Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - Future Of Tournament Angling
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhowellsfishing View Post
I still love watching tournaments on TV, and I think Steve Fellegy's point about growing the fan base is right on the point. I have twin boys, ages nine, that love tournament fishing, and have hereos like Tommy Skarlis. I'll bet though that you'd be hard pressed to find any other nine year olds in their school that know much about tournament fishing. That is where in lies the problem. How do we get young people to aspire to become pros like their hero's. Someone has to figure out a way to reach these kids. You've got people pushing all kinds of other sports on kids, why not introducing them to fishing in the schools.

My boys have a cousin who plays basketball, bowling, football, in organized leagues. Thats all fine and good. My boys fish Lunds AYA tournaments, and fish for fun all summer long. Who is going to grow up being able to participate in their sport the longest? The kid who plays basketball, etc. or the kids who grow up hunting and fishing?

Just a thought.
You just might be surprised...... my son played A LOT of baseball, and travelled all over the US doing it as a young teen. Now, at 19, he has just signed up to fish the Walmart BFL Illini division.

Granted, he and I fished when it was possible, and even managed to win an AYA tournament in 2010, but I believe that since he wasn't able to fish as much before, now that he has decided that baseball isn't the career path that he wants to pursue, he is making up for the years that he missed. Quite frankly, I'm very excited for him, but I don't know where I went wrong......... Bass?

Oh well, it could be worse.......