Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - Why pro walleye tournaments suck from a fan's perspective!!!
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013, 06:50 AM
bassfan256

Thumbs down Why pro walleye tournaments suck from a fan's perspective!!!

With all the pro walleye tournament circuits folding up and smaller fields and everyone complaining about it and wondering why I just thought I would offer my two cents on the subject from a walleye fan's perspective.

I have followed walleye touraments since 1997 with the PWT and its walleye in-sider which was awesome they always broke down how the pros won the tournament, depth of water, type of cover, trolling jiggging or casting, what type of presentation they used crankbaits, jigs, rigs or whatever, they even showed how new technology helped them catch the tournament winning fish. Then you would watch the tounament coverage on tv and Mark Dorn would pull up right next to the tournament leader and break it down for you on exactly what the leader was doing it was awesome.

So then I would go out and buy alot of this tackle that the top five tournament finisher used and try it on my home waters and in little local team tournaments, Granted I spent a little to much and wife threatend to leave me a few times but thats fishing right. Some times it worked and sometimes it didn't and I sold a bunch of stuff on ebay so I could by more of the latest and greatest tackle.

Now look at the recent article on here about the NWT championship not even one mention on how or what the tournament winner was doing or what he used to win the tournament!!!Another example a couple of years ago my nefu and I took the time to watch the flw live streaming weigh in of a tournament and after first day it was made to seem that the tournament leader was trolling spinner harness and after final weigh in they still didn't break down the presentation and my nefu told me that sucked uncle why did we even waste the time watching this they didn't even show how the winner caught them. Then much later come to find out he was using bass spinnerbaits, its almost as if they were keeping it secret, how can you do this to your fans and sponsors on a professional level just think how many more spinnnerbaits would have been sold if the winner would have showed this after the tournament was over and how many walleye fans could have taken to their home wates trying this new presentation.

Since watching that oahe event my nefu has gone from being a walleye fan to a bass fan, he showed me a live stream of a bass tournament and after the tournament they broke down the exact way the winner caught his fish and what he caught it on no secrets, no waiting months to find out what winner was using, no pissed off fans. Then we could go out buy the lure he used and try it out the next day on our local bass pond. I would think this is how alot of money is made quickly for fishing tackle manufactures, and why they have a pro staff.

What is the point of having pro walleye tournaments if the winning presentation, lure or technique is not shown to the fans right away on the stage when pro is handed trophy. I dont mean to take away credit from the pro who won because I am sure it took alot of hard work and sacrafices to win, but cmon i want somthing that will help me put more walleye in my boat or whats the point of watching walleye tournaments!!!

These are just a couple of examples of why alot of my walleye fishing stuff will be posted on ebay this winter so I can buy a little more bass tackle and why I now have a subscribtion to BASS like my nefu. Hopefully one day a tournament circuit like the PWT will return to walleye fishing.

Just my 2cents worth, take it or leave it.