Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Motors and Props (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Ranger 621 on order, what motor? (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307850)

KyleK 02-09-2014 07:24 AM

Ranger 621 on order, what motor?

I ordered a Ranger 621 this week. I currently have a 250 Mercury Pro XS ordered, is this a good choice?

What would you choose, and why? What are your real world experiences with a similar setup.

When paying this kind of money, I would like to hear others thoughts. Really want to make the best choice.

Thanks,
Kyle

TommyB 02-09-2014 09:46 AM

PM sent

Guest Ranger Danger 02-09-2014 09:59 AM

Yamaha 300 Offshore for that size boat. Much more reliable as well and by far the best choice. Yamaha's have better resale value as well.

KyleK 02-09-2014 10:08 AM

Thanks for the replies so far, please keep them coming.

Phil T 02-09-2014 10:25 AM

It's like buying a performance car. How fast do you want to go, how much can you spend?

KyleK 02-09-2014 10:35 AM

[QUOTE=Phil T;2433762]It's like buying a performance car. How fast do you want to go, how much can you spend?[/QUOTE]

I don't need to be the fastest guy on the water, but don't want to be under powered either. I'm just looking for info, what has worked, and what hasn't, and why.

If the 300 V-Rod is the right choice, why is it? If the 250 Pro XS is, why? If it's an 250 Etec, ect...

I understand the 4 stroke vs 2 stroke stuff, but some moter/prop combo's work better with certain boats. That's the type of info I'm looking for, I've decided on the boat. A lot of guys around here spend a lot of time on the water, or know people that do. I want to make the best educated decision. If I need/should spend the extra money on a 4 stroke, I want to know why. Gaining 2mph more isn't worth it to me, overall performance of the rig is. I don't want to have the boat 2 months down the road and say "I really wish I would have"...

Thanks

dutchboy 02-09-2014 10:48 AM

Get ahold of the prop guy in Brainerd. (sorry I can't recall his name) I'm sure he has performance numbers for most motors. Guys also tend to trust their prop guy giving him real life opinions of motor brands.

Just my 2 cents. :)

bloodman 02-09-2014 10:58 AM

Part of your decision should be about resale. I would think the 300 vrod would be most desired. I know I wont be looking at a used 621 with a 250 anything on it.
I have had plenty of times when an extra 50hp would have been nice to have. Especially with 3 or 4 people aboard and a full load of equipment trying to navigate 3-4 footers. It aint all about speed. Its about performance. The vrod has the torque you need for any condition. JMHO

Power that thing to the max:driver:

KyleK 02-09-2014 11:02 AM

[QUOTE=bloodman;2433914]Part of your decision should be about resale. I would think the 300 vrod would be most desired. I know I wont be looking at a used 621 with a 250 anything on it.
I have had plenty of times when an extra 50hp would have been nice to have. Especially with 3 or 4 people aboard and a full load of equipment trying to navigate 3-4 footers. It aint all about speed. Its about performance. The vrod has the torque you need for any condition. JMHO

Power that thing to the max:driver:[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that's the type of stuff I'm looking for. I have thought about the resale aspect, and the 250 option does have me worried a little.

Thanks again

Gale Johnson 02-09-2014 12:10 PM

300 Vrod

Its a big, expensive boat already, not saying anything bad about the opti, but dont' scrimp on the motor, 300 Verado is the best option for a lot of the mentioned reason's

I have ran one for 3 years and looking forward to the fourth coming up soon. One thing that you will enjoy is how quiet it is at speed, nice to be cruising along and be able to carry on a conversation.