Home Grown Tackle: Crawler Harness

JJ Scully
12-20-2011, 08:38 PM
Its the time of year now that I start to tie up harnesses for next summer. I'm sure there are others who do this as well. Share your recipe or post some pictures of your latest creation.

I've been using 14 lb Berkley Vanish
3 #2 Daiichi hooks
Assorted beads
and Quick Change Clevice
Blades are usually #5 or #6 and I've been using lots from BIg Eye Custom Tackle

Here is one I tied this week

fishincrazy
12-20-2011, 08:44 PM
Nice!!!!I'm looking forward to this thread.I'm just starting to get serious about tying my own spinner rigs.

I actually have a question....... Flouro or Mono or Braid??
Pro's Con's????

Thinkin the clearer the water use flouro?

Murky water Mono??

Braid for thin diameter to go deeper???

:cheers: Cheers Scully!!!!

FC:grin:

rps
12-21-2011, 05:25 AM
Depth of harness presentation is dependent upon weight, speed, length of line, as well as resistance from the harness blade, line, and bulk. The first three overwhelm the latter three. Depth is therefore a non-issue in the braid versus other decision tree.

I have found fluorocarbon to be more difficult to tie reliable knots. Almost to the point you need to move up in test of line to compensate for the weaker knot. That seems to me to defeat the purpose of using a less visible line. In addition fluoro sinks while mono does not. Thus I use 12# Yo Zuri (inexpensive, good knot strength and abrasion resistance).

As I have posted before, I fish waters with more timber than most others and I was shown harness modifications that reduce hangs in those waters. I use a single #1 or 1/0 worm hook and float beads. I Texas rig the crawler on the hook.

fishincrazy
12-21-2011, 05:30 AM
Depth of harness presentation is dependent upon weight, speed, length of line, as well as resistance from the harness blade, line, and bulk. The first three overwhelm the latter three. Depth is therefore a non-issue in the braid versus other decision tree.

I have found fluorocarbon to be more difficult to tie reliable knots. Almost to the point you need to move up in test of line to compensate for the weaker knot. That seems to me to defeat the purpose of using a less visible line. In addition fluoro sinks while mono does not. Thus I use 12# Yo Zuri (inexpensive, good knot strength and abrasion resistance).

As I have posted before, I fish waters with more timber than most others and I was shown harness modifications that reduce hangs in those waters. I use a single #1 or 1/0 worm hook and float beads. I Texas rig the crawler on the hook.

Thanks RPS! I had not considered the hardware and blade would affdect to buoyancy of the rig.

I also didn't consider the knot strength of flouro.

Thanks for the input!

FC

Hombre Robusto
12-21-2011, 07:21 AM
Been using floro for years. Never had a problem with it.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn108/hetfieldinn/IMG_1252.jpg

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn108/hetfieldinn/IMG_1248.jpg

Paul H
12-21-2011, 08:07 AM
Been using floro for years. Never had a problem with it.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn108/hetfieldinn/IMG_1248.jpg

Looks pretty similar to mine. I always use the plastic blade clevis, makes it easy to change blades, in fact I store most without a blade and clip one on when I use it, less tangles. They only cost a few cents more than the metal clevis and IMHO wear the line less. I have made some with 2 clevis and use a drop line with a walking sinker to get depth, or attach a sinker direct to the harness.

I've always used mono. I think 20 lb test (would need to check), might be heavier. I have a spool just for harness tying. I've tried Fireline also FWIW - not really impressed.

I have some I purchased years ago in Ontario that were wire, they were good in pike territory, worked good enough to hook a 30" walleye in shallow clear water.

fishincrazy
12-21-2011, 08:32 AM
Here's another question in regards to hardware Paul you said you like the plastic clevis,now I've read that the plastic clevis is better for bigger blades like #5 an up?The metal clevis is better for smaller blades.Any truth to this?

FC

locomoto
12-21-2011, 10:17 AM
I tie a lot of harnesses myself. I have pretty always use #12 Big Game on the traditional spinner rig. I like to use Floro for Slow Death Rigs though.

Slightly off topic for a harness tying thread but maybe you folks can steer me the right way.

I fish harnesses 3 different ways. Drifting sideways w/bottom bouncer & rod in a holder, at a slow troll w/bottom bouncer & rod in hand the other method is trolled behind boards with snap weights & rod in a holder of course.

I've found that when I troll them behind boards that I gut hook smaller fish more often if I use a 2 or 3 hook harness. When I use a single hook harness I feel I may be missing a fish here and there. I've been thinking maybe it's a speed thing. I'm usually going .5 -1.0mph when I pull harnesses. I have my boards with tattle flags set pretty light too. I swear sometimes the walleyes eat the worm and just keep swimming along with you going undetected. Any thoughts to what I may be doing wrong? I'm not too hip on gut hooking fish...especially small walleyes.

Again sorry for straying...I'll get some pics up of my harnesses.

JJ Scully
12-21-2011, 10:28 AM
I usually start pulling harnesses at 1.0 - 1.2 if I had to fish slower than that and I would not be trolling or drifting. 1 MPH = 1.46 feet per second. If I had to guess I would say that your problem is a speed issue and the fish having too much time to swallow the bait.

JOE WALLEYE
12-21-2011, 10:35 AM
I like florocarbon for spinners. i use 15# test. i like that the line is stiff and acts more like a shaft allowing the blad to spin without twisting up the harness. if you use a soft line like braid for your harness even with good ball bearing swivels you will get major line twist on the harness and wind up with a tangled ball. another reason to use floro for harness snells is because it lasts a long time. I have snells that have been wound up on a noodle in the boat for a few years and the line is still in great shape ready to go in the water. the ones i have tied with mono start to get chaulky over time and i begin to question their strength. I have heard several pros recomend Floro also.

here is a great video if anyone wants to learn the basics of tieing the rigs up. this is not the knot that i use but it is a very easy one and effective.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RlsECeDbUM&feature=player_embedded

Paul H
12-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Here's another question in regards to hardware Paul you said you like the plastic clevis,now I've read that the plastic clevis is better for bigger blades like #5 an up?The metal clevis is better for smaller blades.Any truth to this?

FC

I use it for all, but I rarely do anything very small (not sure what #). I did make some once for panfish that were very small and used metal. It probably takes a hair more to spin the plastic, then again, it may have less resistance.

fishincrazy
12-21-2011, 12:48 PM
I use it for all, but I rarely do anything very small (not sure what #). I did make some once for panfish that were very small and used metal. It probably takes a hair more to spin the plastic, then again, it may have less resistance.

Good deal Paul Thank you!

FC

Pezman38
12-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Just make sure the quick change clevis you buy has the nipple on the hook like these. I have had fish throw the blade several times without them. I posted about this a while back and Kgone filled me in on this secret. I haven't lost a blade yet.

http://www.crittergittertackle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=231

Hombre Robusto
12-21-2011, 10:24 PM
The clevises with the 'keeper' will still throw blades every once in a while, especially larger blades. I run #6-#8 blades frequently. When I do, I put a dab of Super Glue Gel between the void. Never lost a blade since I started doing it. #8s aren't cheap. The glue will pop right off when you go to change a blade.

Dabluz
12-21-2011, 10:58 PM
I use a hard monofilament like Berkley XT in 10 to 14 lb test when making my worm harnesses. Knot strength is important and fluorocarbon has terrible knot strength.

I much prefer making my own worm harnesses because commercial worm harnesses with high quality hooks and swivels do not exist. I like making them with 3 hooks.

fishincrazy
12-22-2011, 05:32 AM
I use a hard monofilament like Berkley XT in 10 to 14 lb test when making my worm harnesses. Knot strength is important and fluorocarbon has terrible knot strength.

I much prefer making my own worm harnesses because commercial worm harnesses with high quality hooks and swivels do not exist. I like making them with 3 hooks.

Hey There Db you mention something I had another question about......

SWIVELS now in a quality harness rig I assume you use Spro swivels or swivels of similar quality.

FC

Litchfieldwalleye
12-23-2011, 10:39 PM
I'm just glad I finally found a website where people care about crawler harness details... I tie mine with 15# fluoro, and with the appropriate knot, tied correctly, have had zero issues with knot strength, including big fish in the mix. Sorry for the blurry detail of the quick change clevis... Here's an example of one of my 'daily drivers' :12828
p.s. Gamakatsu Walleye wide gap hooks have significantly reduced embarrassing pop-offs

fishincrazy
12-24-2011, 07:52 AM
I'm just glad I finally found a website where people care about crawler harness details... I tie mine with 15# fluoro, and with the appropriate knot, tied correctly, have had zero issues with knot strength, including big fish in the mix. Sorry for the blurry detail of the quick change clevis... Here's an example of one of my 'daily drivers' :12828
p.s. Gamakatsu Walleye wide gap hooks have significantly reduced embarrassing pop-offs

What knot are you using?

FC

fishincrazy
12-24-2011, 07:55 AM
The clevises with the 'keeper' will still throw blades every once in a while, especially larger blades. I run #6-#8 blades frequently. When I do, I put a dab of Super Glue Gel between the void. Never lost a blade since I started doing it. #8s aren't cheap. The glue will pop right off when you go to change a blade.

There you go!

So I guess with everyone seeming to use the quick change clevis you guy's change out frequently until you find the right color,size,and style?
When your pulling a harness where do you start?I mean wht is usually your first presentation?

FC

Hombre Robusto
12-24-2011, 08:05 AM
I usually start with the old faithfuls that have proven themselves over the last few seasons. I'll make sure to have a few blades out with different colored backs. If I know I'm over fish, but can't get anything going, I'll start throwing out some different sizes and shaped blades (choppers, hatchets, indianas, single willows, ect).

fishincrazy
12-24-2011, 08:10 AM
I usually start with the old faithfuls that have proven themselves over the last few seasons. I'll make sure to have a few blades out with different colored backs. If I know I'm over fish, but can't get anything going, I'll start throwing out some different sizes and shaped blades (choppers, hatchets, indianas, single willows, ect).

Nice now do you need to change speeds with different shape blade?I'm thinking water resistance will be different on the different size and shape blades?

FC

Hombre Robusto
12-24-2011, 03:23 PM
All the above blades work well at the same speeds, but 'blowout' at slightly above 2 mph, with the exception of the willow blades, which handle higher speeds. I always start the day (if I'm fishing new water, or water I haven't previously fished), at about 1.1-1.3 mph, and increase it slightly until I find what they like, and start hitting fish.

Litchfieldwalleye
12-24-2011, 04:26 PM
X2 on HR's post- Big colorado blades have more water resistance and seem to ride higher at equivalent speed/line length than willow blades

fishincrazy
12-24-2011, 08:48 PM
Now the question I have is do you change the size as per the water clarity?
Or is clarity and color the deciding point?

FC

Litchfieldwalleye
12-25-2011, 12:18 AM
What knot are you using?

FC
FC- For the snells: unsure of specific name, it's a fairly basic snell knot wrapped @ 7 x's, done carefully and tightened well. Before tying the last hook I always make sure it is oriented on the same plane as the first hook, so as to avoid the hooks being skewed. The blade size I use is dictated more by the size of the forage the fish are keying on. If the water is significantly dingy, I might opt for a colorado style blade, as they seem to 'thump' a bit more than a willow blade, thus utilizing those "good vibrations" to call 'em in. I might even try the 'Ventilator' style blade made by J.B. Lures of Winthrop, MN., next season.

Jolly Roger
12-27-2011, 08:10 AM
I've done a ton of R&D experimenting with different lines and determined Seaguar Red Label Fluorocarbon 15 lb as the best performing for me. I doesn't twist, provides excellent hoookups and is the most durable line I've found. I used many of the same rigs all summer and caught countless fish on them. This is the line we tie all our harnesses and snells with. We haven't had a single break yet. Usually they occur in the net on a big fish when the hooks get caught, but hasn't been an issue with this line.

As for hooks, I use Gamakatsu Octopus in size 4 for rigs that will use a #3 or #4 blade and size 2 hooks for rigs that will use a #5 or #6 blade.

Hope that helps!

Shawn Flemming

fishincrazy
12-27-2011, 02:31 PM
I've done a ton of R&D experimenting with different lines and determined Seaguar Red Label Fluorocarbon 15 lb as the best performing for me. I doesn't twist, provides excellent hoookups and is the most durable line I've found. I used many of the same rigs all summer and caught countless fish on them. This is the line we tie all our harnesses and snells with. We haven't had a single break yet. Usually they occur in the net on a big fish when the hooks get caught, but hasn't been an issue with this line.

As for hooks, I use Gamakatsu Octopus in size 4 for rigs that will use a #3 or #4 blade and size 2 hooks for rigs that will use a #5 or #6 blade.

Hope that helps!

Shawn Flemming

NICE!!!!! :thumbsup:

I love the seaguar product!!!!

As far as hooks Gami's are my favorite I really dig the red ones!!Matchin up hook to blade size is an awesome bit of advice!Thank You!!!!

I was thinking I'd ask everyone who is tying if you voted on clevis type what would you be a metal or a plastic quick change?

FC :D

Dabluz
12-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Has anyone here made a crawler harness that has the spinnner blades installed a good length away from the hooks? I mean that there is about 20 inches of leader material between the beads and blades and the 2 or 3 bait hooks.

The reason that I am asking this is because I get a lot of crawler harnesses from buddies that are made the normal way so when I make my own, I add some distance between the attractors and the bait.

fishincrazy
12-30-2011, 09:42 AM
Has anyone here made a crawler harness that has the spinnner blades installed a good length away from the hooks? I mean that there is about 20 inches of leader material between the beads and blades and the 2 or 3 bait hooks.

The reason that I am asking this is because I get a lot of crawler harnesses from buddies that are made the normal way so when I make my own, I add some distance between the attractors and the bait.

How has this worked for you??This is a very interesting question I am looking forward to hearing if anyone has done this in the past.

Thanks DB!!!
FC

fishincrazy
01-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Picking up line and some clevises today gonna tie some up this week!I'm psyched!!!!!Gonna use 12lb mono XT,15lb flouro,and some of that cajun red line.

Quick question bead size?I guess you want the bead size to match the blade size?Do people use different sizes on the same rig?

FC

JJ Scully
01-10-2012, 11:58 AM
I tie harnesses to use with bigger blades so I use bigger beads as well. I think most of what I use is 6mm. be sure to use enough that the blade is far enough ahead of the hook that it doesn't hit the hook. Beyond that it is alot of trial and error and what you like the looks of. Remember good lures catch as many fisherman as they do fish.

Jolly Roger
01-10-2012, 12:11 PM
I'll usually go with 6MM beads for #5 or #6 blades, 5MM beads for #4 blades and 4MM beads for #3 blades. Qty is usually 7 (enough to keep the blade from interferring with the front hook).

fishing life
01-10-2012, 01:33 PM
That is a good looking rig good profile and one of the colors I really like. Most of the time the ones I tie go away from traditional, use your imagination which has no limits. I have cut blades in different shapes and beads of different sizes to change profiles as well as multiple blades It's all up to you. Have fun and experiment. Some of the biggest walleyes I have caught were on experimental rigs. Good luck !

fishincrazy
01-14-2012, 08:35 AM
So I've got everything I need to tie up some crawler harnesses,but I can't find quick change clevises anywhere in my area.Everybody who carries tackle making supplies only has folded clevises.I'm going to tie some up with the folded clevises but I also want to tie some with quick change .So I'm going to have to order the quick change ones.Does anyone have a favorite brand name?Or can recommend a site sponsor who sells them?

Thanks
FC :thumbsup:

JJ Scully
01-14-2012, 08:47 AM
So I've got everything I need to tie up some crawler harnesses,but I can't find quick change clevises anywhere in my area.Everybody who carries tackle making supplies only has folded clevises.I'm going to tie some up with the folded clevises but I also want to tie some with quick change .So I'm going to have to order the quick change ones.Does anyone have a favorite brand name?Or can recommend a site sponsor who sells them?

Thanks

Here I'll give you an idea that I am going to test this year. With the quick change clevises you can still loose some blades especially when using larger blades. I'm going to try just using a #12 snap swivels. I've tested some for action and they spin just like clevises. I will have to see what the fish think this summer.

fishincrazy
01-14-2012, 08:58 AM
Here I'll give you an idea that I am going to test this year. With the quick change clevises you can still loose some blades especially when using larger blades. I'm going to try just using a #12 snap swivels. I've tested some for action and they spin just like clevises. I will have to see what the fish think this summer.

Well there you go,I wonder if something like a duo lock snap would work also.HMMMMMM Scully Monday night chat harnesses we can discuss this option!I hope to see you out!

For everyone else who ties crawler harnesses stop on by the chat Monday night after the scheduled fire side chat around 8:00-8:10 CT start.I look forward to chatting about harnesses with you!

FC

Marbleyezer
01-14-2012, 04:20 PM
Here's a question for some of you guys. How many times do you use a single hook harness with half a crawler?

I make all my own harness and i probably have 150 tied up (all are 2 or 3 hook), about 3 of every pattern so if it seems to be a hot bead color I can put some more in the water.

Every once in a while they bite very light so ill
pinch the crawler off a little bit after the last hook. It works but the tail of the crawler just doesnt have the action that I like. Just wondering if a single hook harness with a smaller portion of crawler works effectively on those light biters.

Thanks

scott.keeley
01-14-2012, 07:16 PM
I've been using #15 and #20 100% floro for my harness rigs with spro swivels. Always sketchy about my knots on the swivel because it doesn't seem to sintch down tight. I've even considered a light coat of glue after tying the knot just to make sure it stays together but leary that it will reduce the strength by making it brittle. What is the best knot to use to have great confidence in the knot?

Nothing better than catching a nice walleye on something you've made. Getting ready to start tying up more harnesses tomorrow but not 100% confident in my connection to the swivel....

rockrunner
01-14-2012, 07:59 PM
This is the knot I use to tie the swivel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV2baROgoPc

I've also never had issues with 4 raps instead of the suggested 5 and be careful not to burn the line when cinching it tight.

scott.keeley
01-14-2012, 08:41 PM

I've also never had issues with 4 raps instead of the suggested 5 and be careful not to burn the line when cinching it tight.

Rock Runner,
Thanks. I'll get to practicing and tie some up tomorrow. I really enjoy making crawler harnesses and just want to be confident when the rod goes down :) My wife makes jewelry with beads from Michaels and Hobby Lobby and I often end up putting some of her stuff into my harnesses for added flash. I'll try to get some pictures on tomorrow.

Thanks again,
Scott

fishincrazy
01-14-2012, 09:16 PM
I've been using #15 and #20 100% floro for my harness rigs with spro swivels. Always sketchy about my knots on the swivel because it doesn't seem to sintch down tight. I've even considered a light coat of glue after tying the knot just to make sure it stays together but leary that it will reduce the strength by making it brittle. What is the best knot to use to have great confidence in the knot?

Nothing better than catching a nice walleye on something you've made. Getting ready to start tying up more harnesses tomorrow but not 100% confident in my connection to the swivel....

Scott I use the improved Clinch knot with 20# Flouro allot.Just make sure you wet it thoroughly,and like RR said 4 turns works fine.I look forward to seeing your work,and I hope both you and RockRunner will join our Home Grown Tackle chat on Monday night after the fireside chat.We'll be talking about Crawler Harnesses!

ManitouBass
01-17-2012, 08:14 PM
where did the other posts go???

WTF?

fishincrazy
01-17-2012, 08:24 PM
where did the other posts go???

WTF?

There was a problem with the site something latched on to it and had to be cleaned up.I guess it took some post's when they cleaned it.Bummer though maybe we could get some of the post's back up.

FC

labsrus
01-19-2012, 10:39 AM
I fish a lake in Canada that is slightly stained with a lot of pike in it.

We get bit off a lot, at least once every day or so.

I use Vanish 20 pound for the harness

I have purchased wire for the harness and have tried tying a few. They look OK but I need to find a hook with a larger hook eye so I can repass the line thru it for the snelled knot I tie.

Looked for a recomendation on hook and maybe a new knot to use

ManitouBass
01-26-2012, 11:49 PM
Some from this past weekend. No set formulas here, various barrel swivels, hooks, hook sizes etc

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/manitoubass/2012%20winter/tacklecraftjan2012034.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/manitoubass/2012%20winter/tacklecraftjan2012030.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/manitoubass/2012%20winter/tacklecraftjan2012028.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/manitoubass/2012%20winter/tacklecraftjan2012027.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/manitoubass/2012%20winter/tacklecraftjan2012022.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/manitoubass/2012%20winter/tacklecraftjan2012020.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/manitoubass/2012%20winter/tacklecraftjan2012019.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/manitoubass/2012%20winter/tacklecraftjan2012016.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/manitoubass/2012%20winter/tacklecraftjan2012018.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/manitoubass/2012%20winter/tacklecraftjan2012012.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/manitoubass/2012%20winter/jan232011012.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/manitoubass/2012%20winter/tacklecraftjan2012003.jpg

I made about 10 of each of these, give or take. Got more to do this weekend too!

fishincrazy
01-27-2012, 06:53 AM
Some from this past weekend. No set formulas here, various barrel swivels, hooks, hook sizes etc

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/manitoubass/2012%20winter/tacklecraftjan2012034.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/manitoubass/2012%20winter/tacklecraftjan2012030.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/manitoubass/2012%20winter/tacklecraftjan2012028.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/manitoubass/2012%20winter/tacklecraftjan2012027.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/manitoubass/2012%20winter/tacklecraftjan2012022.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/manitoubass/2012%20winter/tacklecraftjan2012020.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/manitoubass/2012%20winter/tacklecraftjan2012019.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/manitoubass/2012%20winter/tacklecraftjan2012016.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/manitoubass/2012%20winter/tacklecraftjan2012018.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/manitoubass/2012%20winter/tacklecraftjan2012012.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/manitoubass/2012%20winter/jan232011012.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/manitoubass/2012%20winter/tacklecraftjan2012003.jpg

I made about 10 of each of these, give or take. Got more to do this weekend too!

MB there sweet!!I just got a bunch of blades from Ebay and am going to be tying some up also!I really dig the Halloween Spinner rig Orange and Black just like my favorite hockey team the Flyers!!!!

:rock-on: FC

ManitouBass
01-27-2012, 12:11 PM
lol, the orange/black works really well on rainy river for pike and walleye. It works best when the water fluctuates and stains up the water.

anyhow, glad you like them.

I just noticed in one of the pics I forgot to glue one of my rigs, lol. I'll have to go dig it out and fix it up

Pezman38
01-27-2012, 12:21 PM
What do you use for hooks?

I have found some long shank gamakatsu hooks that I like because I put a minnow on through the mouth, out the gill and into the back. Seems to help my hookup ratio, however, with these new gamakatsu hooks I think the wire might be to heavy and is hindering their performance.

Who makes the best 2/0 to 3/0 long shank light wire hook?

fishincrazy
01-27-2012, 12:38 PM
What do you use for hooks?

I have found some long shank gamakatsu hooks that I like because I put a minnow on through the mouth, out the gill and into the back. Seems to help my hookup ratio, however, with these new gamakatsu hooks I think the wire might be to heavy and is hindering their performance.

Who makes the best 2/0 to 3/0 long shank light wire hook?

I've got a couple of old boxes of Mustad long shank hooks like 1000 of them so I haven't bought them in years.They work really well for me.I just always check the points.

Question hooking the minnow that way does it make it spin??

FC

Pezman38
01-27-2012, 12:46 PM
I've got a couple of old boxes of Mustad long shank hooks like 1000 of them so I haven't bought them in years.They work really well for me.I just always check the points.

FC

I would have to say yes it spins, but no more than hooking under the mouth through the head. I still catch as many fish as the other guys and usually more.

To get it to spin a bit less I try to angle the hook so the point is coming out by the top of the spine, but doesn't always seem to help. The fish still eat it.

fishincrazy
01-27-2012, 12:52 PM
I would have to say yes it spins, but no more than hooking under the mouth through the head. I still catch as many fish as the other guys and usually more.

To get it to spin a bit less I try to angle the hook so the point is coming out by the top of the spine, but doesn't always seem to help. The fish still eat it.

Nice!!!!!!

ManitouBass
01-27-2012, 12:55 PM

FC

Off topic, but hooking the minnow that way is deadly for a dead stick, just sayin'.

and if anything is off kilter, or you even make them to spin, it's still a deadly rig. Just look at slow death rigs.

The only time I say no to any spinning bait is a vertical presentation, like current or whatever, then the barrel swivel is essential, IMO

bigb027
01-27-2012, 08:40 PM
Just want to add that me and my friends always use a treble on the back of our harnesses. A gamakatsu treble and a VMC single with the triple barbs.
The best premade ones i have see came from Bob gooding at Walleyes Unlimited. They use floro with vmc hooks and the blade colors are awesome.

:rockit:

Hombre Robusto
01-28-2012, 10:46 AM
I switched from a treble on the back to running two octopus hooks on my spinner rigs, and noticed an improvement on hookups to net ratios. I think it might be that the single hook has less 'surface area', and the fish tends to not feel the hook, and keeps the bait in it's mouth. Most fish I net have one of the hooks buried in it's beak, and a lot less fish are lost. I experimented over a whole season with both, and the two single hook presentation far out performed the treble setup.

JerryA
01-29-2012, 08:05 AM
We tie our own harnesses for Erie - 14lb Trilene XT, quick change clevises, 5-6 mm beads. We use #2 Gama Walleye Wide Gap hooks - they are running .35-.40 each now. We tie all 2 hook rigs - never saw a need for 3 hooks on Erie. Less hooks to get tangled in the net and and stuck in fingers. Lots of guys tie trebles as the last hook. Man, those things grab everything in sight once a fish is in the net/boat. Plus, they seem to catch on the zebra muscles more. Again, never really saw a need for them.

Hombre Robusto
01-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Here's a standard Lake Erie harness that I tie. I have about 3-3 1/2" between the hooks (the distance from the edge of my index finger to the bottom of my pinky if I was going to salute, for lack of a better term).

fishincrazy
01-29-2012, 01:09 PM
Here's a standard Lake Erie harness that I tie. I have about 3-3 1/2" between the hooks (the distance from the edge of my index finger to the bottom of my pinky if I was going to salute, for lack of a better term).

That looks awesome!!!Did you paint that blade???Is it a size 5?

FC

Hombre Robusto
01-29-2012, 01:40 PM
That looks awesome!!!Did you paint that blade???Is it a size 5?

FC

I paint all my own blades, and yes, it's a #5.

perchjerker
01-29-2012, 01:43 PM
I am always impressed by Hombre's painting skills.

fishincrazy
01-29-2012, 02:31 PM
I hear that PJ I can't even finger paint!

I'll tell you what Hombre that is one sick paint job!
Do you clear coat it with devcon?

FC

Hombre Robusto
01-29-2012, 03:09 PM
Yes, I use Devcon epoxy to clear coat them. Here's some others I've done.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn108/hetfieldinn/IMG_1212.jpg

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn108/hetfieldinn/IMG_1078.jpg

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn108/hetfieldinn/IMG_1236.jpg

drbrand
01-29-2012, 03:38 PM
HR, Are those blades air brushed?

fishincrazy
01-29-2012, 09:33 PM

Hombre you one bad dude!!!!These are awesome!I have a bunch of friends who paint plugs but I haven't seen many guy's paint up blades like these there SWEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing,Maybe you could let us lesser folks in on how you do it?

FC

labsrus
01-30-2012, 10:48 AM
Those hand painted blades look really nice.

I saw my sons girlfriends fingernails that were painted with a swirl multicolr on them that looked good for spinner blades. I asked here where she got them painted and she told me that she did it herself.

So I hired her to paint a bunch for me.

Gave her a few bucks for the nail polish along with some plant brass and silver blades.

Her first attempt turned out pretty good.

I will post them up in a few days, they are Freshman at Kent State and we will see them this weekend.

Hombre Robusto
01-30-2012, 04:05 PM
Thanks for sharing,Maybe you could let us lesser folks in on how you do it?

FC

It's very easy to do, and the airbrush equipment is very reasonably priced. You can find airbrushes for around $30, but better quality ones are easier to work with. I use an Iwata Eclipse model, with a $40 Harbor Freight airbrush compressor. I use all Createx flourescent paints, which cost about $3 for 4 oz, which goes a long way. I clean the blades quickly with a cotton rag (sleeves I cut off my t shirts). Hit them with a hair dryer on low before I clear coat them to 'set' the paint. Clear coat with Devcon Clear Epoxy Weld, thinned with a few drops of denatured alcohol, and applied with a cheap acid brush from Home Depot. I set them on a poly cutting board for a few days. Some have been in the water hundreds of hours, caught tons of fish, and have never chipped.

fishincrazy
01-30-2012, 04:49 PM
It's very easy to do, and the airbrush equipment is very reasonably priced. You can find airbrushes for around $30, but better quality ones are easier to work with. I use an Iwata Eclipse model, with a $40 Harbor Freight airbrush compressor. I use all Createx flourescent paints, which cost about $3 for 4 oz, which goes a long way. I clean the blades quickly with a cotton rag (sleeves I cut off my t shirts). Hit them with a hair dryer on low before I clear coat them to 'set' the paint. Clear coat with Devcon Clear Epoxy Weld, thinned with a few drops of denatured alcohol, and applied with a cheap acid brush from Home Depot. I set them on a poly cutting board for a few days. Some have been in the water hundreds of hours, caught tons of fish, and have never chipped.

I'm gonna look into this! Thanks Hombre!!

Radnine
01-30-2012, 07:48 PM
I will re-ask my question that got wiped out due to the hack attack: Does anyone glue their snell knots?
The knots as tied in the attached video (from Walleye Workshop) looked susceptible to coming undone (by pushing back toward the hook eye with the line). Or am I not seeing something correctly? The other confusing thing is that there about a jillion ways of tying a snell knot on the interweb that seem way more complicated than the one in the video.
Thanks,
Jim

scott.keeley
01-30-2012, 08:07 PM
I've put glue on my knots before but I try to avoid it because I am skeptical that the glue will make the knot (line) brittle and become prone to breaking easier. Super glue on mono or flouro makes the line become chalky white and very brittle as the chemicals in the glue react with the line. I've found some "rubbery" based glue at the craft store and that doesn't seem to result in the brittle effect but I still avoid it if I can. Best way to gain confidence in your knots is to practice a lot. Find what works for you, then replicate it over and over again so it becomes easy for you.

scott.keeley
01-30-2012, 08:17 PM

Here's what Rockrunner provided as "a way" to tie to the swivel. Trick is to wet the line when cinching it up so you don't burn the line.

fisher_i_am
01-30-2012, 08:27 PM
I saw the earlier link with fly tying clamps to maintain consistent lengths between hooks. Is this how everyone does it or are there any way to make home made fixtures. Seems like the clamps are way to go. Just wondering if theres other techniques.

JJ Scully
01-30-2012, 09:16 PM
I will re-ask my question that got wiped out due to the hack attack: Does anyone glue their snell knots?
The knots as tied in the attached video (from Walleye Workshop) looked susceptible to coming undone (by pushing back toward the hook eye with the line). Or am I not seeing something correctly? The other confusing thing is that there about a jillion ways of tying a snell knot on the interweb that seem way more complicated than the one in the video.
Thanks,
Jim

I tie my knots just like the video and have never had one come undone. I tie my last hook on with a palomar knot then snell the two in front of it.

fishincrazy
01-31-2012, 04:42 AM
I saw the earlier link with fly tying clamps to maintain consistent lengths between hooks. Is this how everyone does it or are there any way to make home made fixtures. Seems like the clamps are way to go. Just wondering if theres other techniques.

If you Google tying a crawler harness you'll see guy's tying free hand.I think the vise method is just eaiser.I'm sure you could make a jig to tie em on.You know use dowels or something.

FC

Hombre Robusto
01-31-2012, 06:52 AM

I tie the bottom hook on the line using a Trilene know. I put the second hook on the line, and put my fingers together, like I'm going to salute, or give a karate chop. I run the line over my hand till the point of the hook catches the bottom of my pinky. I slide the second hook down so the bottom of the bend is resting on top of my index finger. I hold the hook on the line, and do an inline snell knot. Every rig turns out the same.

K Gonefishin
01-31-2012, 07:02 AM
I've been snelling both hooks and never ran into a problem on breakage or either coming loose you just have to cinch them tight. Couple no wrong ways to skin this cat. :rock-on:

fishincrazy
01-31-2012, 09:07 AM
I tie the bottom hook on the line using a Trilene know. I put the second hook on the line, and put my fingers together, like I'm going to salute, or give a karate chop. I run the line over my hand till the point of the hook catches the bottom of my pinky. I slide the second hook down so the bottom of the bend is resting on top of my index finger. I hold the hook on the line, and do an inline snell knot. Every rig turns out the same.

Good deal Hombre this is what I settled on.It makes it so both hooks are in line!Thanks for the info!

FC

ManitouBass
01-31-2012, 09:34 AM
Thanks,
Jim

Even when you buy pre made snells from various companies, the snell will loosen itself if you push the mainline backwards towards the hook eye, like you said.

That being said, it vary rarely causes an issue.

But yeah, sometimes I use a dab of superglue. Just a small small dab. Or, other times I'll tie a double overhand knot securing it to the hook eye, so it can't "back up".

Hope this helps!

ManitouBass
01-31-2012, 09:43 AM
Just to be a little more specific...

The overhand knot can only be added to the last hook, so I generally only use that method for Lindy style rigs.

Another thought...

Does anyone use lighter line for their rigs??? Sometimes, I'm not so sure you need such heavy line, unless your fishing Erie or somewhere full of zebra mussels of course.

If you make them on say, 8-10lb line, you'll find the blades will spin much better. And this might be an idea for those who prefer slower trolling speeds. Gets the blades going much easier.

fishincrazy
01-31-2012, 02:12 PM
Just to be a little more specific...

The overhand knot can only be added to the last hook, so I generally only use that method for Lindy style rigs.

Another thought...

Does anyone use lighter line for their rigs??? Sometimes, I'm not so sure you need such heavy line, unless your fishing Erie or somewhere full of zebra mussels of course.

If you make them on say, 8-10lb line, you'll find the blades will spin much better. And this might be an idea for those who prefer slower trolling speeds. Gets the blades going much easier.

I'm tying up a bunch for my Canada trip on 8LB XT.I'm glad someone else thinks tahs a good idea.

FC

ManitouBass
01-31-2012, 02:29 PM
I'm tying up a bunch for my Canada trip on 8LB XT.I'm glad someone else thinks tahs a good idea.

FC

lol, now if only I can rig up a weedless version and still make blades that spin in heavy cover, lol.

I use 8lb mono quite abit for harnesses, works great!

Pezman38
01-31-2012, 02:41 PM

FC

I understand why you guys would downsize line, however, I upsize my line in Canada for a couple reasons.

1. Rocks are all over and I like a heavier line that is very abrasion resistant, like flouro.
2. The water I fish is stained an amber color and although visability is 5-6 feet, clear flouro is great for hiding the heavy line at any depth.
3. PIKE - They get me a lot, even with 17lb flouro, but I boat more than ever now

Reasons above are just MO.

My main line is always 10-12lb Berkley XT color doesn't matter.

Radnine
01-31-2012, 03:36 PM
Even when you buy pre made snells from various companies, the snell will loosen itself if you push the mainline backwards towards the hook eye, like you said.

That being said, it vary rarely causes an issue.

But yeah, sometimes I use a dab of superglue. Just a small small dab. Or, other times I'll tie a double overhand knot securing it to the hook eye, so it can't "back up".

Hope this helps!

It does help! If only to prove that I am not seeing things.
Thanks!
Jim

walleye571
01-31-2012, 08:00 PM
Definitely got the itch to tie up some harnesses. Waiting to see the pics of the blades done by the girlfriends nail polish.:rock-on:

bigb027
01-31-2012, 08:49 PM
I switched from a treble on the back to running two octopus hooks on my spinner rigs, and noticed an improvement on hookups to net ratios. I think it might be that the single hook has less 'surface area', and the fish tends to not feel the hook, and keeps the bait in it's mouth. Most fish I net have one of the hooks buried in it's beak, and a lot less fish are lost. I experimented over a whole season with both, and the two single hook presentation far out performed the treble setup.

I heard that about salmon as well. After losing some fish in a tourny I switched to all rear trebles and it is all I run now. More of a mental thing for me. I was mad as hewill that day and something had to change. Besides these fish up here aren't big enough to pull the trebles out. :o

fishincrazy
02-01-2012, 10:27 AM
I understand why you guys would downsize line, however, I upsize my line in Canada for a couple reasons.

1. Rocks are all over and I like a heavier line that is very abrasion resistant, like flouro.
2. The water I fish is stained an amber color and although visability is 5-6 feet, clear flouro is great for hiding the heavy line at any depth.
3. PIKE - They get me a lot, even with 17lb flouro, but I boat more than ever now

Reasons above are just MO.

My main line is always 10-12lb Berkley XT color doesn't matter.

I hear you I'm tying up in 5 different line sizes 8lb xt and 12 lb xt,15 lb flourocarbon,12 lb cajun red,and 20 lb flouro.I'm ging to experiment with them and see what works best for me.

FC

labsrus
02-01-2012, 10:30 AM
Sorry guys, I am going to see the kids this weekend and will pick up the nail polish blades.

Will post pictures next week

ManitouBass
02-01-2012, 10:35 AM
Definitely got the itch to tie up some harnesses. Waiting to see the pics of the blades done by the girlfriends nail polish.:rock-on:

These are done with nailpolish, lol. The lighting sucks and doesn't do them justice. They look pretty **** nice in person, IMO

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/manitoubass/2012%20winter/jan232011045.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/manitoubass/2012%20winter/tacklecraftjan2012002.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/manitoubass/2012%20winter/tacklecraftjan2012033.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/manitoubass/2012%20winter/tacklecraftjan2012029.jpg

walcat
02-01-2012, 11:38 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/walcat01/My%20Worm%20Harnesses/MyWormHarnesses008.jpg

fishincrazy
02-01-2012, 12:06 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/walcat01/My%20Worm%20Harnesses/MyWormHarnesses008.jpg

Walcat now those are sweet!!!!!I've got to get me some of those floats!Nobody has em this time of year!

FC

Pezman38
02-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Walcat now those are sweet!!!!!I've got to get me some of those floats!Nobody has em this time of year!

FC

It appears walcat is using pipe insulators, I tried those but found them too soft. The SUPER pool noodles for about 2 bucks are great. Don't have to wrap a 6 foot snell as many times.

walcat
02-01-2012, 12:11 PM
fishincrazy, those are pieces of 4" refrigeration pipe insulation cut to 12 "

Hombre Robusto
02-01-2012, 12:23 PM
I like using pool noodles. Get them at Wal-Mart or Marc's for 99 cents. I cut a piece of 1" pvc, and push it down the middle so they won't blow out of the boat at 55 mph.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn108/hetfieldinn/IMG_0785.jpg

ManitouBass
02-01-2012, 01:15 PM
I like using pool noodles. Get them at Wal-Mart or Marc's for 99 cents. I cut a piece of 1" pvc, and push it down the middle so they won't blow out of the boat at 55 mph.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn108/hetfieldinn/IMG_0785.jpg

Great minds think alike!

I bag mine though until I use them. Then they get the floaty

PTShad
02-02-2012, 08:26 AM
Some really nice looking harnesses posted. I have noticed a lot of large, single hook setups. To those with those setups, are you fishing larger, open water eyes? Just curious your preference to the large single hook. I'm in the midwest (KS) and I have been tying all of mine with 2 small (#4s) hooks for my crawlers. Most of our fish are in the 15-22" range though.

Pezman38
02-02-2012, 08:29 AM
Some really nice looking harnesses posted. I have noticed a lot of large, single hook setups. To those with those setups, are you fishing larger, open water eyes? Just curious your preference to the large single hook. I'm in the midwest (KS) and I have been tying all of mine with 2 small (#4s) hooks for my crawlers. Most of our fish are in the 15-22" range though.

I use single hooks for minnows, my crawler harnesses are two to three hooks.

ManitouBass
02-02-2012, 10:14 AM

I posted pics of some "lindy rigs" as there basically the same st up, minus one hook.

For lindy rigs I will use larger hooks at times, but I always have an assortment. I like to experiment with different hooks too.

For worm harnesses though, although I use different hooks, there almost always a #2.

ManitouBass
02-02-2012, 10:14 AM

I posted pics of some "lindy rigs" as there basically the same st up, minus one hook.

For lindy rigs I will use larger hooks at times, but I always have an assortment. I like to experiment with different hooks too.

For worm harnesses though, although I use different hooks, there almost always a #2, with two hooks

bigb027
02-02-2012, 01:53 PM
Anybody ever use the bright painted hooks ? They make a orange, pink, and chartruse I think. I have a friend that swears by them. I'm gonna powder paint a couple to try this spring. :popc1:

Hombre Robusto
02-02-2012, 02:00 PM
I used to use the red hooks, but the paint (anidization?), wears off before the day is done, so I switched to all black nickle hooks. They're cheaper, anyway.

fishincrazy
02-02-2012, 02:09 PM
I like the red hooks but like Hombre said they seem to fade to a golden color.
I've used the coated hooks on lindy rigs never on a harness but I've got some ordered and am going to tie some up and see how they do.

FC

CW 186
02-02-2012, 02:19 PM
I used to use the red hooks, but the paint (anidization?), wears off before the day is done, so I switched to all black nickle hooks. They're cheaper, anyway.Thanks for the picture of the floats with your harness wrapped on them. Now if you can post some pics of your favorite blades!:popc1:

Hombre Robusto
02-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the picture of the floats with your harness wrapped on them. Now if you can post some pics of your favorite blades!:popc1:

Before I started painting my own blades, I wouldn't go out without the following Silver Streak blades:

CJ Special
Salamander
Mixed Veggies
Double orange crush
Pink Passion
Margarita
Purple Boxer
Salmonella
Purple Demon
Mi-Hi

CW 186
02-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Thanks,My favorites last year were margarita,mixed veggies and muffin w/chart back. I just picked up some new purple boxer blades.

scott.keeley
02-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Before this thread got nuked a few weeks back we were doing show and tell on some nontraditional set-ups. Here are a couple that I made using jewelry beads taken from my wifes jewlery kit.

fishincrazy
02-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Before this thread got nuked a few weeks back we were doing show and tell on some nontraditional set-ups. Here are a couple that I made using jewelry beads taken from my wifes jewlery kit.

I remember these Scott They're sweet!!!!

FC

bigb027
02-02-2012, 07:42 PM
I have been using some glass beads for about 3 years with great results.
Great ideas guys. I have used the red hooks for years just never anything as bright as my friend likes. Chartruse hooks aren't in my usual arsenal. Them things are bright. :boozer:

fishincrazy
02-02-2012, 09:05 PM
I have been using some glass beads for about 3 years with great results.
Great ideas guys. I have used the red hooks for years just never anything as bright as my friend likes. Chartruse hooks aren't in my usual arsenal. Them things are bright. :boozer:

I've actually used glow colored hooks and caught.They where just a lindy rig but they worked.

FC

PTShad
02-04-2012, 10:00 AM
I figure since I was asking questions I could at least contribute to the original point of the thread. Here are my 3 most used spinners here in KS. These all have #3 blades, sometimes I use #4s. The lead hook is a #2 trail hook is a #4, trying to use up the 2s. If the fish are up off the bottom or I am fishing in some snaggy areas I will incorporate pill floats.

fishincrazy
02-04-2012, 07:00 PM
I figure since I was asking questions I could at least contribute to the original point of the thread. Here are my 3 most used spinners here in KS. These all have #3 blades, sometimes I use #4s. The lead hook is a #2 trail hook is a #4, trying to use up the 2s. If the fish are up off the bottom or I am fishing in some snaggy areas I will incorporate pill floats.

I love the red white and blue!!!
The 2 colors green are sweet too!!!

FC :bowdown:

walcat
02-05-2012, 06:42 AM
My best blade the last 5 years has been a # 4 willow leaf Mass Confusion on Lake Erie.Killer. I also use #2 Eagle Claw Kahle hooks. Lost very few on that hook.

fishincrazy
02-05-2012, 01:20 PM
My best blade the last 5 years has been a # 4 willow leaf Mass Confusion on Lake Erie.Killer. I also use #2 Eagle Claw Kahle hooks. Lost very few on that hook.

Nice I'd love to see a picture of your rig!!

FC

bigb027
02-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Has anybody found a source for quality crome beads that hold up ? I just went thru my boxes and all my crome harnesses are grey. The crome is worn right off. :popc1:

fishincrazy
02-05-2012, 07:15 PM
Has anybody found a source for quality crome beads that hold up ? I just went thru my boxes and all my crome harnesses are grey. The crome is worn right off. :popc1:

Great question for Dave Janns tomorrow night on the tackle chat!!

Right on bigb027!!!!

If anybody would know he would and if he doesn't know he can find out!

FC

Jolly Roger
02-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Hi Bigb027,

We can help you out...over 40 bead colors. Link below in the WC Business Directory.

fishincrazy
02-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Hi Bigb027,

We can help you out...over 40 bead colors. Link below in the WC Business Directory.

Nice!!!and a sponsor to boot!!!

Good Deal
Jolly

FC :raisin:

scott.keeley
02-05-2012, 09:03 PM
I made my first purchase with Jolly Roger last month and have to say that they have quality products! I tie a lot of my own harnesses and enjoy doing it but if you want a great product in a timely manner these guys can deliver. Lots of great choices in hook size, bead color and blade options. Thanks for what you do.

rps
02-05-2012, 11:54 PM
Scott:

Switch your post button from Auto to Single Shot.

scott.keeley
02-06-2012, 04:19 AM
I think I better put it on safe for awhile. Screen locked up and I kept hitting post but nothing was happening on my end. Little did I know that I posted the same thing four times. Oops.
:bangin:

fishincrazy
02-06-2012, 04:25 AM
I think I better put it on safe for awhile. Screen locked up and I kept hitting post but nothing was happening on my end. Little did I know that I posted the same thing four times. Oops.
:bangin:

Like a hiccup! :frypan:

fishincrazy
02-12-2012, 06:57 AM
I have a question I want to paint up some blades but I don't want to do the airbrush thing .So I went out and bought some nail polish and started painting up some blades.I'm wondering if the weight of the nail polish will effect the spinning?Do I have to paint both sides of the blade to balance it?Any input would be greatly appriciated!

FC

walleye4
02-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Paint them however you want with polish as they won't be to heavy!

walleye4
02-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Here is a pic of my setup for in the boat. I have found this to be AWESOME when putting spinners together while in the boat. Sure helps to be organized when on the water!

walleye571
02-12-2012, 12:03 PM
How do you store your spinner blades?

fishincrazy
02-12-2012, 01:44 PM
Paint them however you want with polish as they won't be to heavy!

Ah yes Thank you very much!!!

fishincrazy
02-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Here is a pic of my setup for in the boat. I have found this to be AWESOME when putting spinners together while in the boat. Sure helps to be organized when on the water!

That is sweet!!I see something like that in my future!!!!

FC :rockit:

walleye4
02-12-2012, 03:13 PM
That is sweet!!I see something like that in my future!!!!

FC :rockit:

Good luck on finding the little boxes though. I get them from relation that welds and I have looked everywhere(including the company that makes the ones I have) and unless your buying welding tips, you aren't getting any. Don't know why but that is what they told me. I even had to pay .75/each for the ones I got. I got a few left if you want some.

fishincrazy
02-12-2012, 08:52 PM
Good luck on finding the little boxes though. I get them from relation that welds and I have looked everywhere(including the company that makes the ones I have) and unless your buying welding tips, you aren't getting any. Don't know why but that is what they told me. I even had to pay .75/each for the ones I got. I got a few left if you want some.

Yes I'd be interested at least in knowing the name of the company I know some welders I might be able to get some of those boxes from.I'd also like to see a couple open boxes in a picture that'd be really cool!!

walleye4
02-12-2012, 09:30 PM
I'll have to get the number again to the place. I think it was LinWeld but I will check! I will take another pick with some boxes open.

fishincrazy
02-12-2012, 09:31 PM
i'll have to get the number again to the place. I think it was linweld but i will check! I will take another pick with some boxes open.

nice!!!!!!

Fc :d

Rapscallion
02-13-2012, 05:23 AM
Perch imitation 20# XT, #2 Gamatsku octupus hooks, #5 Colorado deep cup, beads & blade from Jann's Netcraft, snelled upper and Trilene knot on trailer.

fishincrazy
02-13-2012, 10:09 AM
Perch imitation 20# XT, #2 Gamatsku octupus hooks, #5 Colorado deep cup, beads & blade from Jann's Netcraft, snelled upper and Trilene knot on trailer.

This is very nice.Which beads are those ?I like the way they look.

FC

Rapscallion
02-13-2012, 10:52 AM
This is very nice.Which beads are those ?I like the way they look.

FC
beads - http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/fishing-lure-beads/350301.aspx
blades - http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/colorado-painted-spinner-blades/310476.aspx

fishincrazy
02-14-2012, 04:42 AM
beads - http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/fishing-lure-beads/350301.aspx
blades - http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/colorado-painted-spinner-blades/310476.aspx

Sweet thanks I'm gonna get me some!!!

FC

ohiojmj
02-14-2012, 05:41 AM

Nice work Rapski, I always follow your lead since I seldom can keep up with your (sheephead) numbers!

JJ Scully
02-15-2012, 10:17 AM
Someone had asked before about how we store spinners. I've fished in quite a few boats and seen quite a few different ways. Everything from big boxes to small boxes to the paper bag from the tackle shop on the way to the lake. This is what I have come up with. I use the plano 5231 stow and go. You will find it in the tool section not the fishing section. Joe Okada had a video on youtube about this box and I find that it work well for how I fish. The top tray is shallow enough that you can get to the blades without alot of wasted space. The bottom tray is deep enough to put beads and parts in 35mm film canisters.

Joe Okada
02-15-2012, 10:31 AM
Someone had asked before about how we store spinners. I've fished in quite a few boats and seen quite a few different ways. Everything from big boxes to small boxes to the paper bag from the tackle shop on the way to the lake. This is what I have come up with. I use the plano 5231 stow and go. You will find it in the tool section not the fishing section. Joe Okada had a video on youtube about this box and I find that it work well for how I fish. The top tray is shallow enough that you can get to the blades without alot of wasted space. The bottom tray is deep enough to put beads and parts in 35mm film canisters.

Looks good JJ! You have some of my favorite blades in that tray:grin:

JJ Scully
02-15-2012, 10:42 AM
Looks good JJ! You have some of my favorite blades in that tray:grin:

Thanks Joe I have a little bit of everything and seem to always be adding more

walleye571
02-15-2012, 11:19 AM

Can you find it in the walmart tool section? That looks nice.

JJ Scully
02-15-2012, 11:29 AM
Can you find it in the walmart tool section? That looks nice.

I've bought them at K-mart and Menards, I don't know about Walmart

fishincrazy
02-15-2012, 02:28 PM

JJ---this is sweet!!!I'm gonna get one of these boxes now I just have my stuff in a Plano box but this is like a system!

FC

Pezman38
02-15-2012, 02:43 PM
I have a couple of these for spinner blades and terminal tackle now. A couple Erie guys turned me on to them (you know who you are).
The dividers are molded in so no more blades slipping underneath, and if you get two boxes, the beads, clevises and weights can go in the other. No seperate containers to mess with.

http://www.createforless.com/Darice+Jewelry+Designer+Bead+Storage+System+No+Spi ll+Organizer+13.7x+8.6x+1.37/pid145272.aspx?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=cse

I have heard some local craft stores may have these.

perchjerker
02-15-2012, 02:45 PM
I have a couple of these for spinner blades and terminal tackle now. A couple Erie guys turned me on to them (you know who you are).
The dividers are molded in so no more blades slipping underneath, and if you get two boxes, the beads, clevises and weights can go in the other. No seperate containers to mess with.

http://www.createforless.com/Darice+Jewelry+Designer+Bead+Storage+System+No+Spi ll+Organizer+13.7x+8.6x+1.37/pid145272.aspx?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=cse

cool site

I bought one of these to keep my depthfinder in

http://www.createforless.com/Dritz+Kimberly+Poloson+Sewing+Baskets+Large+Oval/pid190793.aspx?celRecommendationType=Product&celCampaignName=undefined&celPHName=CreateForLessCrossSell&celSourceId=145272&celTargetId=190793

Hombre Robusto
02-15-2012, 03:37 PM

That's what I use. The dividers are molded in, so blades won't slide under them, and the compartments are cupped, so blades are removed easily. If you have a Pat Catan's near you, they sell them for under five bucks. I have about a dozen of 'em.

ksgoosekillr
02-15-2012, 03:43 PM
cool site

http://www.createforless.com/Dritz+Kimberly+Poloson+Sewing+Baskets+Large+Oval/pid190793.aspx?celRecommendationType=Product&celCampaignName=undefined&celPHName=CreateForLessCrossSell&celSourceId=145272&celTargetId=190793

look at the bright side it will never get stolen, unless your at a quilting show

walleye571
02-15-2012, 04:23 PM
Why is it that the plano boxes in the fishing section are more than the boxes in the craft, tool or other sections. I think they know the fisherman will pay extra for their stuff.:sad:

perchjerker
02-15-2012, 04:37 PM
look at the bright side it will never get stolen, unless your at a quilting show

what, you dont like it?

Im sad now...

Pezman38
02-15-2012, 07:40 PM
cool site

PJ that is nice, I bet it matches your boxers.

I was going to post them from Amazon, but for some reason they list them at 18 bucks which is ten more than I paid. No Pat Catans where I live, just Hobby Lobby, they have some too but they are deeper and not as long.

fishincrazy
02-15-2012, 08:28 PM
cool site

OH MY GOD!!!!!!PJ that is the funniest thing I have heard in weeks!!I bought one too!!! :howdy:

Texeye
02-16-2012, 07:49 PM
I have about 6 colors combinations I use for clearer water and about 4 for dirty or murky water. I can usually get close with these 10 combinations. Once I get close I start refining...usually blade color. I don't like having so many different combinations that I clutter my mind up and end up not seeing a pattern emerge.
Here are a couple of the style I like...

fishincrazy
02-17-2012, 10:54 AM
I have about 6 colors combinations I use for clearer water and about 4 for dirty or murky water. I can usually get close with these 10 combinations. Once I get close I start refining...usually blade color. I don't like having so many different combinations that I clutter my mind up and end up not seeing a pattern emerge.
Here are a couple of the style I like...

Tex are they #3 Blades?How do you like the faceted beeds?

FC

BTW they look great!! :howdy:

Texeye
02-17-2012, 01:34 PM
Yes these are #3's. One of my favorites here in the south. I have luminescent beads,pearl beads and most of the others, but I like these the best. I like the way light reflects off them in every direction. Makes for a clean looking spinner. A lot of fish seem to like a clean looking spinner..:)

walleye571
02-17-2012, 04:34 PM
Yes these are #3's. One of my favorites here in the south. I have luminescent beads,pearl beads and most of the others, but I like these the best. I like the way light reflects off them in every direction. Makes for a clean looking spinner. A lot of fish seem to like a clean looking spinner..:)

What exactly do you mean by a "clean looking spinner"? Mine look clean until I put the crawler on them.:grin:

CW 186
02-17-2012, 07:40 PM
Here some of mine made today.13729

CW 186
02-17-2012, 07:47 PM
more13730

CW 186
02-17-2012, 07:53 PM
more13731

fishincrazy
02-18-2012, 07:57 AM
CW I must say I really like these.What are the beads on the Colorado spinning harnesses that are yellow but seem to be translucent?There in the 2nd and 3rd post's pictures.They look totally cool!I was also wondering did you paint these blades?

Thanks for posting!!!

FC :howdy:

CW 186
02-18-2012, 08:32 AM
They are chart green translucent,they look good.

CW 186
02-18-2012, 08:34 AM
No did not paint blades,I will try that someday. Blades are from big papa sportfishing and erie outfitters and jansnettcraft.

fishincrazy
02-18-2012, 12:39 PM
They are chart green translucent,they look good.

Who carries these They are SWEET!!!!

FC

CW 186
02-18-2012, 03:39 PM
Beads,erie outfitters,ole pete's,janns net craft sometimes local craft stores. 6mm lime green,chart green and the darker one are emerald green. They come in alot of different colors,some clear or some solid.

camel
02-18-2012, 10:04 PM
Does anyone glue the beads together?

fishincrazy
02-18-2012, 10:10 PM
Does anyone glue the beads together?

I haven't but I have seen bead stacks being sold in a couple of tackle craft catalogs.I wonder if that would change the action of the rig?

Good question......

FC ????

offshoretroller
02-19-2012, 11:54 AM
I've read all 17 pages and got alot of really great tips...i'm glad i found this board.

I'm really interested in making all my own harnesses. Where do you suggest i get all my stuff from?

is it 1 stop shopping ? or should i get this here and that there?

pm's are fine

jeko1958
02-19-2012, 12:30 PM
I get my stuff from Ole Coyote on eBay. Great selection...great prices...delivery in 2-3 days!

fishincrazy
02-19-2012, 02:42 PM
I've read all 17 pages and got alot of really great tips...i'm glad i found this board.

I'm really interested in making all my own hanesses. Where do you suggest i get all my stuff from?

is it 1 stop shopping ? or should i get this here and that there?

pm's are fine

You can start here on the WC Business directory.You will find vendors who sell what your looking for.You can also join the Home Grown Tackle chat Monday night 8 PM CT,we're talking Crawler harnesses.There are members who support this site who usually are involved.I look forward to seeing your rig's.

FC

offshoretroller
02-19-2012, 05:43 PM
You can start here on the WC Business directory.You will find vendors who sell what your looking for.You can also join the Home Grown Tackle chat Monday night 8 PM CT,we're talking Crawler harnesses.There are members who support this site who usually are involved.I look forward to seeing your rig's.

FC

That sounds great, i'll have to make that another monday as i have a big game dinner this coming monday .

I did pick this up on ebay this afternoon, i thought it was an ok deal: 220 3",4"&5" copper blades, sinkers, bottom bouncers, clevis', gamo hooks...the whole shooting match + a few boxes for 77.00. Was this a good deal?

fishincrazy
02-19-2012, 05:49 PM
That sounds great, i'll have to make that another monday as i have a big game dinner this coming monday .

I did pick this up on ebay this afternoon, i thought it was an ok deal: 220 3",4"&5" copper blades, sinkers, bottom bouncers, clevis', gamo hooks...the whole shooting match + a few boxes for 77.00. Was this a good deal?

I think you got a good deal.There's like 100 or so blades that alone could go for what you paid or more.

FC

JJ Scully
02-19-2012, 05:51 PM

sure so your the one who outbid me that was a good deal at twice that price

offshoretroller
02-19-2012, 05:52 PM
http://i.imgur.com/jRpk0.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/PBmMX.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2QYu6.jpg

Because the blades are atleast a buck a piece that i saw all the rest of the terminal tackle is relatively inexpensive. The seller didnt know how many blades were in each compartment, but atleast 2 were in each. After looking some had like 2 to 7 blades!!!!!

fishincrazy
02-19-2012, 06:06 PM
http://i.imgur.com/jRpk0.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/PBmMX.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2QYu6.jpg

Because the blades are atleast a buck a piece that i saw all the rest of the terminal tackle is relatively inexpensive. The seller didnt know how many blades were in each compartment, but atleast 2 were in each. After looking some had like 2 to 7 blades!!!!!

Nice!!Fishlanders are nice blades!

FC

ksgoosekillr
02-20-2012, 07:31 AM
Heres a few blades i painted the other night, my question is have you guys had various colors just not want to smooth over much? I have almost every single colors and it seem there are about a dozen or so that not how much i vary the heat, from too little (powder stays dry) to too much (powder smokes and bubbles), the just right amount of heat should gloss over a blade. IN the pic below and you see some of what im talking about. The lower tiger stripe blade looked perfect then i attempted to add a clear coat and not it looks like crap and feels like sand paper... any suggestions

JJ Scully
02-20-2012, 07:46 AM
Heres a few blades i painted the other night, my question is have you guys had various colors just not want to smooth over much? I have almost every single colors and it seem there are about a dozen or so that not how much i vary the heat, from too little (powder stays dry) to too much (powder smokes and bubbles), the just right amount of heat should gloss over a blade. IN the pic below and you see some of what im talking about. The lower tiger stripe blade looked perfect then i attempted to add a clear coat and not it looks like crap and feels like sand paper... any suggestions

I will start by saying that I have never been happy with how my powder paint has turned out on blades or spoons. But a few questions and I can probably help you get it better. How are you heating your blades? Are you curing the blades in an oven? Are you curing your blades between colors? What are you using for clear coat?

ksgoosekillr
02-20-2012, 08:42 AM
I will start by saying that I have never been happy with how my powder paint has turned out on blades or spoons. But a few questions and I can probably help you get it better. How are you heating your blades? Are you curing the blades in an oven? Are you curing your blades between colors? What are you using for clear coat?

oven wont get hot enough to heat blades, i currently have a torch and heat to a count of 4, id say 75% of my colors turn out perfect... sometimes i cure in between colors but found out it is a waste of time, if you hold the painted blade back over the heat a little farther away;s you can watch it gloss over, right then pull it away and you can apply second color... THen after im done they get cured in oven. Protec clear coat. This really isnt about my process, just that some of the Protec colors i have no matter how i switch up the heat will not gloss over

JJ Scully
02-20-2012, 08:55 AM
Ok what I have found is that some of the colors need a higher temp and some need a lower temp. But I always shoot for the paint not to gloss over on the initial dip. I want it to remain powdery and not glossed over then I cure the paint in a toaster oven to make it gloss over. If it is hot enough to gloss over right away I ended up with the paint being too thick for blades. Its not a problem on sinkers or jigs but the paint can get quite heavy on blades. Once the paint on the first color cures I take it out and dip the second color then after letting it cool I cure it again. Once cured you shouldn't need clear coat on the powder paint. The only time I clear coat them is if I added paint on top of the powder and in that case I spay a clear coat from a can

ksgoosekillr
02-20-2012, 09:20 AM
even after curing it will not gloss over, all of the candy colors, the transparent colors, red, gold, white pearl... those colors regardless how hot i get the blade seem to not want to gloss up, even after curing. Not sure if my powder paint went bad??? still powder with no clumps, had a few colors ruin on my but the rest look like new.

ksgoosekillr
02-20-2012, 09:28 AM
Also does anyone here have any tips for how to get a pattern or dots, or good lines with powder paint?? ive tried a lot of web tips and still get the splatter, the straw for dots just causing drippings on the paint...

fishincrazy
02-20-2012, 11:50 AM
If you are powder coating blades are you dipping them or dusting them with the pro tec?I haven't tried to paint blades with powder but after seeing your's I'm gonna give it a shot.

FC

ksgoosekillr
02-20-2012, 11:56 AM
If you are powder coating blades are you dipping them or dusting them with the pro tec?I haven't tried to paint blades with powder but after seeing your's I'm gonna give it a shot.

FC

dusting them, holding them for a count of 4 away from the torch flame, then just dusting them with a brush. YOu cant dip them unless you have one steady hand because you want only one side painted. im sure it could be done though

fishincrazy
02-20-2012, 12:47 PM
dusting them, holding them for a count of 4 away from the torch flame, then just dusting them with a brush. YOu cant dip them unless you have one steady hand because you want only one side painted. im sure it could be done though

I'm gonna give it a try this afternoon!What kind of blades are you using?I've got some copper and some nickle,and I believe some brass.This is exciting!

FC

ksgoosekillr
02-20-2012, 12:55 PM
I'm gonna give it a try this afternoon!What kind of blades are you using?I've got some copper and some nickle,and I believe some brass.This is exciting!

FC

colorado nickle number 4's, took me a few tries to get the right heat count...

fishincrazy
02-20-2012, 02:14 PM
colorado nickle number 4's, took me a few tries to get the right heat count...

I tried it out on like 8 blades nickle,brass,and copper.It didn't turn out so well.I think it was to hot in the toaster oven and it burned all of the paint except on one.I think I'm gonna not do powder coat on blades anymore.I'm gonna get an air brush and try that.

FC

ksgoosekillr
02-20-2012, 02:20 PM
I tried it out on like 8 blades nickle,brass,and copper.It didn't turn out so well.I think it was to hot in the toaster oven and it burned all of the paint except on one.I think I'm gonna not do powder coat on blades anymore.I'm gonna get an air brush and try that.

FC

good lord what kinda toaster you got??? i couldnt even get my toaster oven to get the blades hot enough for the paint to stick. Works great with jigs but not on the blades. Thats why i used a propane torch. The toaster worked great to warm jigs before painting them and great to cure both blades and jigs, but wasnt hot enough for the blades to hold paint if that makes sense

fishincrazy
02-20-2012, 02:28 PM
good lord what kinda toaster you got??? i couldnt even get my toaster oven to get the blades hot enough for the paint to stick. Works great with jigs but not on the blades. Thats why i used a propane torch. The toaster worked great to warm jigs before painting them and great to cure both blades and jigs, but wasnt hot enough for the blades to hold paint if that makes sense

It's a rival the cheapest one at walmart.just my luck I guess.

FC

ksgoosekillr
02-20-2012, 02:32 PM
It's a rival the cheapest one at walmart.just my luck I guess.

FC

same one i have, on "always on" setting at the highest the knob will go which is like 400deg??? something like that... i even hang my blades off paper clips so they were in front of the burner, after 20min in the oven the paint would not stick. thats a big difference between ours

fishincrazy
02-20-2012, 02:55 PM
same one i have, on "always on" setting at the highest the knob will go which is like 400deg??? something like that... i even hang my blades off paper clips so they were in front of the burner, after 20min in the oven the paint would not stick. thats a big difference between ours

I set mine at 350 and let it heat up first I know it's at 350 because I use a cooking thermostat.Once I'm at 350 I put in my jig's.With the blades I covered the rack with aluminum foil and place it on the top rack I guess with the aluminum foil and the blades laying flat facing the heat source was to much for em.

FC

Thembonez
02-20-2012, 05:06 PM
Was looking at getting started painting my own blades. Woundering what kind of airbrush can be used for powder paint. Will those brushes with the jar I find on eBay do the trick or are their certain ones I have to use?

Hombre Robusto
02-20-2012, 05:10 PM
Just out of curiosity, why powder paint? Seems like a lot of trouble, and limited in the paint schemes. Why not use an airbrush?

fishincrazy
02-20-2012, 05:45 PM
Just out of curiosity, why powder paint? Seems like a lot of trouble, and limited in the paint schemes. Why not use an airbrush?

I plead stupidity and lack of funds to buy an airbrush.When I do have the funds look out.I'll be painting up a storm!

FC

scott.keeley
02-20-2012, 06:01 PM
I'm putting an air brush on my list of "things" to get sometime this year. Although it probably would have been a great winter project... I've used some of the metallic spray paints found by the model cars in hobby shops when doing a bunch of spinners at a time. Leave one side whatever the original color is and give the other a quick blast or two and you're done. Definitely going to invest in an air brush for some of the finer detail work though. I'll have to test out my artistic ability again.

Scott

ksgoosekillr
02-20-2012, 07:04 PM

powder paint is a ton easier than air brushing! no cleanup, no thinners, no overspray, no compressor, no clear coat neccasary, and i dare you to find vinly or lacquor paint that is even half as tough as cured powder paint... the only plus side that i see with brushing is the detail work, and ability to do a lot at once. i can pour and two tone paint 200 jigs and hour.... for what i do that is more than will ever see the water. my grandfather is an rc hobbyist and i grew up around air brushing, he has his own ciculated paint both attached to his shop... this may be just my opinion but after i started using powder paint theres not much id think about brushing again in terms of fishin gear

labsrus
02-20-2012, 07:16 PM
Example of one caught with a hand painted blade

Hombre Robusto
02-20-2012, 07:52 PM
powder paint is a ton easier than air brushing! no cleanup, no thinners, no overspray, no compressor, no clear coat neccasary, and i dare you to find vinly or lacquor paint that is even half as tough as cured powder paint... the only plus side that i see with brushing is the detail work, and ability to do a lot at once. i can pour and two tone paint 200 jigs and hour....

I can see that it is beneficial when it comes to jig heads, but it seems like a PITA when it comes to spinner blades.

scott.keeley
02-20-2012, 07:53 PM
As we discussed in the Home Grown Chat tonight. This works good for volume but not so much for the detailed work you would get from an airbrush or powder paint when combining colors or paterns.

Scott

fishincrazy
02-20-2012, 08:20 PM
Example of one caught with a hand painted blade

Nice!!!!Is that fish North of the border?

FC

fishincrazy
02-20-2012, 08:21 PM
As we discussed in the Home Grown Chat tonight. This works good for volume but not so much for the detailed work you would get from an airbrush or powder paint when combining colors or paterns.

Scott

I gotta get me some of that are there other colors?

FC

scott.keeley
02-20-2012, 08:27 PM
I gotta get me some of that are there other colors?

FC

Yes, there are other colors available. I just tried this one out because I like purple. I think it was about 4 or 5 bucks a can and has a nice metallic flake to it. Found it by the model cars in hobby lobby. Not far from the airbrush I was eyeing... Please let me know if anyone has a recommendation on a good dual action airbrush / compressor set up that is reasonably priced.

Thanks

fishincrazy
02-21-2012, 08:48 AM
Yes, there are other colors available. I just tried this one out because I like purple. I think it was about 4 or 5 bucks a can and has a nice metallic flake to it. Found it by the model cars in hobby lobby. Not far from the airbrush I was eyeing... Please let me know if anyone has a recommendation on a good dual action airbrush / compressor set up that is reasonably priced.

Thanks

Nice I'm gonna get me some of that paint to try.I'm also going to look into getting set up with an air brush.

FC :shocked:

Hombre Robusto
02-21-2012, 09:59 AM
Harbor Freight has a small, very quiet, airbrush specific air compressor for around $40-50.

TCP Global-

http://www.tcpglobal.com/?gclid=CPqn59vEr64CFRQUKgod5HO3UA

Has a nice selection of air brushes. I've been using an Iwata Eclipse for the past few years, and like it.

labsrus
02-21-2012, 10:25 AM
As I promised a while ago

Here are a few of the blades that were painted by my son's grilfriend using nail polish.

And yes, the picture is of my son on our fly in trip in Ontario last summer

fishincrazy
02-21-2012, 10:35 AM
Harbor Freight has a small, very quiet, airbrush specific air compressor for around $40-50.

TCP Global-

http://www.tcpglobal.com/?gclid=CPqn59vEr64CFRQUKgod5HO3UA

Has a nice selection of air brushes. I've been using an Iwata Eclipse for the past few years, and like it.

HR this is sweet check out my new HGT thread all about painting maybe you can help us learn more about painting.

fishincrazy
02-21-2012, 10:38 AM
As I promised a while ago

Here are a few of the blades that were painted by my son's grilfriend using nail polish.

And yes, the picture is of my son on our fly in trip in Ontario last summer

Lab these are sweet!Do you know what kind of nail polish she used?How did she do it with just a bottle and applicator?Or with a sprayer?I'd love it if she could explain it to us!

BTW this would be good on the new HGT Painting Thread!

labsrus
02-26-2012, 06:31 AM
How do most guys troll with harness rigs?

We usually have a in line sinker with a rubber core just below the knot on the harness. I use a good ball bearing snap swivel to keep line twist down. This is the method for 90 % of the time when we troll with a harness.

We do set up with a three way once in a while and one of those bottom bouncers with the stiff wire on it.

I am thinking of looking at using a bullet worm weight when I am near weeds to see if that help keep weeds away from the hooks

Thoughts or comments?

fishincrazy
02-26-2012, 06:36 AM
I pull em on bottom bouncers or sometimes even on inline weights.I don't fish areas with allot of weeds,mostly rock where we pull harnesses.I would like to hear what somebody say's in regards to this too.

FC

Dabluz
02-26-2012, 10:46 PM
I pull em on bottom bouncers or sometimes even on inline weights.I don't fish areas with allot of weeds,mostly rock where we pull harnesses.I would like to hear what somebody say's in regards to this too.

FC

I use 8 to 12 lb clear mono for the leader and tandem or 3 single hooks. Since my blades and beads are on large diameter mono or fluorocarbon followed by another swivel (swivel in front and below beads and blades) just the hooks are lost on bottom debris. Having the blades and beads on a short length of large mono or fluorocarbon allows me to easily store them. When I tie my hooks to the 8 to 12 lb mono, I leave about 24 inches of mono to tie to the last swivel. This way I can vary the length there is between the blades and the tandem or 3 single hooks. If I get hooked on bottom debris, the smaller mono also will break before the main line or the part which has the beads and blades. The pre-tied hooks and leader are also easy to wrap and store.

This habit comes from the days when I used gang trolls about 4 feet long followed by about 3 feet of mono and then the bait or lure.

fishincrazy
02-27-2012, 05:11 AM
I use 8 to 12 lb clear mono for the leader and tandem or 3 single hooks. Since my blades and beads are on large diameter mono or fluorocarbon followed by another swivel (swivel in front and below beads and blades) just the hooks are lost on bottom debris. Having the blades and beads on a short length of large mono or fluorocarbon allows me to easily store them. When I tie my hooks to the 8 to 12 lb mono, I leave about 24 inches of mono to tie to the last swivel. This way I can vary the length there is between the blades and the tandem or 3 single hooks. If I get hooked on bottom debris, the smaller mono also will break before the main line or the part which has the beads and blades. The pre-tied hooks and leader are also easy to wrap and store.

This habit comes from the days when I used gang trolls about 4 feet long followed by about 3 feet of mono and then the bait or lure.

I'd love to see a picture of that DaBluz!

Dabluz
02-27-2012, 09:59 PM
I'd love to see a picture of that DaBluz!

Those gang trolls we used for brook trout were huge. They had about 5 or 6 large blades that diminished in size towards the end of the gang troll. Everything was wire leader material. The largest blade was sometimes as large as my hand. They also had a large shiny keel in front to reduce line twisting. We mostly used swimming lures like Rapalas on clear mono about 4 feet behind the gang troll. It took a very stiff trolling rod (full glass rod) and big reel like a Penn 209. It was surprising to see how well the brook trout would hit the lure. Even a 10 inch brookie would not hesitate to attack the lure. However, 4 feet of distance behind the gang troll was minimum length.

I haven't used a gang troll in over 30 years but I still have some. They work great way out from shore over deep water.

fishincrazy
02-28-2012, 03:27 PM
Those gang trolls we used for brook trout were huge. They had about 5 or 6 large blades that diminished in size towards the end of the gang troll. Everything was wire leader material. The largest blade was sometimes as large as my hand. They also had a large shiny keel in front to reduce line twisting. We mostly used swimming lures like Rapalas on clear mono about 4 feet behind the gang troll. It took a very stiff trolling rod (full glass rod) and big reel like a Penn 209. It was surprising to see how well the brook trout would hit the lure. Even a 10 inch brookie would not hesitate to attack the lure. However, 4 feet of distance behind the gang troll was minimum length.

I haven't used a gang troll in over 30 years but I still have some. They work great way out from shore over deep water.

That sounds cool! I'd still love to see a picture of one of these.

FC :howdy:

#1hoyt
02-28-2012, 05:00 PM
i haven't looked at all 21 pages so this might be a repeat. Has anyone had luck or have pics of two blade spinners?

Hombre Robusto
02-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Absolutely. Double #3 or 4 colorado blades, or double #4 willows, and double #4 hatchets in the middle of summer can produce very well.

fishincrazy
02-28-2012, 08:59 PM
Absolutely. Double #3 or 4 colorado blades, or double #4 willows, and double #4 hatchets in the middle of summer can produce very well.

How far apart do you space these blades?Do you have any pic's us slower humanoid's can look at? :cookoo:

FC :D

Breezer09 Xrapman2009
02-29-2012, 04:12 PM
Try this around steep drop offs: River Fishing w revised crawler rig,

Tie a 2 hook rig #4's about 18 inches long, slide a !/8 oz sinker above the top hook, tie this to one end of a barrel swivel, above the barrel swivel will be, next, a 3/4 inch pc of white 14/2 wire, stripped off and cut clean w a utility knive, above that Add 4 #4 red beads,above that , then a real small bead, it keeps the blade from hitting beads, above that the clevis and #4 Willow blade, Silver or Chartruese.
Early season along first drops out from shallow water, Throw it out and let it sink slowly towards bottom
and lift and drop back towards boat and bring it back up along the drop and onto top of flat, that's when I get my most hits, I still use a 1/8oz even in summer fishing, it gives it way more action, when lifting and dropping along the deepest drops the same way, but do it this way, put your boat on the shallow side of drop off and anchor and throw out to the deepest part of drop area and let it sink to bottom w bail open , be sure to watch line for a bite while it is sinking,if so , throw the bail over quick and set the hook, know lift and drop and slowly do this all the way to the boat, this way you are dragging this rig, with is swaying crawler, from the deep part to the shallow top and over it.
They think it is getting away and I had some explosive hits this way , and this was shown to me by my
really good friend ,(He passed away many years ago, who always got more walleye and big bass this way, many yrs ago and I am very
sucessful doing this on rivers and lake drop off areas or around deep side of humps for many years, thanks to my good fishing buddy, Give this a try.
Keep a tight line,
Breezer09

fishincrazy
02-29-2012, 08:05 PM
Try this around steep drop offs: River Fishing w revised crawler rig,

Tie a 2 hook rig #4's about 18 inches long, slide a !/8 oz sinker above the top hook, tie this to one end of a barrel swivel, above the barrel swivel will be, next, a 3/4 inch pc of white 14/2 wire, stripped off and cut clean w a utility knive, above that Add 4 #4 red beads,above that , then a real small bead, it keeps the blade from hitting beads, above that the clevis and #4 Willow blade, Silver or Chartruese.
Early season along first drops out from shallow water, Throw it out and let it sink slowly towards bottom
and lift and drop back towards boat and bring it back up along the drop and onto top of flat, that's when I get my most hits, I still use a 1/8oz even in summer fishing, it gives it way more action, when lifting and dropping along the deepest drops the same way, but do it this way, put your boat on the shallow side of drop off and anchor and throw out to the deepest part of drop area and let it sink to bottom w bail open , be sure to watch line for a bite while it is sinking,if so , throw the bail over quick and set the hook, know lift and drop and slowly do this all the way to the boat, this way you are dragging this rig, with is swaying crawler, from the deep part to the shallow top and over it.
They think it is getting away and I had some explosive hits this way , and this was shown to me by my
really good friend ,(He passed away many years ago, who always got more walleye and big bass this way, many yrs ago and I am very
sucessful doing this on rivers and lake drop off areas or around deep side of humps for many years, thanks to my good fishing buddy, Give this a try.
Keep a tight line,
Breezer09

That sounds really cool!I've got to try this!

Thanks,
FC

WeBBladin
03-01-2012, 09:19 AM
Here is one of mine! Smile blades are a must this time of year on the "Big C"

fishincrazy
03-01-2012, 09:29 AM
Here is one of mine! Smile blades are a must this time of year on the "Big C"

Nice!!!!Say are those spin floats on your rig?If so how do they work with the blade?

FC

WeBBladin
03-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Nice!!!!Say are those spin floats on your rig?If so how do they work with the blade?

FC

No not spin floats, just a double corkie rig. I like lots of bouyancy this time of year (trolling slow) and for that I run a double corkie or a pill float with less beads. If you put it in the water and with no current it sinks, then there's not enough bouyancy. Later on in the summer I'll go to metal blades and some w/straight beads.

Breezer09 Xrapman2009
03-01-2012, 03:39 PM
FishinCrazy,
Thanks for the nice comeback, it really works great;
Know, if they would start a trolling ways and a still fishing site it
would get very interesting, just as this crawler harness did.
Keep a tight line,
Xrapman

fishincrazy
03-01-2012, 05:57 PM
FishinCrazy,
Thanks for the nice comeback, it really works great;
Know, if they would start a trolling ways and a still fishing site it
would get very interesting, just as this crawler harness did.
Keep a tight line,
Xrapman

I think your right there are many methods of sitting and fishing,I have a spot where fish the your technique will work!I'm gonna try it this spring.I was also thinking I would take this rig to Canada there's a spot on the water we fish that is perfect for this presentation.Thanks Please don't be a stranger to the HGT threads!We need more guy's who think outside the box!

Tight Lines
Remember to always keep your stick on the ice!
FC :cheers:

fishincrazy
03-01-2012, 05:58 PM
No not spin floats, just a double corkie rig. I like lots of bouyancy this time of year (trolling slow) and for that I run a double corkie or a pill float with less beads. If you put it in the water and with no current it sinks, then there's not enough bouyancy. Later on in the summer I'll go to metal blades and some w/straight beads.

You ever try peg floats or pencil floats on your rig?I like the peg floats we use em for slow drifting floating harnesses.

FC

WeBBladin
03-05-2012, 04:40 PM
You ever try peg floats or pencil floats on your rig?I like the peg floats we use em for slow drifting floating harnesses.

FC

I've never tried it, but thanks. That gives me several new ideas....

fishincrazy
03-06-2012, 09:05 PM
I've never tried it, but thanks. That gives me several new ideas....

I'd love to see these new ideas!!!!

FC

btomlin
03-07-2012, 02:08 PM
What is everyone's recommendation for hooks???

I know, myself, I have a better hookup ratio with a "straight point" hook vs. the beak octopus hooks. I'm not sure if it is because I set the hook hard when I get a bite or what.

I am currently using a VMC 9269(i think). They have a slight offset that I straighten and are scary sharp with a straight point. So far so good....although I have some Trokar octopus hooks enroute and I think they are going to be the cat's azzzz.

I guess my thinking is if you look at jigs or crankbait hooks they don't have beaky hooks so why would you want them on a harness.

I fish my harnesses behind a bouncer with rod in hand so this may make a difference also...

What is the philosophy behind a "beaked" hook point??? anyone?

Dabluz
03-07-2012, 03:13 PM
What is everyone's recommendation for hooks???

I know, myself, I have a better hookup ratio with a "straight point" hook vs. the beak octopus hooks. I'm not sure if it is because I set the hook hard when I get a bite or what.

I am currently using a VMC 9269(i think). They have a slight offset that I straighten and are scary sharp with a straight point. So far so good....although I have some Trokar octopus hooks enroute and I think they are going to be the cat's azzzz.

I guess my thinking is if you look at jigs or crankbait hooks they don't have beaky hooks so why would you want them on a harness.

I fish my harnesses behind a bouncer with rod in hand so this may make a difference also...

What is the philosophy behind a "beaked" hook point??? anyone?

The reason behind the beaked hook point is simple....the angle of penetration of the hook.

To see the angle of penetration of a hook, take a small piece of cardboard and a straight hook on the end of a 2 foot length of line. Apply the point of the hook to the cardboard and pull on the line until there is enough pressure on the point of the hook to start to make it penetrate the cardboard. You will see depending on the type of eye and the knot used, the angle of penetration is not 90 degrees. It can be almost 45 degrees. This means that it could take twice as much strength for the hook to penetrate the hard part of a fish's mouth than if the angle of penetration is at 90 degrees.

Trying different knots, different eyes on the hooks, different hook shank lengths and the different points will show how greatly all these variables affect the angle of penetration. You want an angle of penetration that is as close to 90 degrees as possible.

Yes....a curved point also decreases the gap of a hook. The gap of the hook is important for good hooking....especially if there is bait on the hook. On many hooks, the length of the point (before the barb) is also sometimes a bit longer on a curved point. A longer point is a bit more counterproductive than a very short point. Also, due to the curve at the point, the barb may be a bit larger or longer. Ideally, the barb should be short yet be able to penetrate easily.

A good sharp, hard, short, curved hook point with a good barb must certainly increase the cost of making the hook. Many people do not want to spend 1 or 2 dollars for a hook.

Contrary to you, I will often offset the points of hooks that do not have any offset. You have to be careful of doing that to some hooks because there are some really great hooks that have a very high carbon content and will break when trying to bend them. Also, too much of an offset and the angle of penetration is no longer 90 degrees and therefore increase the power it takes for the point to penetrate. I have used hooks that looked fantastic but their carbon content was such that they would be a bit springy and during the strike, the angle of penetration would change. I would miss the fish and the hook looked great when I would inspect it. Some hooks can be too brittle. A brittle hook is great for some applications but if your fishing where the hook can easily get snagged on wood or rocks, you either end up with a broken point or a lost lure or jig. Hooks that are soft will bend enough to come loose from rocks and even wood but a pliable hook may also bend when it comes time for it to penetrate the hard part of a fish's mouth.

David Anderson
03-12-2012, 09:43 PM
I finally read the entire thread. Nice stuff out there. For my hand tied crawler harness I always use Tru Turn bait holder hooks. They have a nice long shaft, hold the crawlers well, and basically set the hook by themselves. #4's work very well.

fishincrazy
03-13-2012, 06:58 AM
I finally read the entire thread. Nice stuff out there. For my hand tied crawler harness I always use Tru Turn bait holder hooks. They have a nice long shaft, hold the crawlers well, and basically set the hook by themselves. #4's work very well.

Nice I never thought to use true turn hooks I'm gonna give em a try!
Thanks for the props on the HGT thread!IT's all about the tackle!!!

ksgoosekillr
03-22-2012, 07:34 AM
heres a few recent ones, all hand tied, and hand painted blades except for the one willow leaf....

fishincrazy
03-22-2012, 12:20 PM
heres a few recent ones, all hand tied, and hand painted blades except for the one willow leaf....

Very Nice what kind of line is that??The paint jobs are totally cool!!

FC

ksgoosekillr
03-22-2012, 01:37 PM
Very Nice what kind of line is that??The paint jobs are totally cool!!

FC

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fishing-Line/Monofilament|/pc/104793480/c/104719680/sc/104457780/Stren-Original-LineHiVis-Gold-330-Yard/702134.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffishi ng-fishing-line-monofilament%2F_%2FN-1100384%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104457780%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253Bcat104793 480%253Bcat104719680&WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat104793480%3Bcat104719680%3Bcat10445 7780

in 14lb on the spinners... what im crazy about is the new coated stuff out... after pullin jigs thru rock it has zero wear

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fishing-Line/Monofilament|/pc/104793480/c/104719680/sc/104457780/Berkley-Trilene-XL-Armor-Coated-Monofilament/1304212.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffish ing-fishing-line-monofilament%2F_%2FN-1100384%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104457780%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253Bcat104793 480%253Bcat104719680&WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat104793480%3Bcat104719680%3Bcat10445 7780

fishincrazy
03-22-2012, 03:25 PM
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fishing-Line/Monofilament|/pc/104793480/c/104719680/sc/104457780/Stren-Original-LineHiVis-Gold-330-Yard/702134.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffishi ng-fishing-line-monofilament%2F_%2FN-1100384%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104457780%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253Bcat104793 480%253Bcat104719680&WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat104793480%3Bcat104719680%3Bcat10445 7780 (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fishing-Line/Monofilament%7C/pc/104793480/c/104719680/sc/104457780/Stren-Original-LineHiVis-Gold-330-Yard/702134.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffishi ng-fishing-line-monofilament%2F_%2FN-1100384%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104457780%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253Bcat104793 480%253Bcat104719680&WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat104793480%3Bcat104719680%3Bcat10445 7780)

in 14lb on the spinners... what im crazy about is the new coated stuff out... after pullin jigs thru rock it has zero wear

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fishing-Line/Monofilament|/pc/104793480/c/104719680/sc/104457780/Berkley-Trilene-XL-Armor-Coated-Monofilament/1304212.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffish ing-fishing-line-monofilament%2F_%2FN-1100384%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104457780%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253Bcat104793 480%253Bcat104719680&WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat104793480%3Bcat104719680%3Bcat10445 7780 (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fishing-Line/Monofilament%7C/pc/104793480/c/104719680/sc/104457780/Berkley-Trilene-XL-Armor-Coated-Monofilament/1304212.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffish ing-fishing-line-monofilament%2F_%2FN-1100384%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104457780%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253Bcat104793 480%253Bcat104719680&WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat104793480%3Bcat104719680%3Bcat10445 7780)

Has the coated line worked for you?Are you using it just for rigs or is it your main line too??

FC

ksgoosekillr
03-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Has the coated line worked for you?Are you using it just for rigs or is it your main line too??

FC

i run 40lb power pro as my main (same dia as 10lb test) that way all the dive charts work for cranks, plus i can run the same rods for blue cats. I only run the coated on my casting rigs. im not too concerned with species/technique specific combos due to lack of funding lol

fishincrazy
03-24-2012, 06:58 AM
i run 40lb power pro as my main (same dia as 10lb test) that way all the dive charts work for cranks, plus i can run the same rods for blue cats. I only run the coated on my casting rigs. im not too concerned with species/technique specific combos due to lack of funding lol

So multi purpose nice!!I think sometimes we get to tied up in species specific equipment.Remember when you where a kid and your fishin rod caught everything in the lake of river you fished.Species specific equipment is how tackle companies catch fisherman! :D

FC Still great Paint!!!!!

Breezer09
03-29-2012, 10:44 AM
Guys and Gals,
I use #4 true turns, red,for many yrs on my spinner rigs like Dave did above, and fished them for many yrs to take thousands of trout on them by putting a brown mealy worm straight up the hook and leave about 3/8 inch of mealy worm below arch of hook and straight up, then added a Uncle Josh's salmon egg , a duller white color, w pink dot, onto the point and till it is up against the mealy worm. Fished rapid areas with slow pulling on rig, and from shallow to deep holes with a 3/16 oz bullet sinker ahead of barrel swivel and 4lb test leader 3ft long. Many days I got 10 -20 trout each time out way into summer time, Always put a layer of salt covering the top of salmon eggs and put on lid and turn bottle upside down , and shake it good and every couple days shake it again and this always made my salmon eggs firm by doing this about 2-3 wks ahead of using them.

I saw my brother who lives 40 miles away at the family get together 3x a yr, and he is the absolutely the best trout fisherman around our whole area, only fishes for trout, nothing else, and averages between 600- 650 a yr,
He is an avid record keeper, and this yr because of the nicer weather he set his all time record, 867 TROUT, unbelievable and 102 over 18-26 inches and absolutely hands them out to over 40 people on his list, gutted or filleted, your choice, and makes a fish dinner for over 40 retirees, meeting, twice a month, he retired 4 yrs ago and held fish dinners at his
work place every week and made them on the furnace , sets them all wrapped in aluminum foil for up to 20 - 30 workers every wk for yrs, and most of the retirees are some of his work employees who say they can't get enought of his way of making them, absolutely the best,
He lives near Allentown and Bethlehem, Pa and fishes the local streams and told me he saw only (ONE) fisherman along the stream since the end of July till End of Dec. Where are trout fisherman, he said , the streams are loaded w browns and rainbow, and since the limit is 3 trout, the last couple months, makes his total unbelievable, and he fishes almost daily
and , of course, HE USES TRUE TURN HOOKS.

Dabluz
03-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Where I live, it's brook trout heaven. The limit is 20 brook trout per day, no size limit. They are easy to catch and most of the lakes have no other fish species in them other than trout. There is no stocking done in any of the lakes. When going out for meat....I use only a small hook baited with the head of a big nightcrawler on the end of 4 lb test line.

The brook trout aren't large. The average is about 10 to 16 inches. 18 inchers are quite common but not many above that.

I really like to use Gamakatsu Octopus hooks size 8. I can go for days without missing a trout with these hooks. Yes....every trout that bites....gets caught. I do let them bite and I even let them run with the bait before striking. Yes...the hook is most often very deep. When I don't want many trout to eat, I use a fly rod. Another lure that allows me to release trout is simply a Panther Martin with a single hook.

I have some Tru-Turn hooks and they are great hooks. Very fine wire and very sharp. Soft enough to straighten out when hooked on a snag too but I prefer a short shank hook.

fishincrazy
04-09-2012, 04:41 AM
Where I live, it's brook trout heaven. The limit is 20 brook trout per day, no size limit. They are easy to catch and most of the lakes have no other fish species in them other than trout. There is no stocking done in any of the lakes. When going out for meat....I use only a small hook baited with the head of a big nightcrawler on the end of 4 lb test line.

The brook trout aren't large. The average is about 10 to 16 inches. 18 inchers are quite common but not many above that.

I really like to use Gamakatsu Octopus hooks size 8. I can go for days without missing a trout with these hooks. Yes....every trout that bites....gets caught. I do let them bite and I even let them run with the bait before striking. Yes...the hook is most often very deep. When I don't want many trout to eat, I use a fly rod. Another lure that allows me to release trout is simply a Panther Martin with a single hook.

I have some Tru-Turn hooks and they are great hooks. Very fine wire and very sharp. Soft enough to straighten out when hooked on a snag too but I prefer a short shank hook.

I really like the Gami Octopus hooks too.I use em for everything up to size 10/0 for chunking to striped bass.Nice post DaBluz!

FC

jj7leaf
04-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Hey guys, new to the forum and lake erie in general, I was hoping to get some input on blades for harnesses.
I have looked at the multiple sources for SS blades and the color options is as extensive as our spoons and flies on Lake Ontario.

I am planning to make a trip for a weekend in Late june and was wondering what blades have been hot out there in the past couple of years?

May be 10 -12 colors that are a good choice to start with for trolling harnesses?

I noticed that there are options color options in both copper and gold on most blades, does that difference really matter alot?

For trolling do I want double willows or for trolling?

jj

Dabluz
04-26-2012, 06:15 PM
I'm not a bunch of help for you. I only like blades that turn at very slow speeds so I use Colorado blades. And to keep things simple, I prefer gold or silver blades and maybe a few coloured blades like orange, green, black, and white.