Powder coating Jigs,, I have a question

howler
03-17-2013, 10:58 AM
I have been powder coating my jigs for a few years now and there is no doubt in my mind it is the only way to "paint Jigs"... my question is,, I would like to do some creative coating and I think I need to use a air brush, can a guy use the powder thru an air brush and make it work ???

REW
03-17-2013, 11:52 AM
http://www.tjstackle.com/

howler
03-17-2013, 05:17 PM
there has to be a way to blow some powder thru a small opening to spray it onto the hot jig. I'm going to try and make something up and see if I can make something work,

walleyefreak
03-17-2013, 05:49 PM
They do make an airbrush for powder paint,although I don't believe you can get as fine a detail as you can with liquid paint and an airbrush. Check out TJ's tackle's website he has a lot of powder paint, accessories. They call it a powder paint, spray gun.

Uncle Paul
03-19-2013, 08:38 AM
Just tried this last week went to Harbor Freight and bought a couple of cheap guns and spent a day trying to get them to spray powder and nothing I would do could get them to work. Both were single action units and air went from almost nothing to 70 plus, I tried to shorten the nozzle and even got some micro drills to open it up a bit but could not get them to work. Next move is to order one from TJ.

Chode2235
03-19-2013, 02:12 PM
Just tried this last week went to Harbor Freight and bought a couple of cheap guns and spent a day trying to get them to spray powder and nothing I would do could get them to work. Both were single action units and air went from almost nothing to 70 plus, I tried to shorten the nozzle and even got some micro drills to open it up a bit but could not get them to work. Next move is to order one from TJ.

From what I have read, TJs is a hobby sandblaster. You want a sandblaster vs a liquid paint sprayer.

I think there is a lot on this technique over at Tackle Underground. Smalljaw, I think.

KurtG
10-29-2013, 10:43 AM
Earlier this year a bought a product call powder water or water powder from caswells. Basically you mix about half and half with powder and it can be sprayed from an air brush.

Must be allowed to air dry before curing but works very well. Multi colors are a guess as some colors blend during the cure process and others do not. I have created some really interesting combinations both desirable and undesirable. I even have one that I did not write down my steps that is the best crawfish imitation I have ever seen. U:banghead:nfortunately do not know what I did. :banghead:

fishincrazy
10-29-2013, 12:56 PM
Earlier this year a bought a product call powder water or water powder from caswells. Basically you mix about half and half with powder and it can be sprayed from an air brush.

Must be allowed to air dry before curing but works very well. Multi colors are a guess as some colors blend during the cure process and others do not. I have created some really interesting combinations both desirable and undesirable. I even have one that I did not write down my steps that is the best crawfish imitation I have ever seen. U:banghead:nfortunately do not know what I did. :banghead:

Wow this is really cool can you post some of your work I would love to see it!

FC :rockit::rockit:

KurtG
10-29-2013, 11:08 PM
Walleye bite is maybe heating up. Been almost a year since we approached a limit. November 11 th 2012 my buddy and I caught 15, next day 3 and our best day since was 4. Going shortly so got my fingers crossed. Starting to rain temps are dropping so bite should be starting soon.

Anyhow, my digital camera is borrowed, lost, stolen, misplaced or something and a replacement is forthcoming as will be pictures.

basscatcher89
11-13-2013, 12:36 PM
Gotta remember too with using an airbrush to do powder paint is your cooling off the jig when your blowing the powder. So you loose your heat you wont get as good of a stick from the powder for curing.