Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - Is it worth switching motors?
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2021, 11:56 AM
Wallhanger

I have re-powered twice and made $s doing it.
I first purchased a new to us boat/hull that the wife & I liked that would fit our modest fishing activities.
This was a Alumacrafft Competitor tiller model, going into the purchase I knew I was going to upgrade
the motor sooner than later.
Under a year into having the rig, an oppurtinity came up for a carb'ed four stroke mercury.
It was priced great, picked it up, pulled the Johnson 2-stroke off and sold it for about $800 more than i paid for the Merc.
The following year late winter/early spring a local ad caught my attention, it was a whole older rig with a six year newer Merc 4-stroke efi fuel injected, priced great.
It was a no-brainer that I moved on asap, purchased that rig on a Friday afternoon,
Spent Saturday cleaning the inside out a bit, removed a few things I could use for myself, electronics and such.
Place a craigslist ad up Sunday morning for just my four stroke carb'ed mercury which was still on the transom of our alumacrafft sitting behind the house from winter storage.

I also mentioned in the ad that I had the other boat and trailer and would give a great deal to the buyer of the motor.

Phone rang off the hook, was sold to the first buyer that came to look, maybe an hour after the ad went up. He even helped me uncover and place the battery in the alumacrafft so I could fire that motor up for him. Fired right up after sitting all fall & winter.

He wanted the other boat and trailer as well.
When all said and done, I was ahead maybe $600 give or take, its been awhile.

We don't fish every weekend, but when we do, I have no complaints and would do it again.

Not saying you will make money during the re-power, but so long as the 2 stroke is solid running
you will be able to recover some of the upgrade $s and won't be disappointed with the Honda.
Just make sure you compression test it and maybe a leak down

Last edited by cyber16; 07-29-2021 at 11:59 AM.