Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - First boat purchase ever. Could use some advice
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2021, 10:07 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdiddy View Post
Oh - I thought it was a complete replacement for the pedestal and seat. So you would opt for those pedestals rather than buy an air ride or pro ride set up from the manufacturer? Are they that much better?

Thanks for the recommendation on the charger brand. I am strongly leaning toward buying individual components of my own choosing and rigging things myself... I still can't understand why buying a minn kota trolling motor directly from lund coupled with a purchase of a boat is more expensive than buying it on my own from a separate retailer. Same with a fish finder.
Re: Pricing... Same reason a Kicker stereo unit that sells for $199 and a couple of Jensen speakers that are worth $50 a pair are priced in at $450; and same with seats, and bimini tops, etc. etc. etc. You can buy just the basic boat with no options and then spent months trying to find all the add-ons and install them yourself to save money. Or you can just go with the convenience of having it all factory supplied and installed and enjoy your boat on Day 1. See my other post above regarding availablilty of some of this stuff after-market these days. Also, in that post I mentioned the pricing - you need to factor in that the dealer who sells you the boat will cut a whack off the total base retail price (ie, the boat builder pricing), so that same percentage needs to be factored off the price of the accessories too, which makes them more reasonable compared to after market retail in the end. Not exact, but needs to be considered against the convenience factor.

Cheers