What size fish do you keep to eat?

cyber16
06-01-2015, 05:17 PM
There is another thread that shows some nice sized eyes and the shear numbers, and it gets me thinking

We normally purchase MN conservation license only because my wife & I rather only eat fresh fish, rarely would we freeze them.
Therefore the half limits or no limits on some is fine.
Sure we are removing some $'s from the dnr coffers by doing so

But when I see huge breeding fish of any sort being taken in them numbers I find it disappointing/especially if the charter/guide captain's livelihood is dependent on then.

Just shows we have much more to worry about than netting alone if ONE boat can do this much damage in one day on our fisheries.

Phil T
06-01-2015, 09:56 PM
If we are talking walleye, any fish between 4 and10 pounds is useless to me. Over three # is poor eating, and I won't mount any walleye under 10 #.
Don't concern yourself too much about larger walleye being taken. They lay a lot of eggs, but a very low % of those eggs are fertile. And they prey upon "eater" sized walleye (You don't think they look for stripes so they can separate perch from small walleye do you?).

Clairebear
06-02-2015, 04:48 AM
I only keep 18 to 22 inch fish.

Vergas
06-02-2015, 05:59 AM
I save for eating 14 - 18" walleyes. Most of my fishing partners are right in the same range.

Sportdog
06-02-2015, 06:03 AM
When in Canada, 16-18 inch walleyes. Local waters here at home, every walleye I catch that is legal. I catch more walleyes in Canada in one day than I do in two years where I live!
I went on a Lake Erie charter last Saturday and we kept fish from 16-27 1/2 inches. To quote our captain, "we take what the fish gods give us".
It's all about the fishery......

pjshorthorn
06-02-2015, 06:06 AM
16-18" unless the regs do not allow up to 18". Don't keep anything over the slot regardless of the reg allowances.

PjShorthorn :rock-on:

ffishman
06-02-2015, 06:07 AM
I save for eating 14 - 18" walleyes. Most of my fishing partners are right in the same range.

Times 2

bigwalleye1
06-02-2015, 06:13 AM
16-18" unless the regs do not allow up to 18". Don't keep anything over the slot regardless of the reg allowances.

PjShorthorn :rock-on:

Same here.

port1042
06-02-2015, 06:32 AM
In Canada, Walleyes 14"-16" are eaten on site. 16"-18" come home with me. Everything over 18" stays in the lake.
At home, all Walleyes are returned to the water. We simply can't afford to lose anything until numbers improve.

Lake Wisconsin
06-02-2015, 06:51 AM
14-20" for me. If even close to 20, usually go back. if you are fishing in my boat or off of my dock, my rules apply. Otherwise I don't get too much into a huffy over it. Slowly changing the mindset of some of my neighbors. He would keep all the fish over 20", and in our lake, very seldom do you see one over 25". I gave him a tip 2 weeks back and he took 3 fish between 22-24". I very calmly talked to him about it afterwards and mentioned I too caught fish in that caliber in the same area, but released them. He put his head down. This past week he was releasing them. Hopefully because he sees the big picture - in our lake, those are the breeders. I also have neighbors that keep every fish, even the 12". I will talk to them that more than likely that is a 14-16" fish next year, and a lot more meat. So far, I have not broke through to those guys. I don't get upset, but try to educate.

Cwuest34
06-02-2015, 07:18 AM
Depends on the year. Typically anything over 20 goes back some cases even 19s. Generally I consider the good eaters in that 16 range. Don't like keeping anything smaller

Steven Pederson
06-02-2015, 07:32 AM
I only keep 15-16 inches. Makes the day more challenging. I only keep fish in Canada up at the cabin. In MN 100% get returned.

Sportdog
06-02-2015, 07:44 AM
I only keep 15-16 inches. Makes the day more challenging. I only keep fish in Canada up at the cabin. In MN 100% get returned.

I'm curious why you fish C&R for walleyes 100% in MN. I know that for myself if I want to fish C&R I'm targeting harder fighting fish than walleyes. Is it the challenge of catching them because for me they are tougher to figure out than most fish? When I'm in Canada we fish eyes for the table and fish pike and smallies for fun C&R.

cyber16
06-02-2015, 07:49 AM
I also enjoy catching large fish, if its picture worthy a camera is always at the ready and back she goes.
The part of that thread that got me most thinking was the statement "We caught a lot of fish all day. The 24 were the biggest"

It seems some nice eaters may possibly have been released in efforts to maximize the take.

I am not suggesting culling took place, on his trip.
I have seen that on waters myself and have known to go ballistic when I see the fish floating gasping towards its death for nothing.

Personally if I can keep the 15"-16" I find them perfect eaters and will only take enough for one meal and maybe a few cold leftovers the next day ;)

eriksat1
06-02-2015, 07:53 AM
If I'm looking for a meal I have no problem keeping fish over 20", 16" is borderline throw back cigar. If the fillets are thick I slice them to get what ever thickness fillet I'm after, When sliced to thinner fillets I find no difference in taste.

MarkG
06-02-2015, 08:07 AM
Where I fish, the Walleye/Sauger keeper slot is between 15-20" ,which seems mostly ideal for keep to eat,although the Saugers at the upper end of this slot don't seem to be as tasty,so I release any Saugers over about 17".

tv4fish
06-02-2015, 09:02 AM
In Canada, Walleyes 14"-16" are eaten on site. 16"-18" come home with me.
Port - We do similarly. Lac Seul's protected slot limit is 18"-21", so we try to keep our eaters as close (as in-under) to the 18" size.

Richard B
06-02-2015, 10:26 AM
If I want a walleye dinner I will keep up to 26 inch fish. I fish Erie and there are days that it is really tough to get anything smaller. I have fished around 15 times so far this year and the smallest walleye I have caught was 22 1/2 inches.

AllenW
06-02-2015, 10:35 AM
If I'm looking for a meal I have no problem keeping fish over 20", 16" is borderline throw back cigar. If the fillets are thick I slice them to get what ever thickness fillet I'm after, When sliced to thinner fillets I find no difference in taste.

x2

While I don't keep a lot of fish anyway, I will not keep any fish full of spawn, after that it's whatever the slot is or if no slot, whatever I catch that works for me with in any limit.

Al

FuzzzyIL
06-02-2015, 11:09 AM
There is another thread that shows some nice sized eyes and the shear numbers, and it gets me thinking

We normally purchase MN conservation license only because my wife & I rather only eat fresh fish, rarely would we freeze them.
Therefore the half limits or no limits on some is fine.
Sure we are removing some $'s from the dnr coffers by doing so

But when I see huge breeding fish of any sort being taken in them numbers I find it disappointing/especially if the charter/guide captain's livelihood is dependent on then.

Just shows we have much more to worry about than netting alone if ONE boat can do this much damage in one day on our fisheries.

Depends where we are fishing: If an Ontario fly-in we keep 2 15 - 16 inches for supper. Maybe a smaller but legal pike the next day. We don't eat fish every day. Prolly two or 3 meals of fish. All other fish released

If we are fishing in ND, SD, MN, WI or IL everything(all species) we catch is released.

If we are fishing a certain Great Lake between Ohio and Ontario with MI to the East, well then we are there to harvest for the freezer. We only fish the post spawn fish as well. It's been a few years since we made that trip so not up on the year classes.

We have literally been told by DNR while cleaning a limit of big fish to go back out and load up on more. We didn't, but they wanted the big fish out - all they do is eat eat eat. But this was maybe 12 years ago?

A 9 pounder eats just as good as any other size - it's all a matter of mind set.

Steven Pederson
06-02-2015, 11:53 AM
I'm curious why you fish C&R for walleyes 100% in MN. I know that for myself if I want to fish C&R I'm targeting harder fighting fish than walleyes. Is it the challenge of catching them because for me they are tougher to figure out than most fish? When I'm in Canada we fish eyes for the table and fish pike and smallies for fun C&R.

in MN when i do fish i'm usually just playing with the kids, looking for sunny's or bass. On the odd occasion i'm targeting Walleyes i rarely catch any so i figure i should let them go back.

Suzuki
06-02-2015, 12:11 PM
Depends on the fishery and whether or not I want to eat fresh fish. You cant expect the same answer between an Erie fisherman and an inland Minnesota lakes fisherman.

freespoolin
06-02-2015, 02:17 PM
My preference is 16" walleye, I will keep up to 18". My fishing buddies will keep 16"-22". I find with fish over 18" that the fillets are too thick and don't cook as easily as the smaller fish.
Camp owner in Red Lake will not accept any fish over 15" for his needs.

bobk
06-02-2015, 03:50 PM
Depends on the fishery and whether or not I want to eat fresh fish. You cant expect the same answer between an Erie fisherman and an inland Minnesota lakes fisherman.

Exactly, there is no comparison between Erie and other lakes to the north. To try and insult the "other" post is nothing short of dumb. Those guys paid to go on a charter and they wanted to bring home some nice fish. Nothing at all wrong with what they did and perfectly within the law. Some people on here should do some research on Lake Erie before spouting off.
It's no wonder people from Erie don't post here like they did years ago. Always someone wanting to sling mud at them for keeping a big fish. They eat very well and there are millions of 8-10# eyes from the great hatch several years ago.

gonfishn95
06-02-2015, 04:02 PM
If Salmon fishing I will pretty much keep a limit, as I enjoy eating...
If I decide I want walleye, I keep any size that is legal, as I know how to clean and cook them...
And sometimes that 23" might be the only bite...
Northerns are OK as well cleaning them is easy no bones.
Sturgeon I like them as well, smoked or deep fried, boneless fish...
I also like bullheads out of a clear lake..
Catfish as well..
Blue gills perch and crappies are my favorite...

Musky is OK mostly white meat but bonier so I don't keep them anymore..besides people get pissy when you do tell them you are keeping for lunch.

I have a friend who takes the carp and suckers and likes to deep fry them, I draw the line there.:frypan:

cyber16
06-02-2015, 04:05 PM
Point is ONE BOAT/ONE DAY can do that much damage.
How many boats on the body of water at any given time?
How many tons can a fishier support?
A few MN lakes had their day as well, I recall seeing all them old-time photos of years ago of the endless supply...

gonfishn95 sucker fishing by hand walking the streams reaching under the banks can be of great fun ;)

Catch'nRelease
06-02-2015, 08:34 PM
As my user name implies I prefer to release most fish I catch, regardless of species. The only exceptions would be:
a) walleyes under 20" and/or pike under 24" or so, to be eaten fresh that day or the next day, and
b) fish that in all probability would not survive if released (assuming legal to keep).

brentfrank
06-02-2015, 09:53 PM
For eating I keep mostly 15 to 18 inch fish. I just don't see any reason to keep them bigger. I will keep deep hooked fish if I don't feel that they will survive.

Fenwick
06-03-2015, 09:01 AM
Every fish I catch. Well not every one but a daily bag limit. Salmon. I won't keep more then one limit. One for us and the rest for the neighbors. In the future I'll trade for smoked sausage.

jet man
06-03-2015, 09:19 AM
Whatever size I feel like within the regulations for the state and lake I am fishing.

Ned
06-03-2015, 09:36 AM
For eating I keep mostly 15 to 18 inch fish. I just don't see any reason to keep them bigger. I will keep deep hooked fish if I don't feel that they will survive.

Same page here. Anything over 20" goes back for sure. 10#+ fish get a replica made and the fish released.

FuzzzyIL
06-03-2015, 11:03 AM
A few MN lakes had their day as well, I recall seeing all them old-time photos of years ago of the endless supply...

gonfishn95 sucker fishing by hand walking the streams reaching under the banks can be of great fun ;)

The one charter did more help than damage cyber. All those big girls do is EAT EAT EAT. Removing them allows younger year classes a chance to compete and grow. Erie fish grow fast live hard and die young.

Do yourself a favor and take a trip out there. See how the 100's of boats on top of the reefs and schools. There are over 1200 charter captains out there(maybe more). We once trolled on the same school of walleyes the entire day. Then report back how many 16 to 18 inchers you caught. Only then you will undertand.

Xplorer
06-03-2015, 11:12 AM
The lakes that I mainly fish soft water (Rainy and Namakan on the MN/ONT border) have a protected slot of 17-28, so its 14-16.75 to eat there.
Smaller local lakes and the St Louis river near home is 15-18 if I keep any.

I really need to get over to Erie for a trip sometime, the thought of possibly catching fish of those sizes in those numbers is just insane to me.

FuzzzyIL
06-03-2015, 11:18 AM
The lakes that I mainly fish soft water (Rainy and Namakan on the MN/ONT border) have a protected slot of 17-28, so its 14-16.75 to eat there.
Smaller local lakes and the St Louis river near home is 15-18 if I keep any.

I really need to get over to Erie for a trip sometime, the thought of possibly catching fish of those sizes in those numbers is just insane to me.

xplorer

take a trip to Erie - it takes several trips before it all sinks in - how many fish are in there, how big they are and how easy to catch

Xplorer
06-03-2015, 01:05 PM
I'm going to take a long look at trying to put together a 9 day trip and hit both Erie for walleye and Kewaunee/Algoma kings.
I run a 1850 Tyee/175 V-rod up here on Superior for lakers/salmon, I would think that should suffice (using good judgement) on Erie also for eye's.
Just checked and its 14 hours to Port Clinton, 8 back to Algoma and 6 back home. Very doable for a couple guys, and leaves 7 days to fish between the two places.
Now I gotta figure out who I can stand being in a truck with, for 14 hours straight : )

tv4fish
06-03-2015, 01:14 PM
Fuzzy: I just had to do a little research on Erie - very surprised about the 20 year old thing:
(Yes, I know this article is a few years old)

http://www.cleveland.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2012/08/lake_erie_has_plenty_of_elderl.html

cyber16
06-03-2015, 01:54 PM
For those that suggest they taste the same big or small that may or may not be true, even the placebo effect simply knowing some facts can play into this taste thing making it subjective.
I do know the larger/older they are the more contaminates you will ingest as this is an cumulative process and the concentrations can drastically increase in some bodies of water when consuming 20"+ mainly due to the years of exposure.
Of course the body of water & the types of pollutants within are the key element.

Therefore them large erie & other lake walleyes are eating better than those that eat the larger fish lol

eriksat1
06-03-2015, 02:13 PM
I stay away from lakes that have eating fish warnings. If a pregnant woman shouldn't eat them why should I?

bobk
06-03-2015, 02:38 PM
For those that suggest they taste the same big or small that may or may not be true, even the placebo effect simply knowing some facts can play into this taste thing making it subjective.
I do know the larger/older they are the more contaminates you will ingest as this is an cumulative process and the concentrations can drastically increase in some bodies of water when consuming 20"+ mainly due to the years of exposure.
Of course the body of water & the types of pollutants within are the key element.

Therefore them large erie & other lake walleyes are eating better than those that eat the larger fish lol

Have you ate a 10# walleye before from lake erie? I'm amazed that guys here can tell you they taste just as good as a 20" eye yet we are all still wrong.
A good article on this years allowable catch on lake erie.
http://www.glfc.org/pressrel/LEC_newsrelease_3-24-15.pdf

eriksat1
06-03-2015, 02:51 PM
Is there a fish eating advisory on lake Erie walleye? Mercury or pcb's?

bobk
06-03-2015, 02:55 PM
It used to be 2 meals a week on perch and 1 a week on walleye. I'm not sure if that's still the case.

cyber16
06-03-2015, 02:58 PM
Plenty and some worse then others depending on the location.
When I can purchase fda approved PCBs, Mirex, Dioxin in the spice department of the grocery stores, then I may eat some of the larger fish ..jk....

Here is the Western Region Fish Advisories of NY
https://www.health.ny.gov/environmental/outdoors/fish/health_advisories/regional/western.htm

easy to find and read all the states and Canadian advisory as well
But it really comes down to much of the same on inland lakes as well.
But them great lakes have seen their fair share of industrial mishaps & dumpings

YES, every body of water has some sort of issues, just some worse than others and some with more chemicals than others.

2015 Ohio
http://www.epa.state.oh.us/portals/35/fishadvisory/fishadvisory_pamphlet.pdf

State fish advisories aren’t reaching Ohio’s anglers
http://eyeonohio.org/state-fish-advisories-arent-reaching-ohios-angle/

Again, this is really an issue with all bodies of water

Black98TransAM
06-03-2015, 03:33 PM
Used to be my trip to leech was my only trip for Walleyes. The slot was 18-26 so I got in the habit of keeping fish 13.5-17.75

The lake closest to my house has a protected slot of 14-18. One over 18 may be kept and there is no size limit. On that lake if I am keeping fish I will take 12-13.75 fish and if I get an over that is 18-21 I will keep that.

Sportdog
06-03-2015, 05:54 PM
Well shoot! Can't eat commercial fish, can't eat the fish you catch, can't eat anything with gluten, can't eat red meat, can't eat pork, can't ingest any processed food because it's loaded with sugar, can't eat starchy food because your body turns it to sugar, beer has sugar, wine has sugar, whisky and beer have gluten, can't drink milk because of the hormones the cows have ingested, can't eat butter, most of our water is filled with mercury and pesticides........... Ah screw it! Give me some surf and turf and a baked potato loaded with butter. Milk with the meal and some cake for desert and a nightcap of alcohol to round out the evening......... :D

Rapscallion
06-03-2015, 06:53 PM
Have you ate a 10# walleye before from lake erie? I'm amazed that guys here can tell you they taste just as good as a 20" eye yet we are all still wrong.
A good article on this years allowable catch on lake erie.
http://www.glfc.org/pressrel/LEC_newsrelease_3-24-15.pdf

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe Ohio has been even close to reaching their TAC the last few years. 10 lb walleyes taste just fine....

bobk
06-03-2015, 07:52 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe Ohio has been even close to reaching their TAC the last few years. 10 lb walleyes taste just fine....

I believe you are correct on both comments.

ohiojmj
06-03-2015, 08:50 PM
1030 pm, just finished a yard project and had to snack on cold erie walleye that I fried the other day, probably a 8 pounder and excellent. Not like a cold lake 18"er, but otherwise I'd be having a cheeseburger. Big erie walleye taste great if you know how to trim them and cut to cook all pieces consistently, they are great. The 14" drinks are good, but I'd need at least 4 for a hungry man's meal. I wouldn't know how to catch a sub 20" on erie though. Tight lines...

Rat1
06-04-2015, 05:52 AM
When I used to fish the NWA on LOW we never kept anything less then 18 inches. I was doing the same thing at Devils Lake in ND but I was not putting many fish in the cooler. When I was cleaning my two fish one day I seen guys cleaning many fish less then 14 inches. So I adjusted my sizes to include 16 inch if they are good fat ones. The only time I go in with a full limit is if they are smaller ones. The Larger fish in the 19+ inch range and I will stop before I get a full limit because I don't need that much for a meal. Two 19 inch walleyes will easily feed the Wife and I and our boy even though we can keep 5 each.

tv4fish
06-04-2015, 06:42 AM
Well shoot! Can't eat commercial fish, can't eat the fish you catch, can't eat anything with gluten, can't eat red meat, can't eat pork, can't ingest any processed food because it's loaded with sugar, can't eat starchy food because your body turns it to sugar, beer has sugar, wine has sugar, whisky and beer have gluten, can't drink milk because of the hormones the cows have ingested, can't eat butter, most of our water is filled with mercury and pesticides........... Ah screw it! Give me some surf and turf and a baked potato loaded with butter. Milk with the meal and some cake for desert and a nightcap of alcohol to round out the evening......... :D

:cheers: What he said. :happy:

fireboat
06-04-2015, 09:10 AM
All fish have a life span. Is it better to let them die of old age or eat some of them?

h8go4s
06-04-2015, 08:57 PM

Not in Minnesota. Check the regulations.

"What fishing methods are illegal?

Intentionally fishing for a species during its closed season.

Using an artificial light to lure or attract fish. However, you may use a lighted artifi*
cial lure. Batteries used in lighted fishing lures must not contain mercury.

Leaving your fishing rod or any type of line with hooks attached unattended.

Using explosives, firearms, chemicals (not including fish scents), spring devices or
electricity to take fish.

Taking fish by hand (noodling) or by snagging"

cyber16
06-05-2015, 05:15 AM
Never said MN
This is what we did as younger adults in WI 30+ years ago for fun.
Some of the farmers like them smoked, we liked catching them that way.
Was perfectly legal

tv4fish
06-05-2015, 06:26 AM
Using explosives
Say WHAT :huh::huh: Since when did they ban dynamite??????? (Just kidding, guys). :)

Yellow Fever
06-06-2015, 07:20 AM
The point is the Erie (or for that matter any) fishery is being closeley managed and the limits are set accordingly. The statement about 1 boat catching and keeping fish what can a whole bunch of boats do is irrelevant isnt it? I just spent 6 days fishing out of Port Clinton and caught 81 walleye in my boat alone and did not keep a fish, If an angler legally catches a fish and wants to eat it that is his buisness and not mine, I have no right to critisize an angler for keeping a fish that was caught legally....Its getting to the point you cant post a picture of a fish on ANY forum with out someone making an unneccesary comment...possibly petty jealousy

garage_logician
06-06-2015, 02:33 PM
The point is the Erie (or for that matter any) fishery is being closeley managed and the limits are set accordingly. The statement about 1 boat catching and keeping fish what can a whole bunch of boats do is irrelevant isnt it? I just spent 6 days fishing out of Port Clinton and caught 81 walleye in my boat alone and did not keep a fish, If an angler legally catches a fish and wants to eat it that is his buisness and not mine, I have no right to critisize an angler for keeping a fish that was caught legally....Its getting to the point you cant post a picture of a fish on ANY forum with out someone making an unneccesary comment...possibly petty jealousy

Sure, because people care to want to protect the fishery they are "jealous". I really hate these kind of ad hominem statements. These kind of statements are made for either one of two reasons (maybe both). That is; to PO the people on the other side of the argument, or to make the poster feel good.

I have no issue with people keeping legal limits of fish. However, being in a state where over-fishing has ruined some great fisheries in the past (LOW, Red Lake) and present (Mille Lacs) I can understand why some anglers are protective of the resource. I would never demand of anyone to release legal fish, but I would encourage them to return the larger fish just because

1) I believe that the larger fish are needed to maintain a healthy population. This may be an incorrect assumption based on some reports that I have seen lately.
2) Give another angler a chance to enjoy the thrill of catching a fish of a lifetime. Costs you nothing to put it back.
3) Larger fish, to me, just don't taste as good as smaller fish. Might be in my head, but it is good enough for me.

Let's face it, anyone who can afford to pursue Walleyes using the boats and gear that most in this forum have can afford to buy a meal of fish. So there is really no economic reason to keep them either.

I do understand the joy of bringing home a mess of fish and having a meal. When I can, I do. But not at the expense of eating the larger trophy fish. Does it upset me when someone else keeps and eats the trophies. No. Am I "jealous"? Not sure what I am to be jealous of, that they caught fish? That they caught big fish? Of what am I to be jealous?

No fishery lasts forever (see, LOW/Red Lake/Mille Lacs/Others). There is no question they can be over harvested. Does it mean your particular lake is at risk? Maybe, maybe not, I don't know. But I do know that is up to all of us to be stewards of the fisheries and the sport.

Keep the fish you want to eat. You won't hear me complain about it. I think it is great and love to have a meal myself. You are free to do what you like, as am I. Just don't tell me I am "jealous" because I have different guidelines than you do. That is just not very productive.

BreezyPoint
06-06-2015, 06:28 PM

I really don't want to get involved in this debate; there are no winners, but I do want to take exception to the statement that the limits are set accordingly in any closely managed fishery at least in Minnesota. That is, unless the only closely managed fisheries in MN are Red Lake, Mille Lacs, and Leech. Politics has a great deal to do with the limits and hinder the DNR in effective management. As a case in point, the DNR is limited in the number of lakes in which they can set special regulations on and that number (I believe it is 200, unless it has changed recently) is set in statue by the legislature. When the DNR wants to set a special reg to protect a fishery it is often met by howls, a lot of it from resort owners. Half the lakes in my area are almost devoid of walleyes and yet the limit is still six. Interestingly at the right time of the season (early, after dark, and late fall) a good angler could catch and keep six, but that hardly helps the fishery much. I really think it is an illusion that the DNR could effectively manage most fisheries given the politics involved.

And buy the way, if I am not mistaken, the legislature set than one over 20 inch rule over the objections of the DNR who wanted to set limits like that on a case by case basis.

Frank

Custom Eyes
06-06-2015, 08:00 PM
I only keep/eat walleye over 25" and muskie over 45". :shocked: :shocked:

Seriously though. There's no one answer. Different bodies of water, different dynamics. Heck, look at Saginaw Bay now. Sooooo many walleye, they ate themselves out of house and home and aren't growing. Proposed increase from 5 to a 8 or 10 walleye limit just for their own good. 100 miles north in the same Lake Huron, on Thunder Bay, dynamics are much different. No sustained or reproducing population. DNR is building artificial reefs to build a resident population. MUCH more to a good walleye population than keeping big fish or not. Some places yes, many many, no.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10364-354458--,00.html

drlee
06-07-2015, 02:45 PM
Only fish walleyes in two different lakes in northern Ontario. Both lakes are walleye factories. How do I know? Because I catch quite a few and I ain't that good.

We have pretty much stayed in the 16"-!7" range to feed our party of 6 on one lake and about the same on my party of 2 lake. We will go to some even in the 15" range. That would be dinner/shore lunch while we are in camp.

We take home 4 walleyes each and try to get them in the same range. Sometimes, someone in the group might want to take the "one over 18" allowed by law in their home package. Some of us don't really care.

We have been reassured by the owners, whom we have grown to know very well at both camps, that we are in no way hurting the population with the way we handle it. The fishing on these two lakes has been very consistent over a long number of years. One is fished in mid June, the other the last 2 weeks in July.