Message Editing & Deleting

Lake Of The Woods
11-01-2018, 06:13 PM
Just tried to edit and delete a reply but was given a message that after the post has been up for over 15 minutes the option to do so is not available. Perhaps this time restriction should be lengthened or eliminated. Why such a restrictive policy to edit or delete ones own post/reply?

Juls
11-02-2018, 02:47 AM
I've forwarded your message on...let's find out. I don't see why there is a need for a time restriction for that either. :huh:

Golden
11-02-2018, 09:42 AM
It's like that for a reason......and it has been like that for a LONG time.

The reason that I did that was so that a person could not make a post, allow a lot of people to reply to that post......and then change the subject of that post.

So....if I posted that I don't like people that keep more fish than the limit allows.....and a lot of people replied "me too"

Then I go back and I change the post to say that I agree with people that keep more fish then the legal limit allows.....and all those people have replied that they support it also.....but they really don't.

If you have posted something that you no longer want online.....just alert the moderators......but after 15 minutes.....it's there to stay otherwise

Make sense?

15 minutes is certainly long enough for a person to change their mind......and even by then there are usually some replies.

Anyway....that is why I set it like that....to prevent people from "trapping" others.

Juls
11-02-2018, 10:27 AM
Ahhhh.... something like that would never have crossed my mind. Makes sense, I guess. :huh:

Hot Runr Guy
11-02-2018, 01:00 PM
It's like that for a reason......and it has been like that for a LONG time.

The reason that I did that was so that a person could not make a post, allow a lot of people to reply to that post......and then change the subject of that post.

So....if I posted that I don't like people that keep more fish than the limit allows.....and a lot of people replied "me too"

Then I go back and I change the post to say that I agree with people that keep more fish then the legal limit allows.....and all those people have replied that they support it also.....but they really don't.

If you have posted something that you no longer want online.....just alert the moderators......but after 15 minutes.....it's there to stay otherwise

Make sense?

15 minutes is certainly long enough for a person to change their mind......and even by then there are usually some replies.

Anyway....that is why I set it like that....to prevent people from "trapping" others.

Ahhhh, we think alike! There are times when I see a particularly wrong post, I'll go and do a "reply with quote", so that the original is captured, even if the OP goes back and edits their original and tries to change their position or comment.

HRG

modadmin
11-02-2018, 02:30 PM
Hi there,

Edit timers are also to protect the integrity of the site and its database. This ensures that information cannot be changed after the fact (A post which got a member banned, threats, changes in content to sway an argument, ect) and ensure members cannot return after a hiatus and remove all their postings which would severely damage a thread.

With that being said, it is set to 15 minutes for both thread title and the thread body. We can get that bumped up to 12 hours? Would this be enough time?

Ed

Hot Runr Guy
11-02-2018, 02:46 PM
Hi there,

Edit timers are also to protect the integrity of the site and its database. This ensures that information cannot be changed after the fact (A post which got a member banned, threats, changes in content to sway an argument, ect) and ensure members cannot return after a hiatus and remove all their postings which would severely damage a thread.

With that being said, it is set to 15 minutes for both thread title and the thread body. We can get that bumped up to 12 hours? Would this be enough time?

Ed

I would leave editing to 15 minutes, but would extend the time for the OP to delete the entire thread to something longer. Maybe they have a change of mind after posting, so dusting the entire thread removes the problem, without having to have the Mods intervene.

HRG

modadmin
11-05-2018, 10:32 AM
Unfortunately, this is the same for deleting threads.
There are stricter restrictions on deleting threads since that will cause loopholes within the forum software.
If someone ever needs their threads deleted, they can contact us or a mod via PM

Ed