Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boats (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Power Pole charge (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=721284)

Yellow Fever 06-13-2021 03:35 PM

So...an update on the Power Pole Charge, After running it for 6 weeks i have taken it off and put my Dual Pro back in. I noticed that on long trolling days i was getting issues with my electronics. I have a 16 Live networked to a 9 Live and was having issues with the 9 losing the 16 and erratic readings. Both units were down to 12.1 on the voltage reading and from my research that is to low. ( mind you they didn't shut off when i started the big motor) Before the Charge unit i always had well over 13 volts from the main and kicker motors.These Charge units may be great for the Bass guys but in my opinion they have limitations for the Walleye trollers

jjy 06-14-2021 03:56 PM

Is it possible you may need a larger capacity or extra house battery for your electronics? The bass guys run way more electronics than walleye guys.

nomorehandcuffs 06-14-2021 06:05 PM

I also have a power pole charge and have had a similar issue with long days of trolling. I believe for me the issue is that once trolling motor batteries start getting low it automatically pulls from my house battery which in turn lowers that faster than normal but extends my my tm batteries. I emailed power pole to see if there was a way to stop sharing of batteries and there’s not. So they are always sharing some amount even though you can change the priority. To me this is it’s one fault. Sometimes I just want my system to be normal. Let both tm and house batteries deplete at their own rate as independent systems. Then depending on my needs I could enable sharing to charge what I need. They tried to make it to smart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yellow Fever 06-14-2021 06:50 PM

[QUOTE=jjy;6569798]Is it possible you may need a larger capacity or extra house battery for your electronics? The bass guys run way more electronics than walleye guys.[/QUOTE]

Possibly...But i run a live 16 a live 9 a fish hawk and my Ranger Ride system as well as downriggeras

CMesserschmidt 06-15-2021 09:01 AM

I also switch my app to go to Main battery instead of juice to the trolling batteries. The reason for this is I am running 100ah amped lithiums. Those things should last all day with hard use and I should not have to pull from my main to help them things out. So I strictly run power to main with my charge.

My system runs flawless with a live 16, 9, power pole pump, trim tabs, and live wells recircing and filling all day, radio and marine band on.

The seaclear harness really helped out my system. I also found that I had a shorted out breaker on my panel which was pulling my main battery down. Fixed that and all has been good in the neighborhood running everything hard during long tournament days.

Yellow Fever 06-15-2021 09:09 AM

I had the switch directed to the main (starting) battery, even running the battery never went over 12.4 ,switched back to the Dual Pro and unit showed 13.5 running and over 13 on the kicker. I noticed on the app there was always charge going to the TM batteries even when directed to the starting. I have a good solid battery

jjy 06-17-2021 08:07 AM

[QUOTE=Yellow Fever;6569954]I had the switch directed to the main (starting) battery, even running the battery never went over 12.4 ,switched back to the Dual Pro and unit showed 13.5 running and over 13 on the kicker. I noticed on the app there was always charge going to the TM batteries even when directed to the starting. I have a good solid battery[/QUOTE]

Did you ask powerpole about the 12.4v on main battery? 12.4v is around 80% capacity. Most dc to dc and alternator chargers don't direct current away from main under 13V. 13V is considered 100% charged. Would be nice to be able to adjust the voltage ranges of each battery on the charge. I wish Victron made a 3 bank dc to dc charger. Their smart dc to dc units are fully adjustable.

FinmanPoozie 07-10-2021 09:34 PM

What's missing is there's no built in battery maintenance or trickle charging. I'd consider going with 1 also but I doubt that I'd use that over a MinnKota precision for maintaining the batteries

..maintenance is missing in the Charge

Happy Fishing!

FinmanPoozie 07-10-2021 09:36 PM

[QUOTE=CMesserschmidt;6569952]I also switch my app to go to Main battery instead of juice to the trolling batteries. The reason for this is I am running 100ah amped lithiums. .[/QUOTE]

What do you gain with a Charge that the motors can't do with their alternators then?

Happy fishing!!

CMesserschmidt 07-14-2021 06:46 AM

[QUOTE=FinmanPoozie;6577428]What do you gain with a Charge that the motors can't do with their alternators then?

Happy fishing!![/QUOTE]

I run my trolling motor hard for tournaments. As I am running long distances it helps keep them charged for use and I don't ever think about running out of juice.

My main battery is big enough now (Odyssey 31 AGM) that it has plenty of power to run everything. My original problem I figured out was I had a bad breaker for my baitwell pumps that was draining my battery down. I fixed that and haven't had a problem since.

For me I get the best of both worlds. Also when I go to Canada or someplace where I don't have a power hookup, I don't worry as much because I know I can run probably a weekend of fun fishing without having to worry about charging now especially in Canada. I usually run 40 miles and when just cruising it does a good job of charging the batteries both ways. When I do that I usually change it to shared. Once the TM batteries are charged then it puts full power to the main. But usually you see power through CMonster going to both at that point.