Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - Any disabled vets want a couple days on Peck next spring?
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2017, 11:35 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreindy View Post
Just wanted to say thank you to you for thinking to do this.

I work in a hospital and encounter ill, hurting, dying, confused or sad elderly every day. I learned early to try to find the "person" behind the illness, and I have been purposeful in bringing up "fishing" and "backwoods adventures" as I do the work with the patient that I need to do. Very rarely do these topics not illicit thoughts of very good times and I see a twinkle in an eye where there once was not.
I know what you are saying. I came back from the desert body and mind broken and thought I would never fish or hunt again. That left a huge hole in my life. I still have issues getting around a bit but the motivation to actually get back to the outdoors was a massive boost in terms of motivation and beating the physical wounds and as well as the PTSD side. The biggest thing getting a disabled combat vet back on track is purpose, be it working or resuming activities that one is or was passionate about. many of of us came back and lost passion for life itself. Regaining a passion for fishing or whatever is key to saving many vet's from ending it all.

The very best times I have had on the water over the past few years has been with fellow vets. Like you said about the twinkle in their eyes, the outdoors is magical. It is part of our being as humans IMO.