Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Meat Grinder: Cabela's or Bass Pro (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144012)

crankman 09-18-2004 10:29 AM

Meat Grinder: Cabela's or Bass Pro

Need information on Cabela's or Bass Pro Shop meat grinders? The Cabela's 1HP and Bass Pro 3/4HP are about the same price. Has anyone used any of these grinders?, and what is you opinion of them? Thanks for any help.

Steve B 09-19-2004 03:01 PM

RE: Meat Grinder: Cabela's or Bass Pro

I've always been a little skeptical of the grinders aimed at home use. There just seems to be too many parts for something to go wrong with. On the advice of my buddy, I bought a manual one at Gander Mt last year. It was the largest one they sold, a #32, I believe. This thing grinds effortlessly.

I butcher my own deer, along with doing deer for my hunting buddies from deer camp, and I can grind about 30-40 pounds of scraps for sausage in about 15-20 minutes. It even came with the sausage stuffing tubes.

I paid $39 for it, and it seems indestructible.

southern comfort 09-19-2004 04:06 PM

do you ever have a problem with it clogging up???

Steve B 09-19-2004 07:18 PM

I've never had a problem with it clogging up. The only problem I ever had was when I was trying to stuff sausage.You have to have a grinder plate in the unit to keep the handle tight, and I was trying to stuff sausage casings with a regular grinder plate in. I read the directions, and found that there is a plate made just for that (sold separately, of course), I bought the plate, and it worked like a dream.

mrbreeze1 09-19-2004 07:57 PM

I know this is off the subject a bit, but I feel compelled to tell you what I did...

Bought one of those nice Kitchenaide mixers for my wife (she always wanted one) and then bought the meat grinder attachment for myself. It works fantastic for grinding up venison. Picked up the ice cream maker attachment today. Can't be all work and no play.

craig2 09-19-2004 08:10 PM

I dunno, making ice cream from the same machine that I grind my meat in seems kinda gross dont ya think? My wife wouldn't go for that I don't think!

Ohio fisherman 09-19-2004 09:09 PM

I agree with breeze. Wife has the heavy duty mixer and all attachments. She says go ahead and grind up anything that will fit inside - if it wears out she'll get a new one. So far, we have used it for MANY deer, LOTS of breast meat from canada geese for jerky, and LOTS of pork loin for homemade sausage.

we don't have the ice cream attachment, but that sounds fun. don't you make meat flavored ice cream?

good hunting, O F

walleyewizard68 09-20-2004 01:01 PM

I own the Cabelas grinder and love it.I can grind all day and it seldom clogs up.I also make my own sausage,salami,and bologna using the tube and can fly thru pounds of meat in no time flat.I use to have a manual grinder also, but after grinding 9 deer by hand I had enough. Seemed like it took longer to process the deer, than it did to shoot the thing to begin with. I give the Cabelas grinder a big thumbs up!

derslayer660 09-20-2004 02:40 PM

i got a grinder from harbor feright a #10 i think not for sure
about the # its not here so i cant look but with a little work
and a love joy a few boards i conected a 100rpm half hp gear motor
salvaged from junk yard grinder costs around 15$ at there stores
i have ground at least 12 deer and 5 sausage hogs myself my frends have probley have done 40 or more deer and only trouble i had was blade needed sharpend once the gear motors can be picked up different places around the net for around 20-40$ the one thing you will have to do is to cut the end of handel off and weld to love joy
makes quick work of meat payedfor

bobk 09-20-2004 08:21 PM

25 Attachment(s)
L.E.M. used to supply grinders to Cabelas. I have one that we grind 4-6 deer a year with and it works great. I can't imagine using a hand grinder . How would you drink your beer and grind at the same time!!!lol Larry is a great guy to deal with also.
Bob