Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bark collars do they really work? (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726726)

holliswuzamember 09-14-2021 09:20 AM

Bark collars do they really work?

I have some apt rentals.
Do you know if these work?

Lady has acquired a therapy dog,...can't do much about that,..law says tenants can keep them,.I have to say the woman is very nice and is taking care of a very sick friend where she has to go out in the afternoon and comes back at around 11 pm..

a terrible family lives above her that we are trying to get rid of them,.(COVID not paying rent for about a year and doing other bad stuff,..) We are in court now,..extended to Nov)

They don't like the tenant because she once called the police on them from fighting /screaming until very late early mornings,which other tenants say it happens very often

They are teasing the dog making her bark , then calling the police on her,

Wondering if a bark collar who help,..do they really work?

gbin 09-14-2021 09:41 AM

I've heard negative reports on collars that spray something like citronella or make some tone meant to distract the dog, but I know from ample firsthand experience that e-collars (that deliver a mild electrical shock) made by reputable companies work very well, indeed. The most effective are those that start with a low stimulus the first time the dog barks, then increases in increments from there up to a moderate maximum if the dog keeps barking within a short time interval. Dogs quickly learn they can get away with one or two quick woofs - and it's hard to extinguish ALL barking - but then they'd better knock it off. Even works on loud whining.

Do heed that "reputable companies" advice, though; there are plenty of folks out there selling cheap and even not-so-cheap junk.

One other thing to be aware of: Dogs are smart creatures and quickly became aware of the fact that they can get away with doing things when they're not wearing the collar. You can make this more difficult for them by having them wear the collar without it being on sometimes, especially during the collar's introduction, but they generally figure it out eventually.

Gerry

Dacotah Eye 09-14-2021 11:37 AM

We have one for our Mini Schnauzer. It could be the one Jerry described. When we put it on her she whimpers a bit rather than barking. It's amazing to see how fast they learn. Sometimes we just lay it on our patio table where she can see it.

Jack G 09-14-2021 01:40 PM

I think bark collars work but you might have a tussle on your hands strapping them around your bad tenants necks.

Jack

Dacotah Eye 09-14-2021 03:04 PM

Might give em a Milkbone first??

johnboat 09-14-2021 03:47 PM

15 Attachment(s)
Short answer. Yes, bark collars do work.

They work for boredom barking, excitement barking, and attention/annoyance barking.

But for announcing intruders and defense barking, it's a little tougher.

In this case, with the dog being teased and basically forced to bark, I'd let the dog experience a vibrate followed by an electrical correction a time or 2, then switch to vibrate only/reward for the bark stop. At times when the owner is not home, vibrate followed by electrical correction may
be the only option.

For bark training, vibration only, in many cases, is just as effective as an electric correction, except in cases when the dog has a very strong drive.

Many are able to develop bark stop starting at beep followed by vibration.

I've had cases when a dog takes one electric shock, and it's done. And cases where it will take a week or three, but rarely more.

I'd hate to see prolonged electrical correction for bark stop on a dog being antagonized. A boredom or attention barker?.......I let them feel the bite. But not this dog.

Consistently and reward are the key.

Showing the officers video of your dirt bag tennant's antagonizing the dog should also help with the issue.

Good luck!

gbin 09-14-2021 04:25 PM

I guess I've encountered a lot of dogs with a strong drive, then. Could be. There's nothing to be lost by trying the collar in vibration mode, first; it might turn out that shock is required to get the point across but then vibration works thereafter, too. I would be sure to get a collar that isn't limited to vibration, in any event.

I would have the collar apply the stimulus (be it vibration or shock) automatically, too, even if someone is around who could conceivably tap a button when barking is expected to occur. Seen lots of people who are slow or inconsistent on making those taps, and that just delays the dog's learning. Bark detection on a good collar is excellent, and correction immediate.

Good idea on recording the other tenants' deliberate antagonism of the dog to show the police, if that's possible.

Gerry

johnboat 09-14-2021 10:03 PM

A true bark collar is
automatically activated by the dog itself.

Use a shock collar for bark training and you are wasting your time.

doubleheader 09-15-2021 05:11 AM

Training collars work but I would never recommend the use of a collar by an incompetent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gbin 09-15-2021 08:17 AM

[QUOTE=johnboat;6597152]A true bark collar is
automatically activated by the dog itself.

Use a shock collar for bark training and you are wasting your time.[/QUOTE]

There are dedicated bark collars, and there are more general purpose e-collars that have a bark setting. (There are also e-collars that don't have a bark setting, but they're not relevant here.) I recommend the latter because they tend to be better made and because they're useful for more training purposes besides stopping barking. It wasn't clear to me what it was you were recommending, so I clarified that it was best to use one that provided automated bark detection and correction.

You can use an e-collar manually (i.e. not on a bark setting) to stop barking, but it is more difficult and lots of people will not be very good at it.

[QUOTE=doubleheader;6597164]Training collars work but I would never recommend the use of a collar by an incompetent.[/QUOTE]

Using a bark collar/setting removes the competence of the trainer from the equation.

I agree, though, that people should be careful about knowing what they're doing if they're using an e-collar for other kinds of training. Lots of people don't take the time to learn what they are supposed to do; I've even seen professional dog trainers who in my opinion use them incorrectly. (Unfortunately a lot of people train however many of their own dogs by whatever means and it works to their satisfaction, so they think they know it all and can train any dog by the same means, and they offer their services for hire on that basis. The problem is that misuse of an e-collar is a great way to ruin some dogs.) Except in the case of stopping barking or extinguishing some other undesirable behavior, e.g. breaking dogs of running up on potentially venomous snakes, a good rule of thumb is that one should always train the behavior first using other means (especially reward-based methods), and then once the dog knows what's expected of it, use an e-collar to correct deviations from that.

Gerry