Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Trip From Central Fla To Central WI (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696410)

fishin10 07-16-2019 07:11 PM

Trip From Central Fla To Central WI

Leaving Friday for Waupaca Wi to get some fishing in with my brother. Going to take the long way to avoid Indy,Chicago and Milwaukee(I 75,24,57,74,55,39,90,39 and Sr 54) any large areas of road construction to worry about. Thanks!

tandm 07-16-2019 08:03 PM

I39 had construction prior to the 4th of July. Looked like an overhead bridge project and I39 was one lane each way.. Other than construction speed limit, no real issue. It was north of Lasalle, Illinois.

Aspencreek 07-16-2019 08:21 PM

C'mon up, the weather is hot and humid. Your route is the ONLY way to get here. Other than having to get around/thru Atlanta and Nashville, that is the best way. The mapping services will take you thru Chicago only because your route is about 30 miles longer, but that gets eaten up very easily by Louisville, Indy and Chicago. I39 from the WI border to Madison is being expanded to 3 lanes in each direction, but it is about a 10yr project (some say it's going to be the workers lifes work) but lanes are open and move along well. It is Orange barrel season everywhere.

PS, bring your bug spray, our wet summer has now been followed by very hot, so the bugs have had a great breeding season so far.

fishin10 07-16-2019 08:46 PM

[QUOTE=Aspencreek;6341544]C'mon up, the weather is hot and humid. Your route is the ONLY way to get here. Other than having to get around/thru Atlanta and Nashville, that is the best way. The mapping services will take you thru Chicago only because your route is about 30 miles longer, but that gets eaten up very easily by Louisville, Indy and Chicago. I39 from the WI border to Madison is being expanded to 3 lanes in each direction, but it is about a 10yr project (some say it's going to be the workers lifes work) but lanes are open and move along well. It is Orange barrel season everywhere.

PS, bring your bug spray, our wet summer has now been followed by very hot, so the bugs have had a great breeding season so far.[/QUOTE]
I hear you on the BUG Spray! It's been HOT and Humid down here for quite some time. Going to stop at Cabelas in the Madison area to snoop around, then head on. Encountered the WI road construction last spring on the way to Canada. Going to fish mainly Poygan and the Waupaca chain and finalize the details and send the deposit on a fishing trip to Eagle Lake ON next year.
Going to take a side trip to Altoona to look at the Union Pacific Steam Engine 4014 spending the day there on it's excursion. Looking forward to some real Wisconsin food.

muskyman73 07-17-2019 12:32 AM

trip

24 has some construction going on, minor on 57. Otherwise you have the right idea, 57 is a breeze, cruise control and take it easy. Just got finished towing the boat that way from chicago.

grindstone 07-17-2019 11:40 AM

Waze? It is the only way to travel. Down load the free app and it will reroute you as conditions change ahead. At first I would have the wife fire it up if the interstate came to a stop. Just knowing how long the backup would be allowed me to relax. Over the several years I have used it I have learned to leave it on. It will reroute you before you get stuck in stopped traffic. I now have gotten to where I'll follow Waze directions even if I think I know better. Simply amazing technology. Enjoy your cheese curds and defiantly sample the New Glarus Beers - Moon Man and all the rest

ECIRandy 07-17-2019 02:14 PM

Make sure and have a Brandy Old Fashioned Sweet or Sour while in Wis.

fishin10 07-17-2019 03:39 PM

[QUOTE=ECIRandy;6341778]Make sure and have a Brandy Old Fashioned Sweet or Sour while in Wis.[/QUOTE]
Big 10-4 on that! Hope I can find a local tavern that has a honest to goodness PERCH fish fry. Will be stopping in Racine on the way home at O&H Bakery to load up!

7 Mag 07-17-2019 05:34 PM

Other than Illinois raising their gas tax and the Southern Wisconsin road construction the route should be good.

fishin10 07-17-2019 06:04 PM

Thanks All for the responses.