
If we can assist you further, please feel free to write to us again. You can also reach us by telephone at 1-800-563-3193, or at 416-542-4000 if calling from abroad (8 am to 6 pm ET, Monday through Friday).
Sincerely,
Mike Di Stefano
CIBC Wood Gundy - Client Relations

Golden
12-18-2011, 12:38 PM
But.....that isn't the issue here.

I don't have "many users that cannot save their name"......

If it was a coding issue then there would be hundreds if not thousands of people with that issue.....because bad code is bad code to everyone, it doesn't pick and choose.

Code is like a light bulb, it either works or it doesn't......

I really don't have any other answer for you.....wish I did.

micropterus
12-23-2011, 05:12 AM
"Code is like a light bulb, it either works or it doesn't......"

That is generally true, but the code is not the only factor.

Golden
12-23-2011, 08:08 AM
I agree, but the code is the ONLY factor that I can control.

I cannot control settings on individual computers.

If you have any ideas please share them....I would love to have it working for everyone every time but as it sits my programmers tell me the site is working perfectly and there is nothing they can do.