Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - How much backing for braid super-lines?
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2019, 08:42 PM

Just a though here. I haven't seen any braid sold in less than 125 yards. I can't imagine spooling up with a hundred yards of braid on any really except for really big powerful fish and putting on only 100 yards is wasting 25 yards (the smallest spool I've seen sold).so I back it up so that I only use half the spool. That's more than 180 feet of braid on my reel. I never used up all the braid no matter what size fish I caught. Super long trolls may be a different matter but casting for pike or trolling for pike isn't going to use it all up. I usually rig two rods with the same setup. Have never had a problem. Of course some may say my fish are light weights but I don' think so. Just saying 100 yards is a lot of line. One other thing. After a year or two I just lay out the braid on the lawn and switch ends. It's like starting over with new line again. Just something to think about to save some bucks for more lures lost on pike.