Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - Is it worth switching motors?
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2021, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sandy View Post
I have a chance to buy a 2006 Honda 115HP four stroke engine.
I presently have a 2002 mercury 125HP 2 stroke 2+2 that idles at 4 mph.
My boat is a 2004 Crestliner fishhawk 1750.
Would this be a worth wile upgrade to a four stroke?
I used to have that boat motor combo, almost. Mine was 3-4 years older, and a 115 2+2.

The Merc 2+2 115 and 125 were IMO extremely durable, dependable, reliable motors, that lacked convenience and fuel economy. One data point - my next and current boat has a 275 Verado. When I go on the same multiple day trips that I used to go on with my 115 2+2 - I am within 1-3 gallons of useage over a 4 day span with my 275 Verado as I was with the 115. The four stroke Honda will be so much better in fuel consumption, you won't fill the gas tank on the boat anymore because it will last so long.

While the 2+2 has lots of strong points - if you want to go fishing, that motor will take you fishing every time. If you upgrade to a 4 stroke, get one that has fuel injection, you'll be done fiddling with choke levers and the throttle, and locking out of gear to achieve a fast idle, re-starting during warm up, all that fiddling around will be gone. The smoke never bothered me, the noise never bothered me, but that's also gone.

Short story - I feel it would be worth selling your motor on the used market, and buying a late model 4 stroke that cost 9-10K, the difference is that significant. You've got the opportunity to do that for $3400? It's a no brainer, you should have done it yesterday.

A Friend of mine replace his 90 hp Mariner with similar tech to the 2+2, to a 90 Merc 4 stroke, and ran his boat for another 8 plus years. That was a $9,000 motor, and he was able to net that a little bit by selling his Mariner, and a kicker that he had. His only comment EVER, was that he should have done it sooner.

The only reason I would hold off, is if your current plans were to sell that boat in the next 1-3 years, that may present a little bit of a pause. JMHO.