Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Strictly Fishing (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Water Flow In Lake Kabetogoma (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171024)

Walleye Wagon 09-04-2010 08:29 AM

Water Flow In Lake Kabetogoma

I am going to Lake Kab in 2 weeks. I was wondering what direction does the current flow in Lake Kab? Does the Ash River flow into Lake Kab? I saw a waterfall in the backdrop of a photo? Where is/are the falls located and does it produce walleye in the fall?

tbomn 09-04-2010 09:29 PM

[quote=Walleye Wagon;1233101]I am going to Lake Kab in 2 weeks. I was wondering what direction does the current flow in Lake Kab? Does the Ash River flow into Lake Kab? I saw a waterfall in the backdrop of a photo? Where is/are the falls located and does it produce walleye in the fall?[/quote]

Kab flows northeast to Kettle Falls. The falls you probably saw in a photo is the Johnson Lake falls that comes into Namakan in Junction Bay. The Ash river flows into Kab around the Dutch Bay area. The Johnson Lake Falls area in Junction Bay has pretty good fishing all year long. If the falls that you saw in your photo is Kettle Falls, you would have to fish the Rainy Lake side of the falls and yes, it does produce well in the fall and spring.

Walleye Wagon 09-05-2010 08:45 AM

Thank you for the information. It sounds like you have a good understanding of the lake. Any additional information or points of information you can share would be greatly appreciated. I have talked to Phil at Gateway who is a wealth of knowledge. I obtained a Navonics map which is extremely detailed. Any points of reference you can provide we would greatly appreciate. Thanks again.

rbsangler 09-05-2010 10:00 PM

Evidently, I'll be pulling out as you go in. I arrive at the West end of Kab on the 11th. I have fished the lake for some 10 yrs now, spring and fall. Not familiar with the falls you are asking about, but I want to look for them when I am there. Any inflow is interesting to me. Kabetogama flows west to east, with the "main drain" at Kettle Falls. Just as the other poster said. i will be looking toward the middle/ east end of Kab and into Namaken for my Fall walleye this year. Steep drops into very deep water and nearby flowing water will be key, in my opionion. If I can't travel due to weather, I'll just fish my usual places on the west end. Good luck, hope you catch 'em.

Walleye Wagon 09-06-2010 05:01 AM

Thanks for the feedback RB. We have obtained a good map of the lake and noted the many island as you go east across the bottom third of Kabetogama to Namaken with a special interest of the mouth of the Ash River where the core area of the mouth is 54' surrounded by a rim of 30-35'. Kettle Falls/Johnson Falls also is of interest. Best of luck to you and your group during your week at Kabetogama. Thanks again for your information about Kabetogama.

Londalip 09-07-2010 05:14 AM

Kab

I'm leaving for Kab Wed/night Thur/morning, Staying at Sunset Resort (Ash River) if you go up river there's a falls there. If its flowing good this is a great place. This Falls was on a TV Show this past winter. I think it was called the North American Angler. Anyways this falls needs water to produce. and a great place for a photo Opp. If anyone was up over Labor day please give me a hint where to start. Any ways my plan is Lost Lake area Thur. Pike Island on Friday. Brunch Sat. (Bloody Marys) at Kettle Falls, Sunday AM. Ash River Falls On the road Sunday by 3. Again if someone can change my mind on a hot bite. Please let me know.

dutchboy 09-07-2010 04:25 PM

She was a blowin' pretty good all weekend up there. The Ash River looks like a milk shake with all the recent rains. Flow is very good with lots of water pushing out of Ash Lake.

I'm not a Walleye guy but I heard things were a bit slow recently. Plenty of boats in Old Dutch Bay Monday, my guess is crappie.

Last year I noticed lots of people fishing the mouth of the Ash River where it dumps into Kab. & Nam. those for sure were Walleye people.

I'll be back up there again this weekend looking for Pike. :rockit:

LEDBECK 09-12-2010 01:20 PM

We just returned from there on Friday, it was a bit slow. wind and weather was a huge factor in my opinion. 2 days out of 8 that we were there ew never got on the water for the wind and the group of guys I fish with are a pretty hardy bunch. several fronts and wind from all directions changing each day. with all that said, the group of 12 I was with had 3 big feeds, and still took fish home. we had good luck on center reef, the shipwreck island area, Martin islands, and several other areas were spotty for fish. 30-35ft deep mainly. live bait, minnows, did not do well with crawlers. hope you have some stable weather and get into them. that lake can get real hot at times.

Walleye Wagon 09-13-2010 04:41 AM

5 days and counting

Ledbeck...thanks for the update. Did you have any specific species bite more than the other..Walleye...Smallies...Pike?

Walleye Wagon 09-13-2010 04:43 AM

LakeClarity

It appears the area has received a great deal of rain lately. Is the lake still stirred? Especially at the mouth of the Ash River?