Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Electric car (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694742)

ffishman 06-02-2019 06:30 AM

Electric car

Thinking about replacing the wife's car in about a year. The electric cars are interesting. Just curious has anybody bought one and if so are you happy. What are the draw backs, if any? She only uses her car around town for short trips, so every nite its back in the garage to get recharged.

Fenwick 06-03-2019 05:29 AM

[QUOTE=ffishman;6327396]Thinking about replacing the wife's car in about a year. The electric cars are interesting. Just curious has anybody bought one and if so are you happy. What are the draw backs, if any? She only uses her car around town for short trips, so every nite its back in the garage to get recharged.[/QUOTE]

Snow.

ffishman 06-03-2019 05:49 AM

Considering the lack of response, I guess there are no electric car guys here. Interesting.

That Minnesota guy 06-03-2019 05:53 AM

I have no interest in any vehicle that would fit inside my boat. Although........I do have a electric golf cart so I guess i'm doing my part for society.

Opus Dog 06-03-2019 07:39 AM

I do not own one, but have heard great things about them. Technology on them is advancing everyday. The only down side, and I don't think it at all will be a downside for you wife is the extremes of weather. If it is hot out and you want to run the air conditioner, the energy comes from the battery. If it is cold out and you need to run the heater, seat warmer, heated steering wheel and the defroster, then it comes from the battery. For just running around town and back home to get plugged in for those extremes you will never worry about running out of battery life. I think it is an awesome purchase. Joe

Steven Pederson 06-03-2019 08:43 AM

they are awesome, i know a few guys with awd teslas... they are great in snow. Very smart traction control tech on them.

around town no range anxiety. i say go for it.

bigwalleye1 06-03-2019 11:59 AM

I see the draw, but I'm curious vs the payoff side vs the cost side of the equation, when you consider costs per mile, battery replacement, the life of the vehicle and the cost to generate the electricity. Not trying to turn it into a debate, but I've got a coworker that's long on the brag about how he's doing good for the environment. I keep pointing out to him that his actions require additional use of fossil fuels by guys like me with diesel trucks and 5th wheel campers and boats to keep the environment in harmonic balance.

Steven Pederson 06-03-2019 01:46 PM

[QUOTE=bigwalleye1;6327806]I see the draw, but I'm curious vs the payoff side vs the cost side of the equation, when you consider costs per mile, battery replacement, the life of the vehicle and the cost to generate the electricity. Not trying to turn it into a debate, but I've got a coworker that's long on the brag about how he's doing good for the environment. I keep pointing out to him that his actions require additional use of fossil fuels by guys like me with diesel trucks and 5th wheel campers and boats to keep the environment in harmonic balance.[/QUOTE]

there is a ton of research on this, you can do your own... but in short, where i live, including all the resources used to manufacture a 100kw battery, and auto to put it in, along with all the power to power that car, it would pay itself off from a carbon standpoint in 2.7 years given 10,000 miles/year.

B-man 06-03-2019 01:50 PM

You will likely need a dedicated 240 volt circuit to power the charger depending on her daily use and time between charges.

They will charge on 120 volts, but it's really really slow....

That Minnesota guy 06-03-2019 02:11 PM

The city installed charging stations here in town. Free to use. Well, that is unless you count what your wife would spend in the local stores waiting for a charge. :laugh: