Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - First boat purchase ever. Could use some advice
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2021, 06:52 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowking View Post
Coast guard has allot to do with ratings. Same size boat does not mean it is built the same. Lund pro v verses my crossover. Pro v has thicker metal and beefed up transom so higher horsepower rating. If you have kids I would for sure look for a boat with rear jump seats. If you do any amount of trolling jump seats are nice. I never put the rear pedestal seats in. They are just in the way. Hydraulic Steering for 150 and up outboards. Otherwise Hydraulic not needed. If you are within 25 hp of max is close enough. Depending how small a boat your going to. If you are undecided between a 17 foot boat and a 18. Always go with the bigger boat. If you can afford it. Very few people say I bought to big of boat. They always wish they had bought the next size up. Normally I would say for a first boat go used. Because no matter how much you look around. Once you have a boat for a few years. You will likely change your mind about what you would have bought. With the used boat prices right now. Can not blame you for looking new. The other thing is try to order within the next few weeks. Way better chance of getting the boat in time for next year.
Thanks for the feedback. I have been wavering back and forth for more than a few years now on making this purchase... been saving and dreaming for a long time. I can see your point why someone should go with a used boat to get your feet wet and then re-evaluate. I feel like I have been thinking about this for so long that I will make a solid and logical decision.

I am currently eyeballing the Lund 1875 Impact XS but that's not set in stone... but I strongly feel that I would never need a higher calibre of boat beyond that range... nor would my budget accommodate more than that. Fully rigged that boat is somewhere around the $80K to $90K CDN range on Lund's boat build page... That's a ridiculous amount of money.