Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Strictly Fishing (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   need suggestions for a spinnging reel for jiggin (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151459)

JinxCanada 03-24-2009 09:29 AM

need suggestions for a spinnging reel for jiggin

ok. my Shimano 2500Fb Sahara took a dump on me already this year, drag is not working. i need suggestions for a decent reel that won't break the bank but has good bearings (5 or more) anti reverse etc and is not too expensive. any help? TIA

karpbuster 03-24-2009 09:48 AM

[QUOTE=JinxCanada;1090537]ok. my Shimano 2500Fb Sahara took a dump on me already this year, drag is not working. i need suggestions for a decent reel that won't break the bank but has good bearings (5 or more) anti reverse etc and is not too expensive. any help? TIA[/QUOTE]
UL or light I have the Abu Garcia 300ul (well three or four now). They go on sale (rebate) from Cabela's and cost around $30. A great reel. This is it ... not on sale right now, I think $10 rebate, so $35.

[url]http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0036079120604a.shtml[/url]

karpbuster

jshoemaker 03-24-2009 09:52 AM

this is what i use

Pfluger president reels are very reasonably priced and are super solid

brentfrank 03-24-2009 09:56 AM

2nd the Presidents.

Scales 03-24-2009 10:20 AM

When you look for a new reel, keep in mind that a front drag is much stronger than a rear one due to the fact that it has more surface area. Also, I would suggest that you look for a reel with infinite anti-reverse, especially if you plan on using it for jigging. It comes in handy when a fish rips the reel handle out of your hand, keeps the line from going slack.

Mattman 03-24-2009 11:04 AM

Years ago I bought a Sedona, Sahara and Symetre at the same time. Shortly after I bought them I couldn't really tell the difference in the reels.

That winter I tore them all apart and cleaned and lubed them. The difference was noticable. Much better design and more durable design in the Symetre.

A few years later the Sahara was dead. And the Sedona had been put on a rod that rarely sees use. The Symetre was still going strong. And still is today.

I won't buy a reel under the Symetre class now. The Stradic class is the level most of my reels are at.

eyeballs 03-24-2009 11:09 AM

[FONT=TTFF4FEDD0t00][LEFT]Vertical Jigging reels as a rule are small, lightweight pieces of equipment.
Since vertical jigging rods are short and lightweight we simply balance the
outfit with the correct reel. There’s no need to have high line capacities on a jigging reel. Drags must be very dependable and instant anti-reverse is another key feature to look for in a spinning reel.

Also, stay away from reels with the quick cast lever on them for jigging—
[/FONT][FONT=TTFF4FEDD0t00]Fishermen report on many Shimano reels the drag will not engage until
you’ve turned the handle 360 degrees. This could be a problem for dropping to the bottom and closing the bail types of presentations.

America’s most popular brand of spinning reel used for jigging is the Shimano mid priced reels like the Sahara and Stradic. However, Pflueger’s
President has also found it’s way into many a jigging vessel with very good[/LEFT]
reviews. Pflueger is quickly growing in popularity. You’ll find the same compact reel works well for pitching and live bait rigging.
[/FONT]

JinxCanada 03-24-2009 11:14 AM

i don't use baitcasters at all really since i retrieve with my left hand and there are none that i have seen that are left hand retrieve (even though i'm right handed). i just can not jig or hold the rod to retrieve very well with my left hand..i have much better control with my right so that's why i go with spinning reels.

i have been using a Shimano Sahara 2500fb for the past year but the drag is broken on it (emailed and asked for a replacement reel...we'll see how that works out) on top of having the original spool "clicker" thingy break on it. i like the reel, but it doesn't seem to have any longevity of use for the price.

eyecatcher01 03-24-2009 01:05 PM

[quote=JinxCanada;1090578]i don't use baitcasters at all really since i retrieve with my left hand and there are none that i have seen that are left hand retrieve (even though i'm right handed). i just can not jig or hold the rod to retrieve very well with my left hand..i have much better control with my right so that's why i go with spinning reels.

JC, i am the same way when it comes to baitcasters...dont see the reason for switching hands and reeling with the right. i only use left handed baitcasters that have some version of a flippin switch. i just bought a quantum code lefty few weeks ago and it is very nice reel...the code red and walleye grade also come in lefty models which have cpl more bearings but basically identical to the code.

as far as spinning a spinning reel....pflueger supreme is awesome. much lighter than the president and reasonably priced

bardern 03-24-2009 01:23 PM

[quote=brentfrank;1090545]2nd the Presidents.[/quote]

x3! local shop has the XT model on sale for $65. can't be beat at that price