Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - Lowrance 334
Thread: Lowrance 334
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 05:51 AM
Keeper

Default Airmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliftp View Post
Wonder if anyone has had any success with the losing bottom problem on the Lowrance 334 series sonars? Brief story on mine, it was completely replaced by Lowrance 3 years ago because it simply would not work with any consistency. I tried the latest software update, which has not been updated for awhile and it really didn't help much and would not boot at all with the Lakemaster chip in the unit. Lowrance graciously sent me the older version to re-install.

I finally gave up, went to my favorite store to upgrade to an HDS model and the owner of the store talked me into Humminbird. I have a 898 and a 788 and all I can say is I love them.

So, another friend has a 25 foot Trojan who I fish with on Lake Michigan frequently. I offered him my Lowrance 334 for free, the only caveat is he was not allowed to hate me when he got frustrated at the unit. He is an electrician who does mostly the micro stuff so is quite familiar with small electronics. Yesterday he replaced the regular power wire with a shielded wire and it actually seemed to help, but we still lost bottom frequently, but the GPS side was pretty darn good.

I've read about the Airmar transducers and also about so many people having problems and saying the unit was just not very good.

Has anyone found the Lowrance 334 secret. Hate to see him throw money at something that will possibly never work as advertised.

Thanks for any help. Trying to keep him from hating me for giving him a free Lowrance.

Paul C.
Mattawan, MI
May 17, 2013 Lowrance Update....well Rick bought the AIRMAR transducer and stuck it on his boat. Maiden voyage yesterday. It worked! Who knows, if I'd have know about AIRMAR before I converted to the "other" company, might still be with Lowrance. Seriously though, never lost bottom once, even cruising in the 20 MPH range. The new owner of the Lowrance is happy, and I certainly am glad it is finally working.

A big thank you to Brian, aka Perchjerker, for the tip.

Paul C.