Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - How to drive in big water
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2021, 09:26 PM
Keeper

Default True story, as short as possible

This'll be a bit long but it's all true.

Memorial Day weekend in 2002 on a Tuesday I picked up a new boat. A Monark King 190. Bottom of the barrel boat looking back but I had no clue back then. The boat had zero strakes, had a kicker on the starboard side & had a big lean to the right (me + the kicker). Gunnels were 98", but the chine was only 71-72". This was also the 1st boat with a steering wheel that I was ever in. The boat never made a left turn for some unknown reason.

Ran it locally for a couple days to get the feel for it. No biggey.

On Friday, to Lake Ontario we went.

The wife & I had a weekend trip planned around Henderson Harbor. I read all about "watch the weather" & I did (bluebird skies & breezy), so I crossed the bay to show off the boat to my parents who were camping @Westcot Beach if I remember correctly. it was a bit breezy & I was going with the wind.

2 miles maybe crossing the bay. No biggey.

While I was there, the breeze turned into a major wind....and I had to get back to my dock. The campground is really protected so the wind was pretty calm.... until I passed into the bay & caught the lakes full wind, and now I was going dead into it.

I had to angle to my left because there was a point that broke the wind. To my right was the wind head on.

This boat was deep. Sitting in the seat, the gunnel would be up to your shoulder. The gunnel was nearly as high as the top of the Merc 125 that it came with. Hopefully that paints a picture. That boat was like holding a sheet of plywood and walking into the wind. It was terrible...no strakes, never made a left turn as long as I owned it.

What I wound up doing was angling up a wave, reach the crest, skoot to my left, angle down into a trough & repeat. Maybe i moved 10' with each crest, maybe 5'... I was just trying to stay alive. I always had a clear view of the next crest & of the point in the distance. Going straight into a wave took water over the bow, so I knew that was wrong. My hope was that I'd get lucky with the correct angle going up & down so I didn't roll the boat.

BUT-- One time in a trough, I looked to my right and the water was at least 1 1/2' above my head and I remember suddenly becoming aware of all around me was water. No land. I swear, I'm not exaggerating & there was no single moment where I was more outright terrified that I might not make it to land again. My wife called my cell after I was gone for hours, heard my voice and she went into a panic mode hearing me. All I said was "I can't talk right now" & threw the phone on the floor...can't talk with that much stuff going on.

The majority was me being a newbie, me not knowing my boat, me putting a kicker on the wrong side, me going to a lake where I should not have been, me not knowing what "read the weather" really meant, and me being clueless about what a boat can actually do... a rope bounced over & wrapped around my prop, killing the main engine. While sloshing around, I had to reach over & undo the tangle. The boat was fine, I was not... my nerves were shot. I still had 1 3/4 miles to go after that mess up

That 2 mile ride back to the dock took me almost 4 hours. And I was shot for the weekend. Even 12" rollers made my stomach sink, so I left the boat docked until we came home.

The following year, I traded it for a Lund 2025 Pro-V. The dealer said the next owner went to Ontario, got caught with the boat not handling well & traded it in for a SmokerCraft 2 weeks later.

For 8 or 10 years, I got goosebumps whenever I described all of these details... it's all true. Every word.

After all of it, I was told: "If you see the big boats docked on a sunny day-- stay on land because there's a reason they didn't go out"...bit more in-line with how to read the weather

I've gone to Ontario again but stayed in the bays, never had the courage to hit the main lake yet.

It's all true. There were so many things I shouldn't have done that weekend!!!

I attached a pic of the boat that I found online. When you're sitting in that & water is over your head and on a full 360 degrees--- it's scary as ****!!

Happy fishing!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	monark.png
Views:	95
Size:	364.5 KB
ID:	326258  

Last edited by FinmanPoozie; 05-07-2021 at 09:29 PM.