Can't Discuss Issues With Certain Boats?

B-man
03-12-2018, 04:40 PM
What happened the the "Cracks on Ranger 620" thread?

Did it get political or religious?

So having 1,000 threads on cracked Trackers, soft Lund transoms etc are okay? But one thread discussing an issue with a RANGER is frowned upon?

What if someone else had the same problem and was looking for some information?

I don't get it......

Not only was is it swept under the rug..... someone burned the house down so there wasn't even evidence of a rug or dirt to begin with?

Custom Eyes
03-12-2018, 04:56 PM
It's been that way for the 20 years I've been lurking here. I didn't even click on the thread to know if there was a good reason or not, but Ranger issues are generally not allowed to be discussed here unless you're talking about your already resolved happy ending.

Boondock
03-12-2018, 04:58 PM
Interesting
Have seen some cracks on the deep v line of ranger boats discussed here before.
Then a newer ranger with cracks in the gel coats after a few trips...

vassago
03-12-2018, 05:31 PM
I'm in early stages of shopping for a boat and Ranger is among the top of the list and I rely in a large part on the insights shared here on this site to give me a good idea of a boat's relability and potential problems to allow me to weigh my decision on how to spend 60-70K of my $. I **thought** forums like this one gave its readers a somewhat impartial perspective on owners' experiences with different brands and support consumers with information to help decide on their purchase decisions. Learning that posts are purged because of the sensitivity with creating negative perception is downright deceptive in my opinion.

I was following the post in question with some piqued interest, not because i thought the issue should be warrantied, but just to see how the scenario plays out. While I felt bad for the new owner and the cracks he discovered after he bought the boat, i really didn't think Ranger was obligated to do much for him. He probably regrets not examining the boat closer and getting a better idea of what he was getting into. i I honestly believe that there would really be nothing that Ranger could do for this new boat owner other than assure him that gelcoat cracks are a common occurrence and don't affect the integrity of the boat.

What really bothers me - is the powers-that-be that operate this forum delete a post to protect a particular brand. This leads me to wonder what other posts have been deleted that reflect legitimate issues that should be taken care of by the manufacturer.

I'd be lying if I told you my faith and confidence in this forum wasn't rocked by this unfortunate situation. I think i will seriously reconsider Ranger as a front runner and maybe look closer at other brands and types of boats that aren't subject to this kind of illicit brand protection.

That Minnesota guy
03-12-2018, 05:47 PM
I'm in early stages of shopping for a boat and Ranger is among the top of the list and I rely in a large part on the insights shared here on this site to give me a good idea of a boat's relability and potential problems to allow me to weigh my decision on how to spend 60-70K of my $. I **thought** forums like this one gave its readers a somewhat impartial perspective on owners' experiences with different brands and support consumers with information to help decide on their purchase decisions. Learning that posts are purged because of the sensitivity with creating negative perception is downright deceptive in my opinion.

I was following the post in question with some piqued interest, not because i thought the issue should be warrantied, but just to see how the scenario plays out. While I felt bad for the new owner and the cracks he discovered after he bought the boat, i really didn't think Ranger was obligated to do much for him. He probably regrets not examining the boat closer and getting a better idea of what he was getting into. i I honestly believe that there would really be nothing that Ranger could do for this new boat owner other than assure him that gelcoat cracks are a common occurrence and don't affect the integrity of the boat.

What really bothers me - is the powers-that-be that operate this forum delete a post to protect a particular brand. This leads me to wonder what other posts have been deleted that reflect legitimate issues that should be taken care of by the manufacturer.

I'd be lying if I told you my faith and confidence in this forum wasn't rocked by this unfortunate situation. I think i will seriously reconsider Ranger as a front runner and maybe look closer at other brands and types of boats where this kind of illicit brand protection doesn't take take place.

There are somewhere around 240,000 threads pertaining to Ranger that you can read about. Crazing in fiberglass boats isn't anything new. I've been reading about them since Gore invented the internet. The thread in question had a question asked and answered many times.

I suggest everyone here mail $30.00 a month ($1.00 a day) to the ownership for the ability to read and post what we want. Don't wanna do that? Ummm, what if we allow advertising on the site instead?

I'm sorry to hear your "faith and confidence" was rocked, my faith and confidence in you has been rocked also. I would think you could make a decision based on more then one thread.

(Please don't take my response personally, it is just a in general response)

Carry on. :muahaha:

bigshane
03-12-2018, 05:57 PM
That made no sense dutchy

Scott C
03-12-2018, 06:23 PM
Did the mods delete it or the OP delete it? If you know who the OP was then send him a PM and ask him. I wonder if part of the deal with Ranger is they are going to take great care of the customer, and in return want to clean up the negative posts? I think every brand has issues from time to time, but if the mods are deleting threads about a specific boat brand then they are dishonest to say the least.:shame:

Custom Eyes
03-12-2018, 06:24 PM
There are somewhere around 240,000 threads pertaining to Ranger that you can read about. Crazing in fiberglass boats isn't anything new. I've been reading about them since Gore invented the internet. The thread in question had a question asked and answered many times.

I suggest everyone here mail $30.00 a month ($1.00 a day) to the ownership for the ability to read and post what we want. Don't wanna do that? Ummm, what if we allow advertising on the site instead?

I'm sorry to hear your "faith and confidence" was rocked, my faith and confidence in you has been rocked also. I would think you could make a decision based on more then one thread.

(Please don't take my response personally, it is just a in general response)

Carry on. :muahaha:

The point is, and indisputable, is that a critical thread about a Ranger has a faaaaarrrrrrrrr better chance of getting deleted than probably all other brands combined. Some posts remain, but most do not. After 20 years, I've still yet to see any difference in the special moderating in regards to Ranger. Not bashing them here at all. Would be at the top of my list of next boat to consider, but I just have this bad habit of pointing out the obvious and calling it the way it is.

vassago
03-12-2018, 07:09 PM
The point is, and indisputable, is that a critical thread about a Ranger has a faaaaarrrrrrrrr better chance of getting deleted than probably all other brands combined. Some posts remain, but most do not. After 20 years, I've still yet to see any difference in the special moderating in regards to Ranger. Not bashing them here at all. Would be at the top of my list of next boat to consider, but I just have this bad habit of pointing out the obvious and calling it the way it is.

Custom Eye, I think Minnesota Guy has a point. We don't pay for this service and you don't see much advertising here (which i kinda like to be honest). Bills to keep the service going still gotta be paid...

I really do think though to be reputable and ethical, they should declare their sponsors and financial supporters so as to at least declare their potential biases. Google makes its content producers do this.

It's crystal clear from that Minnesota guy's comment which tail is wagging this dog.

But pls don't get me wrong, this isn't necessarily a bad thing- it is business after all and companies gotta make money. But if given a choice, I'd personally rather pay the 30/month to have the benefit of impartiality.

Custom Eyes
03-12-2018, 07:16 PM
Custom Eye, I think Minnesota Guy has a point. We don't pay for this service and you don't see much advertising here (which i kinda like to be honest). Bills to keep the service going still gotta be paid...

I really do think though to be reputable and ethical, they should declare their sponsors and financial supporters so as to at least declare their potential biases. Google makes its content producers do this.

It's crystal clear from that Minnesota guy's comment which tail is wagging this dog.

But pls don't get me wrong, this isn't necessarily a bad thing- it is business after all and companies gotta make money. But if given a choice, I'd personally rather pay the 30/month to have the benefit of impartiality.

Don't get me wrong either. I'm not complaining, just calling it the way I've seen it for the last 20 years. No bother to me. I use an ad blocker now, so I don't know if Ranger is a site sponsor still, and if so, then I guess whatever makes the people paying the bills happy is what rules the day. Part of the big boy world. If the moderation and bias is based off an individual moderators affiliations, well then, that's a whole different ball of wax, but still management's call either way and I could care less which way they side on any brand. That's why there are a ton of sites out there to research through and sort the fact from fiction and bias.

TomP.
03-12-2018, 09:57 PM
The crazing especially where it sits on the trailer is a bad deal BBCboards has had a lot of people complain and many even after it was fixed the crazing came back one guy had his repaired 3 times and still returned.

Lets see if this post stays up.

Juls
03-13-2018, 02:48 AM
Moderators didn't delete the thread....it shows the OP deleted it, which is confusing since an OP shouldn't be able to do that. That's very weird.

By the way, there was nothing in that thread that would warrant a moderator to delete it.

It's been undeleted.

Thanks for all the bashing though...have a great day!

pinwheeled
03-13-2018, 06:59 AM
are you all talking about the thread I just read only 2 lines up from this one called Cracks to the Ranger 620.

I don't think anybody deleted it I just opened it.

B-man
03-13-2018, 07:09 AM
are you all talking about the thread I just read only 2 lines up from this one called Cracks to the Ranger 620.

It was missing, and now is back.

Juls
03-13-2018, 07:33 AM

My response, before yours, explains it.

staylor
03-13-2018, 02:04 PM
I'm not that familiar with Ranger- but gel coat cracks occur fairly often in glass boats- and it's usually due to an overly thick lay-up of the hull, often with lots of chopper gun build up rather than layers of bi-directional cloth. The chopper gun mixes cut up glass cloth with resin and sprays it out into the mold. In other words- excessive use of a chopper gun usually means a boat that is built at low cost- or sometimes that the maker wants to have a nice shiny hull with no cloth cross hatching showing through. I've had experiences with several low cost glass hulls- one of which appeared to be built almost entirely with a chopper gun. This hull nearly killed me when the deck cap broke away from the hull at the transom and forward for the next 4 feet of length during a storm on Lake Erie. The other hulls all exhibited gel coat cracks when they were about 5 years old- although all of the cracks were cosmetic.

I've also had great experiences with fully hand laid hulls using mostly glass cloth and only minimal or no use of the chopper gun- one was an 18 ft Baja, the other a 21 ft Checkmate- both were very light performance hulls with glass so thin on the decks that you could see the sun shining thru on a summer day. I had each of these hulls for 8 years or so with zero cracks of any type. The Baja is now 32 years old and I still see it now and then- and its crack free.

The usual test to see how a glass hull is made is to go under the console or look in the bilge to see if you can actually see the hand laid glass cloth cross hatch pattern showing rather than a totally smooth surface- or take a tour of the factory and see how the hulls are made.
Doug

modadmin
03-14-2018, 09:24 AM
As Juls mentioned, this has been restored.

Let us know if you have any other issues with it.

- JB