Advanced search

photojon
03-19-2018, 03:05 PM
Iíd like to search an exact phrase and canít seem to find that option in the forum (even under advanced search). I do see it available in the faq. Iíve tried using quotes and Boolean operators (AND, OR,NOT) but those all appear to be ignored and is treated as ďanyĒ. Thanks

Juls
03-20-2018, 02:19 AM
What is it you're trying to find?

photojon
03-20-2018, 07:11 AM
Juls, thanks for the question.

In this particular instance I was trying to find "Air Wave" to find feedback/comments that others have posted over the years on seat suspension, but I often have this challenge on other searches. Like when I'm trying to refine my search on products, bodies of water etc. The current advanced search seams to "catch" more items than one would want rendering the results (due to the large number) useless. In the above case, I got "hits" on the word wave which you can image there are a few of :-)

Thanks again

modadmin
03-20-2018, 09:59 AM
Hey there,

Have you tried using the google custom search option as an alternative?
We're in the works on implementing a better search tool at the moment but there is no ETA on when that will happen.

Ed

photojon
04-09-2018, 04:44 PM
Ed, Sorry for the late reply. By Google Custom Search, are you referring to your search string followed by the "site" keyword and URL to the site? Thanks for the recommendation.

modadmin
04-10-2018, 09:36 AM
Ed, Sorry for the late reply. By Google Custom Search, are you referring to your search string followed by the "site" keyword and URL to the site? Thanks for the recommendation.

So I used Advanced Search and got multiple results for air wave.
Here is how I searched.

Ed

photojon
04-10-2018, 10:29 AM
Thanks Ed,

Those are the same results I get however it is showing results that of any post that have the word Air and Wave in it. Not Air and Wave together. I would expect by putting "Air Wave" in quotes that it would take it as a literal. I would like to avoid catching results like "a large wave caused the boat to catch air" This is just one example and there are other searches I have tried. Earlier you noted using Google Custom Search. Do you have more details on that. Thanks for all you do keeping this forum up and running smoothly.

modadmin
04-10-2018, 01:42 PM
Can you search it without putting the quotations?
I just tried searching Air Wave and every thread I go into, it'll give me posts that says Air Wave

Unfortunately, I have mistaken the Google Custom Search as it isn't implemented on this forum. Please disregard.

Ed

photojon
04-10-2018, 02:08 PM
Most of the posts do indeed relate to Air Wave seats but there are several that don't. Here is an example of one of many that aren't. (did not use quotes for this search) see attached screenshot. In this particular case I could sort through to get the content I am after. My question was more general in nature as I did some one of the searches on this site (can't remember the forum" had "exact match" as an option.

terrapin
04-11-2018, 07:42 AM
I avoid using the internal search functionality on this (and most) forums. Never seems to work right. I prefer to use the google search engine. In your case:

"air wave" site:walleyecentral.com

Yields appropriate search data, all related to what you are looking for.

modadmin
04-11-2018, 08:32 AM
Most of the posts do indeed relate to Air Wave seats but there are several that don't. Here is an example of one of many that aren't. (did not use quotes for this search) see attached screenshot. In this particular case I could sort through to get the content I am after. My question was more general in nature as I did some one of the searches on this site (can't remember the forum" had "exact match" as an option.

Gotcha. And to answer that, no not that I'm aware of. Part of why we are looking into that upgraded search that Ed mentioned. Should improve on site search significantly

Kevin

photojon
04-11-2018, 11:33 AM
Thank you Kevin. I feel bad about posting this under complaints as I really donít have any complaints with this awesome forum. Itís just the closest I could find to ask a question about the configuration. Iíll try using that going forward

modadmin
04-12-2018, 07:18 AM
No worries. Sorry for misunderstanding you at the outset

Kevin