Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electronics (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Using CMap Genesis Live on HDSLive12 (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=695906)

cmdworker 07-01-2019 12:36 PM

Using CMap Genesis Live on HDSLive12

Hi, yesterday I successfully mapped an area on my reservoir using CMAP Genesis Live. I bought a blank 32Gb micro SD, and ovellayed those contours I created onto the preloaded CMAP that comes with every HDSLive. Everything went great creating my own contours. My question is, once I am done mapping a certain area, and don't need to record anymore, how do I view the contours/map I just created, without continuing to record? Thanks very much

cmdworker 07-02-2019 11:38 AM

Problems with Lowrance CMAP Genesis Live: Warning for Prospective Buyers

So, I did some followup with Lowrance on this. Creating my own map with CMAP Genesis Live, without having to share publicly, or pay $100/yr was the reason I bought this HDS Live unit. My particular reservoir is available on Navionics, but, it's an old, and and inaccurate map, so, I wanted to create my own. I went out, and successfully mapped a small portion of my reservoir Sun. The contours using CMAP Genesis were awesome, and you could see it improving directly on the screen as you made more passes over the spot. The problem I had, was, I wanted to stop recording at one point, because I went over the same spot several times, and didn't need to continue recording. Well, come to find out, you can't stop recording. If the CMAP Genesis overlay is turned on (meaning you are viewing/using the map you created) it is continually recording, and adding info to the map. The problem with this, is my reservoir varies in depth wildly, because it is used for irrigation. So, my goal was to do my mapping when the reservoir was completely full. So, if I map an area, now, and want to fish it next Spring when the reservoir is 30ft lower, it's going to add to those contours, and change the map. Very disappointed by this. Could be solved by having a stop sonar recording, or show overlay only feature, instead of continually recording, even if you just want to view your map. Just wanted to share this, if anyone is in my same situation. I probably wouldn't have bought it, if I had known this. Thanks

manitoba450es 07-05-2019 11:16 AM

look into reef master software. $200 one time purchase create all the maps you want and bring them back to your lowrance unit

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

eyeboom 07-06-2019 01:31 PM

Wow! Good to know. I was thinking of upgrading also, but I'm in a similar situation fishing reservoirs. I would think that Lowrance could develop a software update to provide an "off" option.

sweet03cobra 07-08-2019 12:31 PM

so I have a HDS 9 live and want to do the same thing, I don't have a chip in mine right now and it looks like it is always scanning and recording but contours never pop up. Do i have to have a micro sd card in to make this work? Just buy a blank chip and stick it in there?

cmdworker 07-08-2019 12:39 PM

[QUOTE=sweet03cobra;6338700]so I have a HDS 9 live and want to do the same thing, I don't have a chip in mine right now and it looks like it is always scanning and recording but contours never pop up. Do i have to have a micro sd card in to make this work? Just buy a blank chip and stick it in there?[/QUOTE]

Yep, just takes a blank microSD, max of 32Gb. I have a Navionics chip in #1, and the SD in #2 slot. I think you can overlay the contours you produce onto a Navionics map, if it's new enough, but, I just overlayed mine onto the pre-loaded map that comes with the unit, since my reservoir is shoreline only mapped on that one.

cmdworker 07-08-2019 12:42 PM

[QUOTE=eyeboom;6338192]Wow! Good to know. I was thinking of upgrading also, but I'm in a similar situation fishing reservoirs. I would think that Lowrance could develop a software update to provide an "off" option.[/QUOTE]

For sure. I hope Lowrance can accomplish just that, with a software update. Would truly piss me off after spending all that money, not knowing that, and having to wait until the next unit for that feature. This would be the last Lowrance I'd ever buy if that was the case.

sweet03cobra 07-08-2019 12:50 PM

[QUOTE=cmdworker;6338706]Yep, just takes a blank microSD, max of 32Gb. I have a Navionics chip in #1, and the SD in #2 slot. I think you can overlay the contours you produce onto a Navionics map, if it's new enough, but, I just overlayed mine onto the pre-loaded map that comes with the unit, since my reservoir is shoreline only mapped on that one.[/QUOTE]

yep just bought the lowrance 1 month ago so it must be new enough, good to know I almost bought a 128mb chip so that wouldn't work right, just get a 32? Put it in one of the ports and do what I normally do and the contours will just start showing up?

cmdworker 07-08-2019 01:01 PM

[QUOTE=sweet03cobra;6338710]yep just bought the lowrance 1 month ago so it must be new enough, good to know I almost bought a 128mb chip so that wouldn't work right, just get a 32? Put it in one of the ports and do what I normally do and the contours will just start showing up?[/QUOTE]

I think the reasoning behind the 32Gb or less is that it can take the unit so long to refresh if you zoom, to dig through all those files. Go to whichever map you want to put your new contours on, and go to options-overlay-Genesis Live

sweet03cobra 07-08-2019 01:34 PM

Awesome, I will got get a chip and give it a shot