Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - Reply to Topic
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion > Electric car

Thread: Electric car Reply to Thread
Your Username: Click here to log in
Title:
  
Message:
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
06-18-2019 10:40 AM
cast_and_blast I have a Model 3 long range AWD that I just bought in late March of this year. I'm not going to jump into the fray here, but if anyone wants to PM me here I'm happy to chat via PM or phone call and answer questions as I'm able.

Summary: I look forward to my drives every day. I charge at home very infrequently as I have 240v charging available for free (to me) at my office. When I do charge at home it is 4.4 cents per kWh. Electric utility gave me $500 to install 240v line in my garage. Feds will give me $3750 next year when I file my taxes. The car is ridiculously quick (and this isn't even the fast one) going 0-60 in about 4 seconds. It is a dream in stop & go traffic as it will keep me going the perfect speed and adjust (all the way down to a full stop) as necessary. If I would like, it will also steer itself and stay in the lane - dead center. It's comfortable too! Safest car ever tested, costs me the same as a Hyundai Sonata to insure. Supercharging is available along major routes throughout the US (and other countries) and their new V3 chargers will regain mileage at the top rate of 1000 miles per hour. This means I would stop and top off the battery (310 mile range rated) in about 10-15 minutes from about 25% charge.

All that and it looks nice too.

Good luck!

Scott
06-18-2019 09:05 AM
unchained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderjet View Post
Where can you buy a Tesla model 3 for $35,000 out the door plus sales tax? And you are forgetting about the cost of insurance to factor in. I pay $240 for 100 ded and 0 ded collision. Plus it really doesn't matter to me what the national price of gas is. Its $2.30 where I live. Then you have the concern about parts and repairs. Honda dealers are all around me, places that work on Teslas are not. Besides, we like the idea we can park the Civic anywhere and not worry about door dings.
I didnt buy the Civic for comfort and touring, although it is pretty dang nice. And I can drive it across the country. I have yet to see a electric plug in at any of the stores we travel to or places we visit. This is an argument neither will win. Buy what you like and so will we.
Cheers
well you keep shifting the argument, so no it's impossible to 'win'

I addressed your concerns about cost. The Tesla costs about the same as a Civic. Now you're worried about all kinds of other things, which is fair, but that wasn't your initial argument. Door dings? Why would you worry more about a door ding on a tesla vs. a civic if they're both the same cost over the lifetime of your ownership? Makes no sense.

Just keep buying Civics, no harm, they're excellent cars. I will just say that when you do go electric, you will like it. Everyone will...it's better. So no need to fear the future (not saying you are, just saying)

And the 'can't drive across the country' concern has been debunked numerous times by tesla owners. I've personally done dozens of 300-400 mile trips as well as one 1000 miles trip. No problem. You can make specific ridiculous arguments all you want to exclude yourself, but it doesn't mean it's a sound argument against the concept.

p.s. here's a map of tesla superchargers. You really think you're going to have trouble finding a charging station for long trips (which you might do 1 or 2x per year...so basing your car purchase on it is kind of funny) Let me guess, you only drive in Alaska or northern Russia...
06-11-2019 02:12 PM
Thunderjet Where can you buy a Tesla model 3 for $35,000 out the door plus sales tax? And you are forgetting about the cost of insurance to factor in. I pay $240 for 100 ded and 0 ded collision. Plus it really doesn't matter to me what the national price of gas is. Its $2.30 where I live. Then you have the concern about parts and repairs. Honda dealers are all around me, places that work on Teslas are not. Besides, we like the idea we can park the Civic anywhere and not worry about door dings.
I didnt buy the Civic for comfort and touring, although it is pretty dang nice. And I can drive it across the country. I have yet to see a electric plug in at any of the stores we travel to or places we visit. This is an argument neither will win. Buy what you like and so will we.
Cheers
06-11-2019 12:35 PM
unchained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderjet View Post
I would buy an electric car in a heartbeat if the $$$ numbers made sense. But when I can buy a 2019 Honda Civic LX for $18K in Feb of this year and the car has averaged 41 mpg for the first 4,500 miles with gas costing about $2.30 a gallon the cost of the electric just does not make sense.

Get me into an electric that holds 2 adults and a decent trunk for under $20K and the car has a safe 250 mile range I will buy one tomorrow.
You're not the target market for electric cars yet (those who only look at sticker price and not the full ownership cost). The tech means the only way to incorporate it into a vehicle that has the potential to be profitable is to make the offering a luxury or sport vehicle to attract those willing to pay that premium (engine and transmission might cost the makers $5000...while electric batteries and motors might cost more like $15,000...hard to hide that $10,000 premium in a $20,000 vehicle).

Still a ways away for that market that just wants a new car for the cheapest price possible.

With that said, a Honda Civic is a bit of a tin can compared to a $35,000 model 3 (or a $37,000 model 3 standard range + which is 240 miles range, 0-60mph in 5.3 seconds). The Civic is an excellent car but is light on comfort, light on perks, light on performance.

When you factor in your costs over 5 years of powering a Tesla Model 3 vs. teh costs over those same 5 years on a Civic...then compare the depreciation on the civic vs. the model 3...you'll find you're paying pretty similar over prices for the two vehicles.

depreciation on that $35,000 model 3 is anticipated to be about 40% over 5 years while it's like 50% on a Civic. That's $14,000 vs. $9,000. $5,000 in teh Civic's favour.

Drive 15,000 miles a year in your civic and you're at 75,000 miles for 5 years. If that's at 40 mpg (dubious...not sure that's reasonable to expect but let's pretend) you're at 1875 gallons of gas at $2.80/gallon national average. $5,250 for Civic fuel. The model 3, to drive 75,000 miles would require about 12,000 kwh of electricity. What's your cost on that...$0.10/kwh? That's $1200. Let's pretend it's $1500 to be safe. So we're at $5250 vs. $1500. $3750 in the TEsla's favour.

The difference sits now at only $1250 (still in the Civic's favour). I reckon the cost of servicing a Civic, and the cost of brake jobs will more than eclipse that over 75,000 miles, so now the Tesla is cheaper. Any government incentives on the Civic? Nope.

Is the Civic quick, quiet, beautiful, big enough for 4 adults and has 2 trunks? Nope. The Tesla is.

So it's not really 'expensive'...when you factor in everything. If all you look at is sticker price today, sure electric cars 'cost' more. BUt that's being pennywise and pound foolish.
06-11-2019 10:56 AM
Thunderjet I would buy an electric car in a heartbeat if the $$$ numbers made sense. But when I can buy a 2019 Honda Civic LX for $18K in Feb of this year and the car has averaged 41 mpg for the first 4,500 miles with gas costing about $2.30 a gallon the cost of the electric just does not make sense.

Get me into an electric that holds 2 adults and a decent trunk for under $20K and the car has a safe 250 mile range I will buy one tomorrow.
06-11-2019 10:51 AM
unchained
Quote:
Originally Posted by ro7all View Post
are you going to pay full price? or tax breaks an other subsidizes? if so are i am against it because the rest of us are helping you buy your car.
I agree, it's a bit goofy to help people buy $100,000 electric cars with government subsidies. If someone wants to take an early adopter position, let them do so with their dollars.

I live in Ontario Canada, and up until a year ago, we had a $14,000 government subsidy on bought electric cars. That was changed to a limit of $75,000 purchase price, then it was changed to $0 subsidy when a conservative government came in. I agreed with that decision despite being an electric car owner/buyer.
06-11-2019 10:48 AM
unchained
Quote:
Originally Posted by DW View Post
Tesla advertises two packs @ $13,600 plus $1,100 for equipment for a typical household plus install . So what is the additional costs for solar collector installation for the anticipated EV demand? You, not me, should do the arithmetic and make your point demonstrating the wisdom of that investment.
make your mind up...are you arguing dollars and cents, or are you arguing that there's no way to limit our reliance on fossil fuels. Because you keep switching back and forth whenever it's convenient.

first you said that electric cars don't help the environment because they're still relying on power generated predominantly by fossil fuels, namely coal. In another thread (about electric boats at niagara falls) I showed you to be wrong about this, as the source of the grid power in many jurisdictions sees only a small amount from fossil fuels, and much of that is natural gas based, not coal. Even in your own state. Then you turtled and disappeared.

next when shown the solar option here in this thread, you argued that solar doesn't change anything because you'd just be feeding the grid, and the grid is still a fossil fuel based source of energy (which, again, is not the case in many jurisdictions)

then when shown that you needn't feed the grid you can generate, store, use at your leisure using powerwall systems, and now you're saying its too expensive.

An electric car battery was about $40,000 to replace 8 years ago. Today it's less than half that. In 4-5 years it will likely be half that again if not less once production really takes off with panasonic and tesla gigafactories.

in any event, you've taken a side, dug in, and don't want to hear about anything else. That's your prerogative. Doesn't make you right.
06-11-2019 10:42 AM
unchained
Quote:
Originally Posted by DW View Post
Against $0 profit. No worries, just a few more millions to investor loss.
he made it sound like the potential $41 million in fines (it won't amount to anywhere near that) were going to break the company.

Guess you missed that part.
06-11-2019 10:40 AM
unchained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Pederson View Post
Rivian?
Rivian is a pipe dream. Also, it's hideous lol. Finally, will it be better than Tesla's pickup truck in any way? Not price, not range, not looks, not charging infrastructure, and certainly not being issued by a stable company with scale.

So tell me again how Rivian is better than any tesla?
06-10-2019 04:23 PM
ro7all
EV subsides

are you going to pay full price? or tax breaks an other subsidizes? if so are i am against it because the rest of us are helping you buy your car.
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.