Why is there a 15 minute limit on editing an existing post?

yarcraft91
12-30-2018, 08:21 AM
The administrators have decided to limit the time window for editing a previously posted message to 15 minutes after the original post occurred. I don't understand the benefit of doing this, but I do see a disadvantage.

The disadvantage I see is that sometimes I'll have a thought I want to add to a post and that may happen more than 15 minutes after I originally posted the message. It's a bit frustrating to want to simply edit a post and find I cannot, usually, but not always, because the EDIT button has disappeared. Today, I was able to edit the original post, only to then be told I cannot post the updated version. This happened when I began editing within 15 minutes, but didn't finish within the 15 minute window.

What benefit(s) does this forum realize by limiting the time we have to edit an existing post?

modadmin
01-02-2019, 06:42 AM
I have no record of this setting being changed. At what point did you notice you couldn't edit after 15 minutes. That's typically the default of VB

Kyle

yarcraft91
01-02-2019, 11:03 AM
I've been a site member for 13 years. When I started, there was no time limit on editing posts. That is true today for another forum I frequent. The time limit I refer to on this site seems to be less than 2 years old. That's about when I began to notice the limit, which came as quite a surprise to me at the time.

modadmin
01-02-2019, 03:17 PM
If you need help with post edits you can PM me the details and I can work on it with you.
-Philip

Juls
01-03-2019, 03:41 AM
https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=687790&highlight=can%27t+edit+post+minutes%3F

It was explained in this thread.

yarcraft91
01-05-2019, 05:14 PM
Thanks, Juls. I re-posted the same question on this forum after I started the thread you referenced, but, ironically, it was too late to delete the original post in General Discussion. That 15 minute thing, you know. :)