Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tennesse Real Estate (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722266)

Bugler 04-14-2021 06:31 AM

Just be aware of some of the contaminants in the fish.

[URL="http://www.eregulations.com/tennessee/fishing/contaminants-in-fish/"]http://www.eregulations.com/tennessee/fishing/contaminants-in-fish/[/URL]

bfish 04-14-2021 06:11 PM

[QUOTE=karpbuster;6549302]Where do you live in SE Tennesse?[/QUOTE]

Just north of Chattanooga, in Cleveland. Spent a decade in Cookeville too.

Bugler 04-14-2021 06:40 PM

We spent a little over a week in Tenn last fall, trying to determine where in the state we would like to live if we retired. We wanted lake property if we could find it.

One thing to understand is that the ability to navigate the river system in the wintertime trumps everything. Thus, many lakes are dropped dramatically in the winter to maintain river traffic. Douglas Lake for example drops over 44 feet from summer to winter. I was previously there in February a few years back. Properties supposedly on the lake were actually sitting with hundreds of yards of mud between their docks and the water. It was not an attractive or useful circumstance.

I really liked the riverfront park area in Chattanooga. The rest of the town was just okay to me. One nice thing about Chatt is that it is not an overly long drive to the Atlanta international airport. Also, it is about a 5-6 hour drive I recall for those wanting to go to the beach or catch a cruise on the Atlantic coast.

We also spent a few days in Knoxville but I am not a fan of the tourist traps. I did like some of the areas north of Knoxville.

Further, we spent about three days in the Cookeville area. It is a very nice town with Center Hill lake close and Dale Hollow lake about an hour to the north. It is a bit of a drive, but not overly so to the Nashville international airport. To me, Chattanooga was most memorable and attractive.

karpbuster 04-14-2021 07:56 PM

[QUOTE=Bugler;6550202]Just be aware of some of the contaminants in the fish.

[URL="http://www.eregulations.com/tennessee/fishing/contaminants-in-fish/"]http://www.eregulations.com/tennessee/fishing/contaminants-in-fish/[/URL][/QUOTE]

Wow, that is good info to know. I didn't expect so many places you cannot eat fish from, okay I like catching mostly.

karpbuster 04-14-2021 07:56 PM

[QUOTE=bfish;6550504]Just north of Chattanooga, in Cleveland. Spent a decade in Cookeville too.[/QUOTE]

I guess that is another vote for Chattanooga and area.

karpbuster 04-14-2021 08:05 PM

[QUOTE=Bugler;6550512]We spent a little over a week in Tenn last fall, trying to determine where in the state we would like to live if we retired. We wanted lake property if we could find it.

One thing to understand is that the ability to navigate the river system in the wintertime trumps everything. Thus, many lakes are dropped dramatically in the winter to maintain river traffic. Douglas Lake for example drops over 44 feet from summer to winter. I was previously there in February a few years back. Properties supposedly on the lake were actually sitting with hundreds of yards of mud between their docks and the water. It was not an attractive or useful circumstance.

I really liked the riverfront park area in Chattanooga. The rest of the town was just okay to me. One nice thing about Chatt is that it is not an overly long drive to the Atlanta international airport. Also, it is about a 5-6 hour drive I recall for those wanting to go to the beach or catch a cruise on the Atlantic coast.

We also spent a few days in Knoxville but I am not a fan of the tourist traps. I did like some of the areas north of Knoxville.

Further, we spent about three days in the Cookeville area. It is a very nice town with Center Hill lake close and Dale Hollow lake about an hour to the north. It is a bit of a drive, but not overly so to the Nashville international airport. To me, Chattanooga was most memorable and attractive.[/QUOTE]

Oh that is good info on the rivers, crazy on the water level. Another vote for Cookeville and Chattanooga.

Thanks to all of you, I am thinking of flying into Knoxville and check out Cookville and then Chattanoga after I talk to some Realtors. Get a feel for the areas. The home prices seem a bit high, land too. But that is true all over. Even my home in ABQ is at an all time high, seller's market to the max. People fleeing from else where in the USA. I just want to live out my retirement near some good fishing and my wife has places to go and have fun/see with me (and we have good medical facilities close by). The only thing that could bust it is a too cold winter. But I have heard that can be mitigated by the right location. I am checking out Cleveland now, I hope it is nothing like the one in Ohio. ;)

karpbuster 04-14-2021 08:25 PM

[QUOTE=karpbuster;6550542]Oh that is good info on the rivers, crazy on the water level. Another vote for Cookeville and Chattanooga.

Thanks to all of you, I am thinking of flying into Knoxville and check out Cookville and then Chattanoga after I talk to some Realtors. Get a feel for the areas. The home prices seem a bit high, land too. But that is true all over. Even my home in ABQ is at an all time high, seller's market to the max. People fleeing from else where in the USA. I just want to live out my retirement near some good fishing and my wife has places to go and have fun/see with me (and we have good medical facilities close by). The only thing that could bust it is a too cold winter. But I have heard that can be mitigated by the right location. I am checking out Cleveland now, I hope it is nothing like the one in Ohio. ;)[/QUOTE]

Okay looking at Cleveland, I found a builder with many communities. Which community would you build in? I don't mind an existing home but I can save myself some grief if I can get a home that my wife can "pick the options" since our lake house was a custom home with everything she wanted. Communities: GreyHawk Trails, Magnolia Farms, Heartland, Engel Park, Amber Valley, Seven Lakes.

Thanks in advance!

Bugler 04-14-2021 08:59 PM

You might find some information on Chattanooga Facebook groups. I was part of a "relocate to eastern Tenn" group for a bit but recently left the group now that I may be giving up my thoughts of moving to Tenn. Housing prices have shot up in that state as so many folks move there to avoid state income taxes.

Bugler 04-14-2021 09:07 PM

[QUOTE=karpbuster;6550542]Oh that is good info on the rivers, crazy on the water level. Another vote for Cookeville and Chattanooga.

Thanks to all of you, I am thinking of flying into Knoxville and check out Cookville and then Chattanoga after I talk to some Realtors. Get a feel for the areas. The home prices seem a bit high, land too. But that is true all over. Even my home in ABQ is at an all time high, seller's market to the max. People fleeing from else where in the USA. I just want to live out my retirement near some good fishing and my wife has places to go and have fun/see with me (and we have good medical facilities close by). The only thing that could bust it is a too cold winter. But I have heard that can be mitigated by the right location. I am checking out Cleveland now, I hope it is nothing like the one in Ohio. ;)[/QUOTE]

By the way, Knoxville is not an international airport and thus, has fewer and more expensive flights. Cookville is closer to Nashville. If you fly into Nashville, after visiting Cookville, you can then drop south right down to Chatt.

pjshorthorn 04-15-2021 05:25 AM

[QUOTE=karpbuster;6549238]I just sold my lake house of 10 years in Texas and would like to look in Tennesse for a place. We would like acreage with its own pond/lake/stream, at my wife's age and mostly my age we need to be near by some good medical facilities. In the past some of you have migrated to Tennesee, we have heard that Chattanooga is a good area. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice. Close to fishing lakes is great of course, not really into the lake house deal anymore. If you know someone in the Real Estate field names and number would be great.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Chattanooga Is a pretty area. I would also take a look at Western NC and north GA. All very pretty mountainous areas with 4 seasons, beautiful fall colors great fishing for multiple species and minimal amounts of snow .

PjShorthorn :rock-on: