Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boats (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Ranger, Mercury, Terrova (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696340)

ZiplocW2018 07-14-2019 07:39 PM

Ranger, Mercury, Terrova

I have a 16 Ranger 621, 300 verado and noticed when trolling with the mercury 9.9 and steering with the terrova the 9.9 loses some electricity. The motor sounds different like it’s lost power. If I stop the terrova after steering the 9.9 goes back to normal (I only have 4 batteries) is this power loss normal?

Common Man 07-15-2019 05:12 AM

Yes the power steering pump is running and draining your starting battery. This is normal and why guys have added a 5th "house battery" to handle the load. Do a search here....it's been discussed extensively

goosechaser 07-15-2019 06:56 AM

I have unplugged the signal wire from the 9.9 to the power steering pump so the pump stays off when the 9.9 is running. There is a thread on here explaining it better than i can and has pictures. It is the best thing to do if you are using your Terova to steer. I have had no need for the fifth battery since doing this. Are you monitoring your volts on your fish finder?

ZiplocW2018 07-15-2019 07:41 AM

I have the power steering wire unplugged. I have new batteries this spring. My volts on my graphs read about 1v below actual. And they go down quicker than they should. After fishing for 2hrs my graphs blink when I start the verado. When fully charged my battery reads fully charged.

goosechaser 07-15-2019 10:38 AM

Just to make sure you have the right wires unplugged have tried to turn the steering wheel and verify no power steering? The other thing to check is where your battery leads for the kicker are landed. When i disconnected the the leads to kill the power steering I landed the kicker leads right to my main battery. With the kicker running and no power steering i never drop below 12.5 volts unless i leave my live well run to long. Hope this helps. Also mabe check to make sure your battery isolator is wired properly. Make sure the isolator is charging your cranking battery first.

welll 07-15-2019 11:37 AM

Did you guys even read his post before you started typing ? The 36v and the 12V starting battery are on entirely different systems UNLESS your jump switch is connecting them. Double check that you have the switch in the right position.

Other than that there is no tie in to the terrova's 36V system and your starting battery which is the system the kicker runs off of.

ZiplocW2018 07-15-2019 03:56 PM

i am going to add the 5th battery and have my wiring re-done. it is a mess in there and i don't think it is wired properly. with only the 4 batteries i think they wired some of the acc. and kicker to one of the trolling batteries. thanks for all the help.

PS - anyone know of a good mercury service center in minneapolis (northern suberb) or anyone that would help me out. i will be in the metro next week.