Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - What material(s) to use on larger jigs?
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2019, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

At one time, I used a lot of fake fur -the stuff which sort of looked like polar bear hair, and it worked pretty OK(and regular polar bear hair before it became taboo). I did have a bit of a mental problem in that the fake fur would collect dirt off the bottom, and I felt it didn't seem as attractive to me, so I pretty much stopped tying with it. I've tried a variety of other synthetic items which were offered as bucktail substitutes, have not really liked the action of most. They have a multitude of names, sometimes different names for the same item, depending on who is selling it. Bottom line is that I feel bucktail has the best action of the stuff which I've tried. I use the hair closer to the front, which is more hollow, if I want it to flair more, otherwise just the regular tail hair. Sorry to be so long winded, just recapping about 65 years of my experiences.

Bill