Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Electronics opinions? (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719900)

Pafish86 02-04-2021 05:49 AM

Electronics opinions?

I really don’t want to beat a dead horse over these electronics so I am just more so looking for everyone’s opinions on a couple units. What are the pros and cons of them. I’ve been a bank fisherman for years until I finally purchased my first boat last year and would like to update the electronics. Right now I am looking at the lowrance ti2 and the Garmin echo map uhd 93sv. I will be walleye and smallmouth fishing in Erie 99% of the time. I know there is a lot of opinions on each and I’m not dead set one one or the other or even another brand. I’m just trying to learn as much about them as I can before I purchase. I’ve used the search function and found some good information but there is a lot of it that’s a few years old. Any input would help. Thanks guys.

whyknot 02-04-2021 05:55 AM

[QUOTE=Pafish86;6523362]I really don’t want to be a dead horse over these electronics so I am just more so looking for everyone’s opinions on a couple units. What are the pros and cons of them. I’ve been a bank fisherman for years until I finally purchased my first boat last year and would like to update the electronics. Right now I am looking at the lowrance ti2 and the Garmin echo map uhd 93sv. I will be walleye and smallmouth fishing in Erie 99% of the time. I know there is a lot of opinions on each and I’m not dead set one one or the other or even another brand. I’m just trying to learn as much about them as I can before I purchase. I’ve used the search function and found some good information but there is a lot of it that’s a few years old. Any input would help. Thanks guys.[/QUOTE]

IMO, Go to a retailer and use them in demo mode. Get to know ease of use and prices. You will get as many opinions as there are members. What do you want your units to do?, find one that does it and go for it.

Camoclad 02-04-2021 06:46 AM

[QUOTE=whyknot;6523368]IMO, Go to a retailer and use them in demo mode. Get to know ease of use and prices. You will get as many opinions as there are members. What do you want your units to do?, find one that does it and go for it.[/QUOTE]

I think this is really good advice. I do not/would not understand half of the functionality of the units, that said, when I bought the one for my boat I found the price and usability to be the main factors. There are usually a couple of guides around various lakes that either teach seminars on how to use various units or would be willing to guide you in your boat and help you set up and tune in your unit. I also found Youtube to be a decent resource for some of the settings and help to navigate the various screens until I got comfortable with mine. I am a bit envious of the guys who really understand the electronics, their use, and what the images represent when the conditions are tough. I am not willing at this point to put in that much effort, I am usually just happy to be on the water for a few hours! Good luck with your purchase and I hope you catch a bunch!

clawman 02-04-2021 06:56 AM

You can buy used electronics for pennies on the dollar. Don't worry about all of the latest and greatest little features at this point in your learning curve. just get something on your boat and after a season you'll know what is important to you.

Hookem2004 02-04-2021 08:58 AM

Keep in mind if you are going to run a radar or want to expand to two or three units, you might want to buy a higher end unit. The Ti2 you can connect with another unit via bluetooth but has it's limitations on what the second unit can see off the transducer. The Ti2 does not have a network port like the HDS does. I know it's twice as much, but just something to consider if you plan on adding a second or third unit.

Husker525 02-04-2021 11:47 AM

I am not sure many would admit what I will admit. When I purchased my boat, it had a small basic fishfinder. Depth, water temp, speed, and that was about it. It worked but had a small screen.

I found myself wanting something with GPS so went cheap, but upgraded.

Then I found I wanted some different views, such as downscan, sidescan, etc, so upgraded again, but with a larger screen, still in my budget.

Then I wanted an even larger screen, and wanted to add a finder to the bow as well.

Upgraded to touchscreen, networked units, and the ability to talk to my trolling motor.

I have stopped for now, as I have all the things I want and need.

All the brands are good, some are better in some areas, but not by much, and it comes down to ease of access for your taste. Lowrance was behind in the technology for a long while, but it seems they are now back in the game strong. JMO

Demo'ing them is an excellent idea. I went from the Lowrance Hook series, to a Ti, to a TI2.

djcoop52 02-04-2021 12:33 PM

What whyknot said is the best advise try to get somebody knowledgeable in the store to help go thru them with you and ask as many questions as you can. I have and like my Lowrance units Have elite 9inch Ti2 on the console and hook 7 inch on the bow hooked to the terrova. The options and price ranges are almost endless so you need to see what fits your situation. I have found for me that the touchscreen units are more user friendly.

Pafish86 02-05-2021 05:46 PM

Well I finally made it over to sportsman’s warehouse the other day and got to play around with them for a while. To me the easiest to use was the Garmin. Easy to use/navigate is a big plus since my dad uses my boat as well and he is not 100% solid with technology ha. Looking deeper into them I am trying to decide if I should look for a discounted unit with the gt54 transducer or just bite the bullet and get one with the new gt56. Anyone have any input on this?

buckeye1 02-05-2021 06:37 PM

Really that is the $450 question. Is the GT54 good enough, and how does the GT56 compare to the new Lowrance 3-1 transducer.

Ltrain 02-05-2021 11:15 PM

[QUOTE=Pafish86;6523956]Well I finally made it over to sportsman’s warehouse the other day and got to play around with them for a while. To me the easiest to use was the Garmin. Easy to use/navigate is a big plus since my dad uses my boat as well and he is not 100% solid with technology ha. Looking deeper into them I am trying to decide if I should look for a discounted unit with the gt54 transducer or just bite the bullet and get one with the new gt56. Anyone have any input on this?[/QUOTE]

If you're going Garmin i think the gt56 is the way to go. Remember a graph is only as good as it's transducer. Pay once cry once. You'll be happier in the long run