Any Truth About Crestliner Boats

Gary Korsgaden
07-27-2014, 11:25 AM
An individual who formerly worked at Crestliner told me major changes on the horizon for their line of boats.

queenswake
07-27-2014, 01:46 PM
I have wondered how many boats Crestliner sells. I don't see many of the new ones on the lakes and roads. At least in the Twin Cities, most of Crestliner dealers also carry Lund, which you better believe eats into Crestliner sales. Since Crestliner prices are just about as high as Lund, why wouldn't you just spend a couple extra thousand for that Lund? I think the best think Brunswick could do is try to make Crestliner a value brand. A stronger competitor with Alumacraft. I like Crestliner's layouts on many of their boats, but again, with the prices the way they are, I can see why many just choose to walk over to the other side of the showroom and get the Lund.

Maybe they can even do something as bold as allowing other engine brands on the Crestliner? One of the things that helps Alumacraft's sales is that you can get the 140 Suzuki, which saves a bunch of money over a 150 from another brand, and you don't lose much performance.

I wasn't following the boating industry until recently, so am not familiar with Lund/Crestliner in the pre-Brunswich days, but up until about the recession, it seems like there were more Crestliners sold. At least that's wht I think after seeing so many late 90s and early 2000s Crestliners on the road. I seem tons of them in MN and can spot them from far away just based on the colors. I have seen that many of them. But I see very few of the newer ones.

T Mac
07-27-2014, 03:09 PM
Maybe they can even do something as bold as allowing other engine brands on the Crestliner? One of the things that helps Alumacraft's sales is that you can get the 140 Suzuki, which saves a bunch of money over a 150 from another brand, and you don't lose much performance.

Suzuki dealers are comparatively very scarce in much of North America and I don't know if they have a working relationship with Brunswick or not. Maybe that has possibility... I don't know?
But I am familiar with the bigger players...BRP and Yamaha. My dealership was a large, award winning Yamaha Dealer when the split came about.
It was the decision of BRP and Yamaha to refuse to sell outboards directly Brunswick Boat companies. What a scramble that was,\.

They still refuse. :huh:

law57
07-27-2014, 06:31 PM
I like Crestliner - welded hull. My last boat was a Crestliner. I had it for 20 years with no leaks. I would have bought another one but I could not get the style I wanted.

My old boat was a tiller with no 'casting platform'. Casting platform? We all know that's just to add strength to the bow. It's okay for running your trolling motor - but nobody wants to ride there in a chop.

I wanted a Lund Alaskan to eliminate the 'casting platform'. Had Crestliner made such a boat, I would have bought it. As for motor - I have a Yamaha. If my dealer has a problem with that, I'll find a different dealer.

Get what you want - boats are expensive enough. If you start trading, they get a whole lot more expensive.

JiMinneye
07-27-2014, 07:15 PM
I presently have a 1987 Crestliner Viking V170 Tiller that I bought new from Minnesota Marine back in the day. At that time you had so many color combinations that you could choose from and you could pick from a bunch of different interior designs etc. You could get whatever motor the dealership sold. At the time I bought my boat the Lund Pro V was only offered to a few guides and promoters. The best an average guy on the street could get for a tiller was the Renegade/Predator hull. The Pro V wasn't available to the general public until 1988. The Crestliners at that time were finished off so nicely that I couldn't tell you how many people asked me if my boat was fiberglass. I have replaced the floor in my boat and sanded it down and had it repainted. It has been a very reliable boat and served me well. I have fished Winnie, Leech and Mille Lacs in less than favorable conditions and I never doubted that this boat would hold up and it still is. I just think that Crestliner isn't the same as they use to be. They use to be innovative but I just don't think they are the same after being bought by Brunswick.I think Crestliner lost its identity when they were purchased by Brunswick and moved their plant to the Lund factory in New York Mills. Kind a like Lunds illegitimate cousin. It seems to me that Alumacraft and Lund have made enormous strides and Crestliner has just faded away.
Maybe I'm wrong but it sure seems that way to me.

Jim

Dave in Walker
07-27-2014, 08:14 PM
I agree Jim, I bought 2 crestliners from Minnesota Marine back in the day, one from their lake street store, which burned down, I was there I am a ret Mpls FF and a jon boat from there store up on Highway 10? The boat you have at a glance looks like fiberglass, I sometimes wonder if that hull was made by some other company? They are not the same boat anymore. Good luck in your search

queenswake
07-27-2014, 08:53 PM
I think it's kind of like Smokercraft and Sylvan. At some point they decided it was dumb having two very similar aluminum boat lines in the same company. So they made Sylvan the fiberglass line and kept Smokercraft as aluminum.

Chevrolet and Buick make it work by targeting different customers and different driving experiences. Same with Toyota and Lexus, etc. If you are going to have two very similar lines, it's not going to work. You have to have two very distinct identities. And I just don't see the difference between Crestliner and Lund. Hull type alone is not enough of a differentiator in my eyes. Not enough people are so in love with welded over riveted that this is enough reason to buy a Crestliner. Just how no one is so in love with riveted that they buy a Lund or Alumacraft for that reason alone.

I do like some of the unique things in the new Sport Fish and Super Hawk that are different than the Tyee and Crossover. But overall they are minor. And again, when the Lund is sitting in the same dealership for a just a bit more, most guys will go with the Lund for resale value alone.

It will be interesting to see what these rumored major changes are. Heck, maybe they should get back into pontoons? Why did they ever get out? More and more guys are using them for fishing and there is no clear market leader of fishing pontoons. As baby boomers get older, could be a smart direction to go in. Be the Lund of fishing pontoons. Not a pontoon company that makes cruising pontoons first and changes the couches out with fishing seats to make it a fishing pontoon. Listen to fisherman and make one we could all want to own as a second rig.

kliph
07-27-2014, 10:19 PM
I have wondered how many boats Crestliner sells. I don't see many of the new ones on the lakes and roads. At least in the Twin Cities, most of Crestliner dealers also carry Lund, which you better believe eats into Crestliner sales. Since Crestliner prices are just about as high as Lund, why wouldn't you just spend a couple extra thousand for that Lund? I think the best think Brunswick could do is try to make Crestliner a value brand. A stronger competitor with Alumacraft. I like Crestliner's layouts on many of their boats, but again, with the prices the way they are, I can see why many just choose to walk over to the other side of the showroom and get the Lund.

I wasn't following the boating industry until recently, so am not familiar with Lund/Crestliner in the pre-Brunswich days, but up until about the recession, it seems like there were more Crestliners sold. At least that's wht I think after seeing so many late 90s and early 2000s Crestliners on the road. I seem tons of them in MN and can spot them from far away just based on the colors. I have seen that many of them. But I see very few of the newer ones.

Unless you are totally unaware of the differences between
Lund and Crestliner, why would you choose a Lund?
Make Lund the "value' boat. OMG!

ptm
07-27-2014, 10:24 PM
You see a lot of them in NE Montana as they are sold in Havre and Glasgow. The fact you see them from the early years to recent models has to say something about their quality. These guys up here are not easy on boats, I've seen some real serious battle scars on some of them. I looked at some newer Raptors and really like the layout. Should be interesting to see the big change.

Jakerides
07-28-2014, 09:44 AM
I'm on my third Crestliner (1850 Superhawk) and have been more then pleased with each boat. Started with a 17' Fish Hawk many years ago then a 619 Ranger, then a 1850 Reihata Ranger. Then because our lake level dropped sold Ranger and purchased a pontoon and 1600 Super Hawk for fishing. Decided 16' was to small sold it to my son in law and went to the 1850 Super Hawk. Great boat, yes it doesn't ride quite like a Ranger but fits our needs better. Single axel pulls very nice on highway, pull it up on the rocks for shore lunch and the wife feels safer with the deeper interior. 150 Merkury 4st gets it up to 50 mph and lots of room and despite what you may hear a dry ride up to 4 footers on LOW and Rainy Lake. Can I go as fast in rough water as a Ranger? No, but I don't have to go that much slower plus I'm 69 now and have finally out grown the need for speed. When I purchased the 1850 there was over $5,000.00 difference in price from a Lund and I do like the welded verus revits. I see a lot of Crestliners in Wisconsin.

CKM
07-28-2014, 10:12 AM
Pile of Crestliners in ND. I've owned both crestliner tournament series and lund pro-v. I'd take a TS202 over a Pro-V of the same age. I like the welded hull better and the ride is better as far as I'm concerned. There are a couple things I like better in the Pro-V but overall I like the crestliner better.

Waxy
07-28-2014, 11:52 AM
Crestliner sells a ton of boats in the 16-18.5' range up here in western Canada and there's a few of the bigger Raptors on the walleye tournament circuit too. My brother in law recently bought a new 1650 FishHawk and I was very impressed with it when we went out for a test drive and some fishing.

I think Crestliner makes a very good boat, and they're hard to beat when it comes to overall value. They also have a lot of layouts and options that appeal to recreational anglers and family boaters, which I'm pretty sure is why they're so popular in that size range around here.

I can't think of a dealer anywhere around here that carries both Crestliner and Lund under the same roof, but I don't really think that's a big factor. There are good dealers around for both, and I think it comes down to the boats themselves and pricing.

Waxy

1shooter
07-28-2014, 12:05 PM
I'm on my 2nd crestliner. 1st one was a 02 1850 sportfish and last year I bought a 13 1850 sportfish.

There was nothing wrong with the 02 but I really wanted a 4 stroke.

I looked at buying a Lund but after riding in my buddies 1800 fisherman my decision was made. The crestliner rode 10x smoother in the waves and I liked the layout better.

CrestSuperHawk
07-28-2014, 12:13 PM
I fish Winnebago in WI and it gets plenty rough out there. When I made my decision to go with a Crestliner it was because of the welded hull. I know of several Lund owners that have leaky rivets (boats primarily used on Bago') and don't know of any Crestliner owners that cracked a weld so it made my decision pretty easy. I also like the layout, price and finish of the Crestliner versus the Lund Impact. If I buy another boat it will be a welded aluminum boat or a glass boat - no rivets for me. I sure hope that Brunswick doesn't eliminate or combine the brands.

1shooter
07-28-2014, 01:30 PM
I've been fishing the same area of LOTW's for 12 years and in the beginning I rarely saw a Crestliner but now they are pretty common sight.

houndog
07-28-2014, 05:53 PM
I've fished Gull Rock off and on for many years. A few years ago I began seeing more Crestliner's and fewer of the competition. They are seaworthy, have a great following and I hope will be around for a long time!

When everyone has the same brand of everything in life, life will be boring won't it!

Cutter Bob
07-28-2014, 08:08 PM
I'm still learning, but very happy with my new to me 2013 Raptor 2050 . And I drive buy the " big LUND spot " every time to go to my closest lake for walleyes. seen em , been in em, not impressed with them.
They also got a Ford dealer there... with Alumacraft boats now. Might as well be a Dodge shop with Duckworths...not 4 me...
Out here , in the spring we got lots of wood floating, are lakes will fluctuate 20 feet at times, or more...Also Fort Peck has 55 miles of gravel just to get to the water on are end with a boat ramp.. Seen some sorry looking fiberglass boats after a few years...And a good deal of leaky rivets on other brands
I started with a used 91 tracker deep v 16 with a merc 60 on it. Great boat. Built good , side counsel sucked, so like a fool, I ordered a new off the lot 01 Tracker 18 Targa w/ 90 four stroke merc. fair to below grade of a boat. never had much of a problem with the boat though. the motor took a s %*! in 04 not hardly what 1 would think imo. Had the ""Lund"" shop put a new motor on it( 05 Merc 115 four stroke) used it till this spring. Had to patch the bottom from whacking a log in rough water , a dime size hole, and a few small fracture cracks over the years. But it never saw a Tracker Dealer for any warranty work or any other place but the 1 time. The boat had some great features and had a good lay out but, poorly built. Never again.
So after a few years of kicking tires, going to boat shows, fish with others, and seeing what was on the water, mostly around here, there's only 2 choises ........ Lund..... with its rivets and $ 10,000 dollar sticker or Crestliner .... and its solid welds, smoother ride and only a $ 2000 dollar sticker....
After the poor service and snobby attitude from the " Lund " people, really not much of a choice. But my closest Crestliner dealer wanted more than I really wanted to spend on a hold over 13 raptor 1850 w/ a 200 merc Verado and all the needed goodies. So after the go ahead from the wife I found a great deal on a used Crestliner from a Team Pro. Its as solid as the rest that I climbed in and on. Rides like a Tank, and flies on the water with the 300 Verado. Bought a new 9.9 kicker for it , had a trip to MN this spring with the wife and still saved a fair boat load of cash on the deal. And after the grandson left the key and every button and switch on. 1 pump burned out and my closest Crestliner dealer's mechanic was in and out of my boat with a new 1 so fast, that you couldn't turn your head. no charge............... beat that.....
Been to fort Peck twice now and several trips to CF and below, the thing kicks it so far. Got to up grade the charger for the back batteries soon but all in all very happy... So if you want to check it out. Keep a look out for the red Mad Fish Crusty.

FryDog62
07-29-2014, 08:07 AM
"Since Crestliner prices are just about as high as Lund, why wouldn't you just spend a couple extra thousand for that Lund?"

Best way to market and sell more Lunds IMO, and it works. Overall Brunswick sales are high even with one brand benefitting at the expense of another..

jimmythegreek
07-29-2014, 08:32 AM
not all Lundsa are equal, their lines have different features that appeal to different people. I see alot of Impacts by me, my buddy bought a new 2014 1775, AFTER he rode in my 1850 sportfish and loved the size and power of a full windshield w a bigger engine. The neares dealer is 125 miles away, the Lund dealer is 2 miles away, he got a Lund. Personally, for what he paid I woulda bought something else, dont like the gunwales on it at all and the fit and finish is average, nothing to brag about. My crestliner rides like a tank and is dry, does 45mph+ and switches to a family boat in seconds, they all wanna sit in the convertible bow. Couldnt touch anything equal to this for the money, and welded hulls make me feel much safer, every riveted boat Ive owned leaked at some point, lunds included. They are nice boats and I would buy one, but they are not the "mercedes" any longer

CPDFisherman
07-29-2014, 08:46 AM
Since Crestliner prices are just about as high as Lund, why wouldn't you just spend a couple extra thousand for that Lund?

I can think of many reasons not to spend Thousands extra for a lund... They start with the rotting transoms and end with the deteriorating customer service. Paying thousands more for an average product is simply foolish.

ptm
07-29-2014, 08:54 AM
I think the Pro V is where Lund is just a little ahead of the aluminum competition, they are more expensive and some people have a line in the sand for money, glass guys would never understand anyone wanting a "tin boat", I know it is a rough riding, overpriced, leaky riveted piece of crap, all vernacular I've heard from my Crestliner amigos up here. But it's just a better boat.:peepwall: