Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boats (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Who replaced your Lund transom? (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697534)

HodakaD 08-20-2019 05:07 PM

Who replaced your Lund transom?

I find myself in the unenviable situation where I believe my transom is at least starting to rot. For those of you who have had your transom replaced, where did you take your boat? Were you satisfied with the outcome? I've called a couple Lund dealership in my area, and they both farm out the work. I'm just curious what everyone else had for an experience. Thanks.

x4flatfish 08-20-2019 07:45 PM

Did mine myself. Where are you located? I believe Hennepin Marine in Hennepin Il. does transoms. Also Calumet Marine Chicago area. I think the guys name is Frank. Posts on here sometimes...

2Rod 08-20-2019 07:50 PM

I replaced mine myself also. Poured SeaCast into the transom cavity.
I have a photo album documenting the process if you are interested.

Ltrain 08-21-2019 04:12 AM

Frank at Calumet Marine does top notch work, I've been in his shop while he was doing transom work and seen for myself. He happened to be booked up when i needed mine done, so unfortunately he did not do mine. I also had seacast poured. My motor setup by the previous owner puts an inordinate amount of stress on my transom - it's a 20" transom but he wanted a 25" motor so he added a jackplate and a 4 stroke motor. The fact that, that boat was designed to have a 350 lb motor hung off the back now has a 480 pound motor set 6 to 8 inches back and all the way up is causing a slight flex in my new seacast transom. I talked it over with Frank and he's going to beef up the transom further with 1/4" aluminum C channel across the inside transom top, bolting the top jacklate bolts through the channel as well as thru bolts through transom and channel. So in the end not only will my transom never rot but it should be plenty sturdy too.

T Mac 08-21-2019 07:10 AM

Where are you located.?

DW 08-21-2019 07:54 AM

[QUOTE=ltrain;6351774]Frank at Calumet Marine does top notch work, I've been in his shop while he was doing transom work and seen for myself. He happened to be booked up when i needed mine done, so unfortunately he did not do mine. I also had seacast poured. My motor setup by the previous owner puts an inordinate amount of stress on my transom - it's a 20" transom but he wanted a 25" motor so he added a jackplate and a 4 stroke motor. The fact that, that boat was designed to have a 350 lb motor hung off the back now has a 480 pound motor set 6 to 8 inches back and all the way up is causing a slight flex in my new seacast transom. I talked it over with Frank and he's going to beef up the transom further with 1/4" aluminum C channel across the inside transom top, bolting the top jacklate bolts through the channel as well as thru bolts through transom and channel. So in the end not only will my transom never rot but it should be plenty sturdy too.[/QUOTE]

When you look at the profile of a transom the weak spots are inherently at the lower corners of the outboard cutout. There is little transom material between the corners and the hull bottom to handle the motor forces which are transmitted through those weak spots, especially with 20” cutouts. No wonder why 25” and even 30” outboards are the norm for the big HP motors.

HodakaD 08-21-2019 12:31 PM

I'm located in North Central Wisconsin. About an hour north of Wausau.

Ltrain 08-21-2019 12:57 PM

[QUOTE=HodakaD;6351914]I'm located in North Central Wisconsin. About an hour north of Wausau.[/QUOTE]

That's about a 6 hour drive to Calumet marine, kinda far but may be worth it. There has to be a reputable shop up that way,no? Maybe in the Minocqua area? Green bay area?

Ltrain 08-21-2019 01:05 PM

[QUOTE=DW;6351840]When you look at the profile of a transom the weak spots are inherently at the lower corners of the outboard cutout. There is little transom material between the corners and the hull bottom to handle the motor forces which are transmitted through those weak spots, especially with 20” cutouts. No wonder why 25” and even 30” outboards are the norm for the big HP motors.[/QUOTE]

And greatly amplified by setting it up and back with the jackplate. If i didn't love that Yamaha 150 4 stroke so much I'd ditch it and throw an old 20" Merc Black Max on her, probably what she originally came with. But the Yamaha is a cream puff, 14 years old and only 460 hours on it, runs like a top. Not to mention sips fuel compared to the old 2 stroke. Just so **** heavy in comparison.

Homer 08-21-2019 04:10 PM

I had mine replaced at a local (to me) marine repair shop in Monroe, MI that was recommended by a fishing buddy. Couldn't have been happier with the outcome - other than not having it rot in the first place.