Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boats (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Starweld fusion 20 pro or starweld victory 20 welded or riveted yes or no what’s best (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726746)

Walleye2487! 09-14-2021 08:36 PM

Starweld fusion 20 pro or starweld victory 20 welded or riveted yes or no what’s best

Hi do you guys have any info for me about both the boats listed above I was thinking about the victory pro because the family/fish boat but not sure about the flip up/down casting deck does the back casting deck take up a lot of the fishing room for the size of the boat . Because I’ll more then likely be using it on Lake Huron walleye trolling. So I need room I also like the bow cushions. Also

Ltrain 09-15-2021 08:38 PM

I remember the 20 ft Starweld boats had a listing problem a couple years back, don't know if it had been corrected.

A couple more things, and I'm not knocking your decision just want you to be aware of some of the things i found when I was looking at them besides the listing problem. The 20 is not actually 20 ft, it's only 19.5, and it's only rated for 175 hp which is awful low for a 19+ ft boat.
Also when i climbed inside it felt really small, the beam is only 92" then the interior sidewalls also are pretty wide, it felt really tight. Also the gas tank is only 35 gal, if that matters to you, I know i like a bit bigger tank. Just some things i noticed and felt I should pass on

Walleye2487! 09-16-2021 03:56 AM

What do you mean by a listing problem? I’m new to maybe buying a new boat so I’m not necessarily buying starweld boat definitely don’t think I can swing a Lund I believe Lund are way more expensive. Do you recommend a aluminum 19-20ft boat I should look at?

staylor 09-16-2021 06:21 AM

The Starweld line seems to have a more narrow hull than current competing boats- typically they run around a 92 inch beam in the 19 ft range whereas other makers are running beams in the 99 inch range. This makes the Starwelds a bit more sensitive to offset loads. I run a Starcraft SF-176 which has the older narrow hull which I prefer since I usually run only alone or with 1 passenger. I can suggest you take a look at the Starcraft Fishmaster line which comes in 19 and 21 ft and has a 99 inch width. I’ve owned 4 Starcrafts over the past 40 years and had no issues with any of them. In fact, I see my 1981 16 footer now and then which is on it’s 3rd owner with no leaks, cracks, etc running on Lake Erie. Starcraft pricing is pretty decent too.
Doug

Walleye2487! 09-16-2021 08:16 AM

The fish master is way out of my price range

FinmanPoozie 09-19-2021 10:15 AM

Have you checked out Alumacraft, Tracker or G3 as options? They seem be a decent boats & might be closer to your price point

Happy Fishing!!

Ltrain 09-19-2021 12:02 PM

[QUOTE=Walleye2487!;6597410]What do you mean by a listing problem? I’m new to maybe buying a new boat so I’m not necessarily buying starweld boat definitely don’t think I can swing a Lund I believe Lund are way more expensive. Do you recommend a aluminum 19-20ft boat I should look at?[/QUOTE]

Sorry just seen this. The Starweld 20 footers tended to lean to one side. Here is a good read.
[url]https://www.ohiogamefishing.com/threads/2020-starweld-fusion-20-first-impressions-and-port-side-list-issue.370265/[/url]
I seenyou were recommended a couple boats - the Alumacraft are verynice boats, thr G3's are owned by Yamaha so you'll be getting a great motor. Personally I didn't like the narrow gunnel on the G3 because I like gunnel tracks buts that's a personal preference. Not to start a flame war but you couldn't give me a Tracker.

FinmanPoozie 09-19-2021 12:14 PM

[QUOTE=ltrain;6598114].... you couldn't give me a Tracker.[/QUOTE]

Ohhhh- I'd always be gracious & accept any boat that someone wanted to give me :grin: LOL

Happy Fishing!!!

ohiojmj 09-21-2021 06:35 PM

Trust me, the starweld fusion 20 needs trim tabs, most likely due to prop torque and minimal reverse chines/lack of bottom strakes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

FinmanPoozie 09-22-2021 04:17 PM

[QUOTE=ohiojmj;6598650]lack of bottom strakes. [/QUOTE]

Really no strakes? My 1st deep-v was a Monark King 190. 98" gunnel, 72" chine, and no strakes (nor did I have a clue back then what a strake was)

I could not turn left. Seriously. I had to either turn right, or drop the trolling motor, turn, stow it & then go straight. The boat was horrible.

No strakes? Seriously look elsewhere for a boat through my eyes. I know corners need to be compromised with lower end boats like the Monark was but it fit my budget at the time. Still, no strakes meant that boat had serious stability issues.

Happy fishing!!