Attention - Password and Security Update

modadmin
06-14-2016, 09:23 AM
Hey all,

Over the next few days we will be implementing some changes to our forum password strength and password expiration policies. To make sure you continue having the best experience possible on the community, we regularly monitor the site and the Internet to keep everyone's account information safe. We've recently become aware of a potential risk to some accounts coming from outside of this community. Just to be safe, we are implementing the following changes to improve security even further:

1) We are asking everyone to change their passwords (and will force a one time reset). Along with every user on the forum, new passwords will need to be more complex, and can't be simple words (sorry, you can't have "fluffy" as your password anymore!). Please use a password unique to this community. Reusing passwords can expose your account indirectly when other websites (Twitter, Linkedin, Badoo, etc) are compromised; and

2) Your passwords will expire on a 365 day basis. When you login on the 366th day, you will have to change it.

We'll also be sending out an email to users to let them know about the changes, in upcoming weeks.

Thanks all,

Helena

Community Management

That Minnesota guy
06-14-2016, 08:06 PM
Helena you can save the e-mail for me. I have zero interest in updating any passwords. If it's required i'll be gone. To bad because I enjoy some of the people here.

modadmin
06-15-2016, 12:33 PM
I am sorry you feel that way, its is a very quick process and will take very little time. I hope you will reconsider leaving the site.

Thank you so much :)

~ Glenda

WallyWarrior
06-15-2016, 02:54 PM
Helena you can save the e-mail for me. I have zero interest in updating any passwords. If it's required i'll be gone. To bad because I enjoy some of the people here.

Really? Bet you have a hard time getting through every day if a hiccup like this causes you so much trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That Minnesota guy
06-15-2016, 07:05 PM
I get along just fine in life, thank you. I have much better things to do with my time then chase passwords around because this site can't keep it's self secure without that step. Will I be missed? I doubt it, I'm not that important and only add a few thousand clicks. If I liked the direction some of the things were going here I might make a bigger effort and maybe in the future I will. But for now when I need to log in that will be it. I'll still read the threads, if the site will allow it, I just won't be able to respond. Everybody here knows how to reach me if they wanted to. :)

Username
06-15-2016, 07:12 PM
I can not login under my username codyk. I no longer use the email associated with my login name. Please send the info for my password reset to [email protected]

Dumbfounded
06-15-2016, 08:32 PM
And haven't received any emails with instructions to change or update password

Locked out
06-15-2016, 09:32 PM
Yup, I'm locked out as well.

Never got the email warning, And have tried to have the reset emailed to me and nothing yet.

yarcraft91-unlogged
06-16-2016, 04:29 AM
I am locked out. I didn't know why until I stumbled across this thread. How do I reset my password if I can't log in? I tried the password reset option, but it asks for my email address and then refuses it?

yarcraft91-unlogged
06-16-2016, 04:37 AM
I've been registered on this site so long, my account may point to an email address that I abandoned long ago. Of course, since I can't log in, I can't tell for certain. If I'd had any notice that the password change was coming, I would have made certain that my email address was up to date.

It's a poor sysadmin practice to invalidate user accounts without notice simply to accomplish a password reset.

PA troutguy
06-16-2016, 06:08 AM
I tried to reset mine and that did not work, I had to use the one furnished in the email. When I attempted to use the new changed password that met all the new criteria it was rejected as not matching as was my old one. The new password transition is an abysmal failure. Suggestions for the yearly change as directed.

1. Start notifying users 30 days in advance, then 15, then 10 , 7 down to one.

2. Select some statistically sound sample size (90% confidence level should suffice) and contact members to determine if the advance notice emails are being received as this time they were not based on my reading here and my own experience. This should NOT be performed using an automated email.

3. Keep checking with these members after they attempt to change their passwords to determine if successful.

4. Because it worked on the test bed does not mean it works in reality.

5. Follow up and do some planning to insure it is smoother on 6-14-17. The attempt to implement this new system is amateurish and even if one attempts to meet the new standards it still does not work.

6. I did not change email addresses.

Alw
06-16-2016, 07:34 AM
I can live with the password change, stuff happens and it's normally not that difficult.
IF the admin gives us a bit of warning, which they didn't, and IF the system can deal with all the password changes that will happen, which it evidently isn't.

Shows a bit to the Peter principle at work here imho

Al

Pezman38
06-16-2016, 08:13 AM
try to login,
When that fails click the forgot password
Put in your email address
Go take a dump for about 20 mins, or get a coffee
Check your email and your temp password should have arrived
Login

Once in on the far left hit USER CP
Then look down about 1/4 of the page and click EDIT EMAIL AND PASSWORD - change your password

gdi
06-16-2016, 08:14 AM
Well it took a bit to get done but it's done. I see no need for all this upper lower case symbols numbers and 10 digit stuff. This is not the type of place that needs this type of log in but it is what it is. I'll forget the new password and soon won't be here because of the pain that it is, but I will try and hang in there. Just my 2 cents.

gdi

yarcraft91
06-16-2016, 08:33 AM
Nice to see the password reset is working again.

None of my financial websites requires as strong a password as WC does today. I didn't realize this site had such serious security concerns.

stjoeguy
06-16-2016, 09:10 AM
I'm logged in with a new password now, so I can quit wasting time as a guest and get back to wasting time as a logged in member!

KoolBreeze
06-16-2016, 09:41 AM
According to the modadmin, 365 days from now we can all do it again.:cheers:
Happy Anniversary!!

Kevin23
06-16-2016, 03:25 PM

You are quitting this site because you have to spend 2 minutes changing your password once every 365 days? :boohoo:

hunts2long
06-16-2016, 03:39 PM
Worked fine. Every year is good and it helps to keep the old memory active. Just be glad they didn't re-set the post total to zero. It would take the 365 days to get back to old count....h2l

boomerf
06-16-2016, 05:40 PM
Didn't receive an email to change password so did as instructed per "forgot password" instructions. Received an email with temp password so all good except my user name was changed from eyeboom to boomerf?????

Ideas?

Kind of like a witness protection program!

wallydave
06-16-2016, 07:13 PM
The only way I was able to login was to use Tapatalk. The email option just didn't work. Pretty poor customer service.

unlogged codeblue
06-17-2016, 07:15 AM
Had an old email so its impossible to use a temporary password. I then followed the instructions about the contact us option. I did that. No reply. What is the 3rd option?

coyoteman cant log in
06-17-2016, 07:37 AM
I have tried contacting also just as they say to do and have not received a reply. My old e-mail does not exist either. Bitter Fruit

greg k 9
06-17-2016, 07:54 AM
gregk9 cannot log in!! Cannot send for password reset email. I have a new e-mail but can't get into my account to change that. UGH!!!!!

Bowhunter74201
06-17-2016, 08:18 AM
boy that was a pain.. it finally worked after 8 attempts. i got the first email after doing the "forgot your password" thing. that email tells you to click on a link which then brings you to a wc page that says another email is being sent to change your password. this one has the link to actually change your password. like i said, this was my 8th attempt at doing this. i wasn't getting the emails at all on prior attempts. extremely poor update/change roll out. i work in the IT world.. i'd get canned for something like this.

wdhill22
06-17-2016, 09:17 AM
Got your email with changed password tried it at twenty times with new password could not login. Went through process again got a different new password got login. Went through process to change password to my liking followed your procedures to the tee clicked on save info at the end nothing happen wont let me change to password I want. The password u sent me doesn't even meet the criteria u set for changing to a new password. WTF WALLEYE CENTRAL??????

modadmin
06-17-2016, 10:01 AM
The reset emails themselves are still going through to many users, because of how many there are going out some email providers are throttling us and slowing them down. The forgot password link has been moved to a different system and it's passwords are generated from a separate part of the site that bypasses the rules. Please be aware, if you try the forgot password option more than once ignore all but the latest emails. Those of you who have already created a new account please feel free to pm our admin account, Modadmin and we can set up a new password manually. We're trying our hardest to keep up with the contact us queue but there will be some delay and for that I sincerely apologize.

Kyle

modadmin
06-18-2016, 07:59 AM
The only way I was able to login was to use Tapatalk. The email option just didn't work. Pretty poor customer service.

Are you sure you are using the email address that you registered with? send us a PM and we will have a look for you.

Helena

coyoteman cantlog
06-20-2016, 07:18 AM
I still have not received any response. My old e-mail address is not valid. I have sent you an email with my new address and have not heard a thing????

modadmin
06-21-2016, 11:19 AM
Hey there,

The contact us email address is receiving many emails from sites all over our network.
We are trying to get to them as fast as we can, we ask that you be patient with us.

Please PM us if you have already sent us a contact us email, we will try get back to you asap.

Thank you for your patience and understanding,

Richard.

wallydave
06-21-2016, 04:28 PM
Why do we get locked out? Is this going to be a regular feature? I tried to save username and password, I still get locked out and have to go through the process of getting emails and starting all over. Get your u know what together.

Juls
06-22-2016, 01:58 AM
Why do we get locked out? Is this going to be a regular feature? I tried to save username and password, I still get locked out and have to go through the process of getting emails and starting all over. Get your u know what together.

Did you change your password from the new one they gave you? That one is only good for 24 hours. You have to change it as soon as you get logged back in.

wallydave
06-22-2016, 04:41 AM
Juls, I did reset my password, saved it, and when I returned to the site, the fields were blank, I typed in both and got the reset message.

modadmin
06-22-2016, 01:08 PM
Hey there,

We have posted to the sites letting users know how to go about changing their passwords. There are a few things that may have happened:
1) the email address wasn’t the current one you use
2) the email is getting blocked by spam or ending up in your junk folder.

If you have not received the password reset email, go to the site and use the password reset tool in the log in window. If this still is not working for you, please go to the contact us page at the bottom right hand corner of the screen and select the “other” field and insert the subject “password reset issue” .

sorry for the trouble. we are sorting out all the issues as they come in. thanks all!

~Shane

Lastflight unlogged
06-28-2016, 09:16 AM
My email has a spam filter that I cannot change that is catching all of the reset password emails.

I sent a message to "Contact Us" over a week ago with my new email. I have not heard anything.

I would like to continue using this site but this is getting frustrating.

modadmin
06-29-2016, 06:19 PM
hey there,

send me a PM with your account, email tied to that account, and the email you want set to your account. i will get it sorted for you.

~Shane

Hawker
06-30-2016, 05:57 AM
hey there,

send me a PM with your account, email tied to that account, and the email you want set to your account. i will get it sorted for you.

~Shane
Shane, you might ought to provide a working email address for them to email you. Pert'near impossible for a "guest" to send and receive PM's. Just sayin............................

modadmin
07-04-2016, 10:11 AM
hey all,

Sorry about the wait, If you are unable to get your password resets properly sorted out due to old emails on your account still after the notice was sent out, we ask that you go down to the contact us area, and with the subject line of "password reset" add the following contents for me:

- Account Name
- Email On the account
- Email You need it changed to if need be

add all this, then hit send, and someone on our team will answer that email and fix your account up no problem. contact us goes directly to our email queue we are answering.

You can do the same and send us a PM privately to have it manually changed, but due to the influx and us tackling a lot of issues, this would be a slower way of getting it reset. we recommend you use the contact us form to get it resolved if you can. If that does fail though and you have waited too long, send us a PM and we will Manually reset it. Just make sure you supply the information above for a quicker fix.

Also, If you do have the right email on your account, I would ask you to please check your spam/junk folders as sometimes with certain email providers, it tends to land in there.

Again, I personally apologize about the wait. We are tackling the password transition as quickly as we can. if you all need anything else, please let me know.

I have replied to All the PM's that were sent here, and issued resets to those who sent a PM or replied back to you. Thanks all.

~Shane

infuriating
07-06-2016, 09:50 PM
Been a user for many years and this is a complete joke. You hit the resend password thing and the password doesn't show up for a day, at which point it has expired.

Did you people get outsourced here from failed Bar Rescue owners?

Juls
07-07-2016, 01:00 AM
Been a user for many years and this is a complete joke. You hit the resend password thing and the password doesn't show up for a day, at which point it has expired.

Did you people get outsourced here from failed Bar Rescue owners?

Use the "Contact Us" button at the bottom of the page, like Shane asked.

used to be 97roughneck
07-07-2016, 09:14 AM
Juls, I did reset my password, saved it, and when I returned to the site, the fields were blank, I typed in both and got the reset message.

same thing happens to me and I've done it twice. SOMEBODY HELP ME

Raybob
07-08-2016, 07:31 AM
Tis a real pain for me to log into WC now for sure (non-auto) manual :sorry: ~ used to be so easy before it got messed up...

Thanks for the help Sara B & Sivane S, but my Gmail addy thinks [email protected] is a spammer...

Ray

modadmin
07-08-2016, 12:19 PM
Tis a real pain for me to log into WC now for sure (non-auto) manual :sorry: ~ used to be so easy before it got messed up...

Thanks for the help Sara B & Sivane S, but my Gmail addy thinks [email protected] is a spammer...

Ray

Could you please check your spam folder then for the email or flag rvguide as safe then?

and we are doing out best all. As i stated on the last page the steps to take to get your account back in order. we have team members answering PM's, Contact us emails, mods and admins are manually resetting some and giving them to us to reset in pirvate areas as well.

I will post the instructions again. Follow the steps and be patient, we are answering many messages, but yours is there, and we will get to it.
thanks to all the mods and admins here who have been helping out a lot.

here are the steps i posted on the last page that i will post here again:

If you are unable to get your password resets properly sorted out due to old emails on your account still after the notice was sent out, we ask that you go down to the contact us area, and with the subject line of "password reset" add the following contents for me:

- Account Name
- Email On the account
- Email You need it changed to if need be

add all this, then hit send, and someone on our team will answer that email and fix your account up no problem.

You can do the same and send us a PM privately to have it manually changed, but due to the influx and us tackling a lot of issues, this would be a slower way of getting it reset. we recommend you use the contact us form to get it resolved if you can. If that does fail though and you have waited too long, send us a PM and we will Manually reset it. Just make sure you supply the information above for a quicker fix.

Also, If you do have the right email on your account, I would ask you to please check your spam/junk folders as sometimes with certain email providers, it tends to land in there.

if you all need anything else, please let me know.

~Shane

Buckmaster6532
02-09-2017, 12:40 PM
Why is the permitted password here so strict? One of this one of that and
then cap, lower case numbers signs? Are you pretending to protect the launch codes? I am signing off for good.
:bangin:

old guest
02-09-2017, 01:38 PM
dear buckmaster....signing off for good after your first post??????????????? where to now?????

Frustrated
02-21-2017, 05:39 PM
Have tried to get back in for quite some time. Have sent 2 requests for password resets and received two automated responses with no password information in them. About ready to throw in the towel here. Also have checked junk and trash files. Nothing there either. Help!!!!

modadmin
02-24-2017, 09:15 AM
Have tried to get back in for quite some time. Have sent 2 requests for password resets and received two automated responses with no password information in them. About ready to throw in the towel here. Also have checked junk and trash files. Nothing there either. Help!!!!

Please pm me your email address as it should be sending a second email with a new temp passwords

Kyle

Frustrated
02-25-2017, 10:23 AM
Won't allow me access to p.m. you my email. Keeps asking me to log in, which I can't.

modadmin
02-27-2017, 10:24 AM
Email it directly to me then. ***

Kevin

modadmin
03-01-2017, 07:23 AM
Thanks, got your message. Edited out my email to save myself from spam.

I tried sending you the reset tool from my end. Let's see if that works better for you

Kevin