Trolling reels

DRJ
01-16-2007, 07:47 AM
Has anyone used a Daiwa SeaLine SG17LCA with Fireline instead of the SG27LCA size to troll for walleyes? Comments? Advantages or not?
Thanks in advance

2 free
01-16-2007, 08:33 AM
I have 2 I will give you if that is any sign.

Uncle Paul
01-16-2007, 09:21 AM
Have used them and the 27s with power pro for a couple of years with no problem,same as the 27 except for the smaller frame and gear ratio.I also use them pulling dipsey's in the fall for the four year old kings and if they hold up to them you will have no problem with an eye.(If the other guy is giving them to you grab them quick before the rest of the guys get them)Paul

Homer
01-16-2007, 09:58 AM
I used one last year and liked it so well I bought a second. It handled inlines, jets, bouncers, min-dipsies etc. with no problem. I haven't tried them with the full size dipsies.

If "2 free" has a pair he wants to get rid of, he should head over to the Swap Board or eBay. Used versions of this reel typically sell for almost as much as the new ones.

Burr
01-16-2007, 10:04 AM
I like the 17 size reel alot for walleye. I think if I were to fish salmon more I may want the added size and capcity of the 27 series.

If someone is offerring to give them away, I'll take them in a heartbeat. It is the 'preferred' size for my walleye fishing.

drj
01-16-2007, 10:16 AM
My email is djablon754@msn.com. send me an email about the free reels. I'm sure there should be a cost in there someplace
Thanks

bob oh
01-16-2007, 01:03 PM
I'll take them.

rod bender bob

bob oh
01-16-2007, 01:05 PM
I use them all the time on big boards and love them on a 7' rod. I would not use them for big dipsies.

rod bender bob

karpbuster
01-16-2007, 04:15 PM
Excellent reel! I will take them too. LOL

I have 4 for trolling - 27's I believe.

karpbuster

2 FREE
01-16-2007, 04:34 PM
I sent an e-mail to the original poster he could have if he does not get back to me I will give to the next one on the list who requested. I am not sure if they are the same as these have no A JUST Daiwa accudepth 17LC.

Pond scum
01-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Dude, the original poster was asking about Sealines, not Accudepths. Two complete different reels. The Sealines are great, but the Accudepths are junk.

2 FREE
01-16-2007, 05:04 PM
That is exactly why I went and looked at them as I was shocked as to the good luck everyone was having, these were new used once and were set in the corner. Junk is not the word...
I am sorry for not paying attention to what I had so now who wants them. I am going to rob the handles I guess and put on my 27s
I did way too many drugs in my life.

will take them
01-16-2007, 05:14 PM
Danlk1@msn.com

wink.anita
01-16-2007, 06:17 PM
> That is exactly why I went and looked at them as I was
>shocked as to the good luck everyone was having, these were
>new used once and were set in the corner. Junk is not the
>word...
>I am sorry for not paying attention to what I had so now who
>wants them. I am going to rob the handles I guess and put on
>my 27s
>I did way too many drugs in my life.

I will take them

karpbuster
01-16-2007, 06:56 PM
I have one of those (ACCUDEPTH) and I don't use it much...so much pulling line out of the reel I can take. So I will let someone else have them.

But once I messed around with it I got it working OK. I think you could sell them on the swap board or ebay.

karpbuster

drj
01-17-2007, 07:03 AM
Back to the original question: Sealine 17 or 27.
Thanks

Burr
01-17-2007, 09:32 AM
I'll still take the AD 17 size. I have a fix for the drag backing off, I've been able to adjust the reel to get the spool release to work properly when I've had issues with it on reels, the only thing I haven't cured completely is when the line gets behind the spool from time to time, but just being careful has greatly helped. Still want em.

clarkend not logged
01-17-2007, 10:02 AM
Anyone every have problems with their Sealines......I picked up a couple last summer and one is unusable already. Something is buggered. The spool won't latch...always on freespool. I can let line out fine, but when I turn the handle to stop the spool it doesn't click "into gear".

Anyone?

JC

bob oh
01-17-2007, 10:57 AM
OK drj, I'll take a stab. From my limited viewpoint (I don't use in-line boards) the 17s work great for me when pulling jet divers or cranks on flatlines or off of big boards. I would NOT use them for big dipsies. So, I guess I woould say the 27s are a little more versitile, could be used for big boards, flatlines, in-line boards, bouncers, big and small dipsies. 17s, in my opinion, could be used for big boards, small dipsies, flatlines, bouncers, but I would not use them for big dipsies and I don't know about using them for in-lines.
I have both and like both. I also have some old 47s, the cheaper kind that WalMart use to sell and they have been running big dipsies for 7 years without a hitch, so I like them too :-)

rod bender bob

Burr
01-17-2007, 11:32 AM
First thing I suggest is contact Diawa. They have been good to work with for me, and you may just receive a replacement.

Second, a reel repair shop should be able to fix permanently.

Things like this seem to be much more frequent on the AD line. I've taken apart and had some success myself, but no experience with the SG's. The SG's have been pretty trouble free, at least mine have been.

The only thing I do to the SG's is modify the drag adjustment so it doesn't change settings without knowing it. I do that on all the Diawas, AD or SG.

karpbuster
01-17-2007, 11:38 AM
I have 30# test line on them and went with the 27 for more line capacity. I fish for Stripers once in a while. I think they are both excellent. The difference in cost is small.

karpbuster

mcdee
01-17-2007, 12:38 PM
How do you modify the drag? I'll be useing a AD 27 for 2007. So any tips would be great!

Burr
01-17-2007, 02:47 PM
#6 O-ring, behind star wheel, on the shaft will keep the star wheel from turning inadvertantly.

mcdee
01-17-2007, 03:35 PM
Thanks Burr!:thanks2:

K Gonefishin
01-17-2007, 05:24 PM
Ohh man really a #6 will fix that huh..that was really the only gripe I had about the AD even though I am replacing them with LCA's (I'm half done) I still wanted to put some braid on 4 of them for big boards with jets. Good looking out though going to have to try that. BTW They look just like the LCA's now but grey and have an aluminum spool but same old bushings. saw them in cabelas 2007 fishing book.

Burr
01-17-2007, 06:58 PM
I do that to the SG's too. Only issue has been if the O-ring is too big, smaller bettererererer.

If O-ring too big, not enough adjustment to back off star wheel, drag too tight.

Star wheel doesn't spin by itself anymore, ever.

Ristorapper
01-17-2007, 09:43 PM
Have you seen this fix Burr??????

http://www.questoutdoors.net/gear/articles/daiwa_repair/

Ristorapper
01-17-2007, 09:51 PM
Two years ago I switched to the Sealine 17's made by Daiwa for Scheels. I really prefer them for long line trolling for walleyes because they seem to lighten the trolling combo and add a little more balance to the system. Probably not a big deal if you jam the combos in rod holders all day but if you like to hold a rod (or pump 'em) on occasion the weight and balance make a difference.

I still have my Sealine Daiwa 27's and will use them in tandem with the 17's. Nice thing about the 17's too is using less line to fill them up and you need to do that to make them accurate in the amount of line out when trolling. I'll run 10/4 fireline on my 17's and 14/6 fireline or 30/8 powerpro in the 27's depending on what water I'm fishing.

If you get into the bigger fish (salmanoids/stripers) the larger reel may be a better option. More line capacity for the larger diameter lines.

Atlanta Dave
01-18-2007, 08:48 AM
Iff your having to mess with the Diawas so much why dont you get Takotas and be done with the problems. Much better drag system

Atlanta Dave

K Gonefishin
01-18-2007, 09:04 AM
One of my buddies had a Takota bust on him right out of the box a couple trips into the season, level wind didn't work the line just stacked up. I do like the takota's my buddy runs his dipsey's off them and what a joy for steelie fishing but they are allot of money.

I personally have yet to have a Diawa need repair I have 15 or 16 I believe all flawless even the AD's they just aren't that tough

Burr
01-18-2007, 11:16 AM
No I hadn't. Wish I would have before I removed that screw though... It was a pain, just like it says. Never would have guessed I could just loosen it. That would have saved me lot's of headaches....