Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ever Win A Bid Item On Ebay??? (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691922)

Sportdog 03-22-2019 03:06 PM

Ever Win A Bid Item On Ebay???

Selling on Ebay must be a gold mine for sellers. Or maybe just for the people selling things I bid on. Might as well jot down the ending of bidding and start about 5 minutes before. And then it drags on for hours with the 15 minute rule.
Gues I should be happy that I never seem to win unless it’s a “buy it now” price. Saves me money. :exactly:

Ozark Bob 03-22-2019 03:29 PM

This link is only one example of tips for buying on ebay. google is your friend. I have been very successful. You need to know what the item is worth to you. Set a max price for yourself and bid that amount. Ebay will keep you at the top of the bidding list till the bid goes over yours. I probably win 1 out of 10 bids. (I lowball and it pays off) Getting into a competitive bidding situation is not how to save money. It is actually a good way to buy things you need but the research is important. I just wait for an email to tell me I won or not. I never stay involved with the bidding. Bob

Huntindave 03-22-2019 03:32 PM

[QUOTE=Sportdog;6302980]Selling on Ebay must be a gold mine for sellers. Or maybe just for the people selling things I bid on. Might as well jot down the ending of bidding and start about 5 minutes before. And then it drags on for hours with the 15 minute rule.
Gues I should be happy that I never seem to win unless it’s a “buy it now” price. Saves me money. :exactly:[/QUOTE]

The key to winning is bid higher to begin with. Guess it all depends on what your time is worth. I've seen folks sit at an estate auction for hours to bid on 3.00 dollar boxes of garage and basement debris.

Custom Eyes 03-22-2019 03:34 PM

[QUOTE=Ozark Bob;6302990]This link is only one example of tips for buying on ebay. google is your friend. I have been very successful. You need to know what the item is worth to you. Set a max price for yourself and bid that amount. Ebay will keep you at the top of the bidding list till the bid goes over yours. I probably win 1 out of 10 bids. (I lowball and it pays off) Getting into a competitive bidding situation is not how to save money. It is actually a good way to buy things you need but the research is important. I just wait for an email to tell me I won or not. I never stay involved with the bidding. Bob[/QUOTE]

Same here. I just set my max bid and let the system bid for me. As a seller, I make more off an item now selling it as buy it now because allot of people don't want to bother with the bidding or wait. I'm the same way. I always purchase buy it now items unless the bidding is almost over and the price is low, or the item isn't available to buy now.

Custom Eyes 03-22-2019 03:35 PM

[QUOTE=Huntindave;6302992] I've seen folks sit at an estate auction for hours to bid on 3.00 dollar boxes of garage and basement debris.[/QUOTE]

So, you've met my father in law? lol

x4flatfish 03-22-2019 03:48 PM

[QUOTE=Sportdog;6302980]Selling on Ebay must be a gold mine for sellers. Or maybe just for the people selling things I bid on. Might as well jot down the ending of bidding and start about 5 minutes before. And then it drags on for hours with the 15 minute rule.
Gues I should be happy that I never seem to win unless it’s a “buy it now” price. Saves me money. :exactly:[/QUOTE]

What's the 15 minute rule?

Aspencreek 03-22-2019 04:45 PM

[QUOTE=Ozark Bob;6302990]This link is only one example of tips for buying on ebay. google is your friend. I have been very successful. You need to know what the item is worth to you. Set a max price for yourself and bid that amount. Ebay will keep you at the top of the bidding list till the bid goes over yours. I probably win 1 out of 10 bids. (I lowball and it pays off) Getting into a competitive bidding situation is not how to save money. It is actually a good way to buy things you need but the research is important. I just wait for an email to tell me I won or not. I never stay involved with the bidding. Bob[/QUOTE]

Exactly how I do it too. Set your max and let the bidding begin. If I win fine if not...there is always something else better down the line......just won chest waders for $40 only about $200 under what they were in the store. You just need to know your limit and stick to it.

Burr 03-22-2019 05:03 PM

I've had to purchase some pretty specialized assembly torque tools, preset torque tools and such, that really don't have a consumer market, but are commercially a requirement.

These are very expensive tools new, have very little second hand audience, so not a great deal of competition on bids. Ended up setting up about a dozen sub-assmebly work stations with industrial grade preset torque tools for less than 25% of new.

But I do recall when I had a time crunch, and a specific tool I needed was on auction - at any price I had to have it, and paid about 150% of value for that one specific tool too. But ordering it new would have been a 6 week delay that just could not happen. Good thing the paying too much was only a couple hundred dollars too much. Peanuts compared to what that tool made us in a week.

Don't really like it that well for consumer popular things. But items that are a little more rare, it's a good place for buyers and sellers to connect. Somebody salvages out, and somebody gets in thrifty.

grizzley 03-22-2019 05:59 PM

I have won multiple bid items on e bay, I know what I want to pay and usually place one low bid at first and then my maximum bid with about 15 sec to go. I don't get everything I bid on, but have bought several new items for 20-25% less than others paid for them, and for the same bid than I made on them prior and got outbid. Something hard to find may make me ante up, but for the average things I buy I don't get into bidding wars like at some auctions I've been at.

Wrktfsh 03-22-2019 07:16 PM

I haven’t bothered with eBay in a long time. When I did it was for some vintage rod blanks and some bamboo rod. Nothing I had to have. I’d usually try to check on an item abt 10 minutes prior to close and snipe it sometimes.

Win some lose some