Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bark collars do they really work? (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726726)

GBS 09-15-2021 07:38 AM

Good points by all here. The other consideration - improper use of the collar can teach the dog to just stifle the warning signs - growl, bark, etc. Then you get a situation where it lunges, attacks, even bites, with no warning at all. Boredom barking or excitement barking is one thing. Eliminating defensive barking doesn't remove the feeling of threat the dog is experiencing. Just teaches it to defend silently.

Dave in Walker 09-15-2021 07:40 AM

I had one from a reliable company, I thought, the shock went off and stayed on by itself, not a happy dog

gbin 09-15-2021 07:43 AM

[QUOTE=Dave in Walker;6597206]I had one from a reliable company, I thought, the shock went off and stayed on by itself, not a happy dog[/QUOTE]

:eek:

That's a malfunction of lawsuit proportions. Haven't heard of that before.

Gerry

Baseline 09-15-2021 02:44 PM

I don't know a thing about bark collars, but your post reminded me why I got out of the rental business.

REW 09-15-2021 09:51 PM

Caution,
Research has shown that a bark collar can be used for training purposes for a short period of time, but never after that. Certainly not for a long time like in years.

Many reports of dogs being driven insane from the over use of bark collars.

If you use the collars, use it only for a short time and keep the intensity as low as possible.

-------------------
Just think how you would feel if someone else could give you a hefty shock when ever they felt like it. I expect that treatment would drive a lot of people insane as well.

Take care

Huntindave 09-16-2021 03:50 AM

[QUOTE=REW;6597398]Caution,
Research has shown that a bark collar can be used for training purposes for a short period of time, but never after that. Certainly not for a long time like in years.

Many reports of dogs being driven insane from the over use of bark collars.

If you use the collars, use it only for a short time and keep the intensity as low as possible.

-------------------
Just think how you would feel if someone else could give you a hefty shock when ever they felt like it. I expect that treatment would drive a lot of people insane as well.

Take care[/QUOTE]

REW
You normally do a very good job of providing links when you respond to a thread. Please provide us with a link to the research you reference. I imagine most folks may not be aware. Thanks

johnboat 09-16-2021 05:02 AM

Yes, please do.

Then define "many".

"Many" as in 150 or many as in 100,000?

.00025%?

ECIRandy 09-16-2021 07:40 AM

We use a SportDog Training collar (I think that's the name of it) that lets you use an audible alarm, vibration and then shock by varying degrees. It seems to work well for us. We only put it on when we're having company over. We adopted a Golden Doodle that is very protective of our family. and a single mild shock usually stops the aggressiveness.

gbin 09-16-2021 10:24 AM

[QUOTE=REW;6597398]Research has shown that a bark collar...[/QUOTE]

Outright trolling now, REW? Or was that just a markedly new low in your typical behavior?

In any event, it just may be the biggest, steamiest pile of BS you've ever posted here. If you're opposed to the use of e-collars then just say that, don't make up garbage about them. A number of us here are actually familiar, some of us even quite experienced, with them, and know the truth to be otherwise.

NOTE TO EVERYONE ELSE: E-collars have been banned in the UK (the same place where they're now preparing to ban lobster, etc. boiling) for a few years now partly because of some folks pushing lying propaganda against them as REW just posted here. Don't think for a moment that his misbehavior is harmless.

Gerry

mhouge 09-16-2021 06:25 PM

As a lifetime dog owner, bark collars work. But only if you plan to spend $100+. And only by a reputable company. As others have said, it might first give a beep, then a vibration, then a mild shock. If the mild shock doesn't work, a bigger shock, etc.

Trust me, with a high quality bark collar, your dog will only explore the bigger shock level once.

A training collar is completely different. This is used with a remote. It's not a bark collar, it's used for correction as the dog is being trained (or actively watched).

I test any collar on myself first. With my Dogtra training collar, I've turned it all way up to 127 (1-127). At 127, it makes your nerves force your muscles to do odd things, and it's very uncomfortable.

At at setting of 30, our new mini-bull terrier heals nicely when everything else fails.

The point is, you have to use that zap with a command at the same time. You can't use the zapper as a lazy way to not train your dog.

Using this is much more humane than using a pointy choker collar for correction.

With that said, your tenets need to be kicked out (the ones that harass the dog to get it to bark).